Mesopotamian

I Need HELP, A Helping Hand To Get Me Out of Iraq

64 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

It is truly impossible to make it on my own in Iraq. Some issues are beyond my capabilities to deal with. I write here because I have faith that some of you can understand what I am going through and therefore become open to help me after that.

Being trapped in Iraq is not a funny experience, this highly tribal society. I've lost touch from my family/tribe of minority shortly after ISIS took over the city of Mosul and ended the presence of our minority there (luckily, they didn't enslave us, but only expelled us over a night out of the city). I moved to a safe place in Iraqi Kurdistan, and right now I am living like an expat in my own country, with no family, and no society. I only have friends. Majority of my friends are non-Iraqis living and working here, but they are reluctant to help me leave this country, after all, I am more useful to them here In Iraq than if I live elsewhere.

However, I am OK with my emotional life, and I am extremely stable person, the issue though is that I am a single man, and I've passed the phase where I can get married and get a family of my own. After I came out as an atheist at some point in the past, I now have a bad reputation and deemed not suitable for marriage. I've lost touch with my community anyways.

Now Imagine if you are a single in Iraq, a country where family values are the staple of all its societies, I can tell you, being a single situation resembles in some ways being gay some 50 years ago, or even being a black man in America. Singles have no civil rights, and they can't have a security clearance to even rent their own place, because they are deemed danger to the society, because God forbid, they might have a relationship without marriage and have kids against the will of the sky.

I don't know of ANY single man like me in Iraq other than myself, because majority of people are at lower consciousness state, and can't even break free of family values, and also single woman who live by their own are unheard of. So it is just useless if I try to mobilize people and change the society if I am the only person I know of who was able to break free from the old norms and traditions.

I need your help, otherwise, I will stay and decay here. This is my third year living in a hotel room, and things are getting hard for me with the confined space of my hotel room. The owner is a tribal man, and I've been respecting him and the way he thinks for a while, but the issue is that he's an inconsiderate person, and none of the workers in the hotel last more than 3 months working under him. I've been agreeing to his complains about the situation of his workers and how they are not so willing to become his slave, and trying to  engage with him and change his views even a bit, but he's not changing.

If I could only walk in to a real estate agent and rent my own home! of course this is not possible, cuz I am a single man.

Other hardships that I am facing here is that I want to express myself, and lead a life that's environmentally friendly,  but it is not possible. imagine that you are forced to use single plastic bags every day just because there are no better systems in place. I might get killed if I try to confront the folks around me about bad habits, I'd be lucky if they call me crazy. I know they are doing so when they see me respect traffic laws, put a helmet over my head and wear a reflective suite when I drive my bike around the city. 

Therefore, I need help, it would be great if someone can extend their hand to me and give me another chance in this world, hopefully in a quick way like marriage. Because my British, Ukrainian, American, French ...Belgium, Italian friends whom I've ate with, laughed, helped in the past, they can't feel my pain, therefore, they are OK with leaving me here to decay.

The best chance I got was with a stage-Orange friend, who suggested he'd help me, but then I need to make an investment in Europe, I told him I don't have money for that kind of project!

I do have a face, and I am willing to make a real connection with anyone willing to help me. It is just that I don't think it is the right idea to publish my personal details for everyone to see, although in the future if things got worse, I might be willing to do that.

Thank you.

Edited by Mesopotamian

How much money to you need to leave Iraq?

You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

Posted (edited)

Where do you want to escape to? Europe?

What do you need to be eligible to apply for asylum? Or better, can't you just get a work permit? 

I don't get what is stopping you exactly from leaving right this moment.

Edited by Girzo

Consider coming to Finland. You can start a good life here if you are granted refugee status, lots of government aids to get you started. The hardest part from what I understand is physically getting here so you can begin the asylum seeker process. And it sounds like you might not be eligeble for asylum. But I don't fully remember the criteria. Work or study permit would be best, you can be more comfortable here if you get that. I can help out with practicalities if you somehow make it over here.

Every perspective has at least a piece of the truth in it.

No one is capable of being 100% wrong.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

How much money to you need to leave Iraq?

Hi Leo, Thank you for taking the time to write here.

I think amount of money depends on which plan I should go with.

- If I had to do it immediately and go to yet another third world country allowed by my Iraqi passport, I would need airline ticket + about $500 per month to support myself and live under a roof until I rebuild a new life.

-Citizenship of the Caribbean state coasts about $110K

- This is why I believe marriage to a Westeren citizen could be the best second chance that I can be granted. It allows me a vast freedom of movement, with lest cost, and I am so ready for that.

1 hour ago, Girzo said:

Where do you want to escape to? Europe?

What do you need to be eligible to apply for asylum? Or better, can't you just get a work permit? 

I don't get what is stopping you exactly from leaving right this moment.

43 minutes ago, TheAlchemist said:

Consider coming to Finland. You can start a good life here if you are granted refugee status, lots of government aids to get you started. The hardest part from what I understand is physically getting here so you can begin the asylum seeker process. And it sounds like you might not be eligeble for asylum. But I don't fully remember the criteria. Work or study permit would be best, you can be more comfortable here if you get that. I can help out with practicalities if you somehow make it over here.

Only rich Iraqis are allowed to Europe after proving they have hundreds of thousands of dollars in the bank, and own businesses and homes. Otherwise Iraqi passport is probably the second worse passport in the world. Poor people need to go by rubber boats if they want to get there. I am not foolish enough to attempt that.

Also I am not skilled in any particular field therefore my chances are very slim, I've skipped college in the past, so good luck for me.

@Mesopotamian What countries are you able to go to?

