Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SaWaSaurus

Noam chomsky on the education system

4 posts in this topic

What do you all think about Chomsky's analysis of the education system, that it's broadly a system that maximizes for obedience? Not to say that no education system is better than the current system, but that the way the system is designed is not to create human beings who will innovate and progress humanity, but to create humans who will conform and fit in place with the current hegemony. I'm interested in hearing your takes on the education system, and if Chomsky is on to anything here.

Teachers teach what they know - which is based on how they were taught - to take the material given, memorize it, and regurgitate it.  To them, the book/teacher/answer key is truth.

The school system does not value questioning ideas, using multiple perspectives, and developing how to think for oneself, creativity, self awareness, emotions, etc.

So many jobs are board game jobs - based on how well you can comply with the standards of "this is how it is done" now "get it done" - play the board game where the rules and pieces are already set and created.  It can take a long time just to learn how to play the board game - it can also be lots of pressure to get certain outcomes from the game.  

The more obedience you have, the more your survival is guaranteed.  If you are questioning the reality society has created, your survival is at risk.  It can be harder to perform at school, at work, in relationships, etc.

It's factory farm education.

I will have some videos on problems in the education system soon.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

7 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

It's factory farm education.

I will have some videos on problems in the education system soon.

Man, if I were you, I would create an entire course on this. What epistemic dysfunctions our education-system causes and how to re-wire your epistemology and think for yourself if you're out of the factory-farmed education-system.

Heck, I may do this myself! Because I can.

I honestly believe that there is nothing more important for us, as a society, than to critically look at the education-system. It is, hands-down, the highest-leverage point to create permanent change in society.

Edited by Parththakkar12

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee