Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
clearcolored

How does the call to action show up for the Hero's Journey?

5 posts in this topic

I just finished the Hero's Journey video in the life purpose course. How has the call to action shown up for you? Is it an external or an internal call? How do you know what counts as a call? Do you just know? 

It could be anything.  Getting an idea to move to a new city.  Asking out that person you like.  Starting a business.  Doing psychedelics for the first time. 

I imagine that people can have many larger and smaller Hero's Journeys, even at the same time. 

Basically, it seems to me like it's any decision you do that you feel maybe some fear in doing (or not),  but that kind of puts you in a new direction, domain of life, realm, etc..  Like a small one could be buying your first self-help book.  This would put you in touch with a whole new domain of life.  A bigger one might be getting married. 

Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

@Matt23

9 hours ago, Matt23 said:

It could be anything.  Getting an idea to move to a new city.  Asking out that person you like.  Starting a business.  Doing psychedelics for the first time. 

I imagine that people can have many larger and smaller Hero's Journeys, even at the same time. 

Basically, it seems to me like it's any decision you do that you feel maybe some fear in doing (or not),  but that kind of puts you in a new direction, domain of life, realm, etc..  Like a small one could be buying your first self-help book.  This would put you in touch with a whole new domain of life.  A bigger one might be getting married. 

That makes sense, thanks for the response. I get ideas to do new things all the time. I actually started keeping track of it, and I get an average of 15 ideas per day to move somewhere, start a new job, start a business, start a new hobby, etc. It's hard for me to decipher which ones are a true "call to action" and which are just due to my brain pattern of thinking of new ideas all the time when I'm unsatisfied with my current life. Right now, I think my "call to action" is just Leo's claim that only 5% of people finish self help courses, my history of being a self help junkie and never finishing a course, and my desire to finish this life purpose course. I think that counts <3. 

In the Hero's Journey model, first the hero rejects the call, but the calls persist until they finally accept. So if you're having trouble deciphering multiple calls to action, you can filter out the ones that only come up once, and then die out. If your brain keeps coming back to the same thing over and over, or opportunities keep popping up in one area, that's a pretty good sign.

@Yarco

On 8/3/2021 at 1:01 PM, Yarco said:

In the Hero's Journey model, first the hero rejects the call, but the calls persist until they finally accept. So if you're having trouble deciphering multiple calls to action, you can filter out the ones that only come up once, and then die out. If your brain keeps coming back to the same thing over and over, or opportunities keep popping up in one area, that's a pretty good sign.

Yes, that is true. I realized that too when I started reading the recommended Joseph Campbell books. Thank you!