17 minutes ago, Mesopotamian said:

Hi Leo, Thank you for taking the time to write here.

I think amount of money depends on which plan I should go with.

- If I had to do it immediately and go to yet another third world country allowed by my Iraqi passport, I would need airline ticket + about $500 per month to support myself and live under a roof until I rebuild a new life.

-Citizenship of the Caribbean state coasts about $110K

- This is why I believe marriage to a Westeren citizen could be the best second chance that I can be granted. It allows me a vast freedom of movement, with lest cost, and I am so ready for that.

Go to a US embassy and talk with the migrations office. You will need a passport and to get a green card. Your gonna need a good bit of money, as the green card is $1200, airline ticket varies, and finding a place to stay and live in America will be based on where you choose to fly into, but there are programs here in America that help foreign citizens find cheaper living.

https://www.usa.gov/enter-us

https://www.boundless.com/immigration-resources/the-green-card-explained/

5 minutes ago, Kamo said:

as the green card is $1200

You can't just buy a US Green Card. Lol

4 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

You can move to Pakistan or India. Very easy.

Probably less of a culture shock too and it is quite normal to use English there I guess.

1 minute ago, Girzo said:

Probably less of a culture shock too and it is quite normal to use English there I guess.

Yea I mostly speak English with my country folks 

INFJ loner... .shy girl.. 

Quick access to journal entries

@Mesopotamian If I were you. I would try to travel to Iran or Malaysia from Iraq. 

" You will face many defeats in life, but never let yourself be defeated." Maya Angelou

6 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

You can't just buy a US Green Card. Lol

The application or filing fee I mean, Your right my bad lol.

How possible is to pass Turkey and escape to Greece? 

A lot of refugees and immigrants come like that here but its not an ideal scenario.

4 minutes ago, PhilGR said:

How possible is to pass Turkey and escape to Greece? 

A lot of refugees and immigrants come like that here but its not an ideal scenario.

There is apparently a new way through Russia and Belarus. Refugees are entering Lithuania now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/19/world/europe/lithuania-belarus-migrants-european-union.html

Association with the wise is the root cause for obliterating all misery. -  Tripura Rahasya

Posted (edited)

@Mesopotamian

We are essentially in a similar situation. So, I feel your suffering. I am now back in my home country (3rd world) after a tragic divorce with my Japanese wife. I lived and worked in Japan for a few years. Yes, getting a spouse visa via marriage is the quickest way to migrate to a 1st world country. It also gives you the same amount of freedom as your spouse. But it is also risky because many marriages (local and international) end in divorce. That means you will lose your spouse visa and be forced to leave the 1st world country. That's exactly what happened to me. I don't intend to discourage you from marrying a western woman. I am just showing you the inherent risk of that path.

I want to relocate to any country in North East Asia (especially South Korea) because my intuition reveals it to me. Many things I love and treasure exist there, so I must go there. Decide where exactly you want to go. But always listen to your intuition. I hope you are in touch with it. I am open to another marriage to get a spouse visa but that is not my priority because of the tragedy I experienced.

So, I have been looking for a job from a North East Asian company which sponsors a work visa. It is very difficult because they prefer citizens from a native English-speaking country. My experience working as an IT Support for America's AT&T and Australia's Telstra matters less because I have a 3rd world passport. My teaching experience is also insignificant. The world is dumb and unfair, and very limiting. But I will continue looking despite it all. I hope I'll eventually be lucky. 

Since you don't have a bachelor's degree, it will be impossible for you to get a work visa from 1st world countries unless it's from a mind-numbing and humiliating blue collar job which 1st world citizens avoid.

It seems you are willing to relocate to a 3rd world country. This might be helpful to you. Come and join our English Club in Cianjur, Indonesia

It is a host from workaway.info. You click on 'find a host' then enter your desired country. You will see many hosts looking for travelers who can help them with their English skills, daily routine, gardening, computers, business activities, etc. In return, they will offer you free accommodation and food. Some hosts even offer payment. I chose an Indonesian host because I assume you can go there without a visa. But you can choose any country. It's a good way to relocate and start establishing your life in a foreign country. I hope you will also be lucky. 

Edited by jimwell
changed the word order and punctuation of a sentence

Man what privilege it to live in a first world country I never knew it was this difficult to leave some parts of the world.

12 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@Mesopotamian What countries are you able to go to?

According to my research, here are the available options for me:

Visa On Arrival :
Cape Verde
Comoros
Lebanon
Madagascar
Mauritania
Mozambique
Palau
Rwanda
Senegal
Seychelles
Somalia
Sri Lanka
Timor-Leste
Togo
Tuvalu
Uganda
-------

Visa not required:
Haiti
Malaysia
Micronesia
Palau
Samoa

The rest of the countries I am required to apply for a visa personally, or E-visa, and the difficulties of that varies. Some countries require that you prove that you own properties, bank account in Iraq so that they allow you in.

@jimwell

I am sorry to learn about your situation, it is a sad thing to lose your access to Japan.

I think we should start a club where members get married only for Visa purposes what do you think?

It is great that you seem to have a plan, something in mind like South Korea.

You actually have experienced working in international companies, yet your passports matters the most for many, what a tragedy, me, I gave up study completely after the Iraqi war, so my chances are lesser than you are.

Thank you for sharing the Workaway website, I'll have a look definitely. I would like to share InterNations.org I've met many of my international friends there, and gives great opportunity of networking.

Indonesia is on my radar, along with Malaysia, I believe they are neighbor countries. Malaysia is one of the fewer countries in the world which theoretically I can walk into with no visa required.

Best of luck to you too!