Preety_India

My mind goes blank

15 posts in this topic

My mind often stays blank unless I'm engaging myself in something. It's tough when I wake up in the morning..

I'm trying to bring positive changes to my life and the process is incredibly slow because my mind feels numb.

Part of this might have to do with stress/trauma response. 

So the blank state stays for quite some time, nearly an hour until I jolt myself back out of it, snapping out of it,this happens on its own.

Have you felt this way and what practical tips do you suggest to keep the mind in order and not have to  suffer this constantly.

Forgetfulness

Absent mindedness 

Blankness

Stress

Avoidance

Unawareness

Edited by Preety_India

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

I can relate to blankness of the mind. Sometimes it saddens me, because no thoughts are going on and it's as if being absent-minded but not entirely. Can't hold a conversation for long period of time without depleting my thought space haha.. Sometimes, it's a good thing because you have unhurried peace. 

For mindfulness iit helps to have something that catches your interest and get the wheels turning in the brain. A poetry book for example, or listening to an audio of your poems etc. like this.. 

While I admit all this could be due to stress or traama I am not forcing myself to think like everyone anymore. If you force, it's going to make it a pain. Idk maybe there is a medication, o.O I would find a herbal alternative like a strong healthy tea that puts you in a sherlock/laser-focused mindset..

Not coffee. 

6 hours ago, sara373 said:

For mindfulness iit helps to have something that catches your interest and get the wheels turning in the brain. A poetry book for example, or listening to an audio of your poems etc. like this.. 

Good point.

Something similar happened to me and I realized it was due to high anxiety.

Maybe your case is related to that as well.

To manage my stress levels I do deep breathing(5-5) to activate the parasympathetic system. Works wonderfully.

What do you mean by going "blank"? My view on mind going blank is a positive thing. Usually my mind is always in constant chatter with ideas, thoughts etc. so mind going blank seems like a good thing. Being "numb", is that a sort of heavy feeling for you? Please describe how it affects you negatively and how it feels further

@QandC going blank means I kinda feel very empty when I wake up. Absolutely nothing in my head. It makes me feel demotivated, idle and getting anything done gets too hard. It's like I'm in a different space, an empty room and nothing to do. Leaves me frustrated. I tend to slack on my goals because of it.

I might feel physically active but mentally dull and empty.

So I can't think of what I need to do, as a result I fail to make concrete plans.

On 8/1/2021 at 1:40 PM, Preety_India said:

Forgetfulness

Absent mindedness 

Blankness

Stress

Avoidance

Unawareness

Im no doctor but these sound like depression symptoms...

Feeling blank can be good. It is an accomplishment to reach a state of no mind. 

There are many people stricken with pain and diseases or blindness or leg amputation or stuff and they are constantly thinking about their problems. If you are in a state of blank, it means you have little things to worry about just like some kids when they are growing up.

Edited by hyruga

in the spirit of spitballing...

consider being more creative about what you are grateful for and making a practice to develop appreciation as part of your waking routine

for example Gary van Warmerdam, of Pathway to Happiness, has an exercise of filling a page with as many things as you can think of which you are grateful for - beyond the usual food, water, family etc. sort... i invite you to try this for a few days!

that said...

a blank mind allows for such richness of experience deeper than what thought alone offers; delve into feeling, sensation and beyond! :x

What are you levels of exercise and fitness? And do you think you have a good diet?

All stories and explanations are false.

7 minutes ago, LastThursday said:

What are you levels of exercise and fitness? And do you think you have a good diet?

My fitness level is pretty bad. My diet sucks. I'm too lazy. Although I exercise regularly but just lightly. Like running on a treadmill. 

There's likely a strong influence from diet and fitness on your mental state. The good news is at least you're doing some exercise. I don't know how difficult it would be for you to improve your diet? Also, what are you sleep patterns like, do you get enough sleep?

All these different things feed into each other and affect each other:

• Stress
  • Sleep
  • Diet
  • Exercise/fitness
  • Mental clarity

They are the actors in the movie of Preety. If you change one thing the others will also change in harmony. Some things you will have control over, some not, so you can only change the things you have control of. 

There's a lot of easy things you can do in all these areas, that will improve things fairly quickly. I'm no expert, but there are experts on this forum that can help in these areas. I know a fair amount about good sleep hygiene if you're interested (it's my favourite activity).

You may be going into a dissociative state. Start doing shamanic breathwork, you need to be working on your trauma.