Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BorisAb

Help with Letting Go (Hawkins)

4 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I have a question regarding the letting go technique by Hawkins. In theory I get it, especially when emotionally triggered. However, Hawkins advocates letting go in the absence of triggers/life stressors. 

I dont quite understand how one does this, especially when letting go to the resistance to feeling a positive emotion! (Which is advocated). 

Suppose you feel insecure in yourself in romantic settings....what would you do? Would you say to yourself 'I feel unlovable', allow the triggered feeling to come up and eventually burn out. Then, would you say, 'I am lovable', feel the tension/resistance (probably here in the muscles in the neck rather than a knot in the stomach) and just sit with it? (Perhaps that is just me that i feel resistance in my back/neck vs negative / fear which is always beneath the Solar Plexus. 

Hope this is clear :) Would love to hear people's responses/experiences 

Equanimity is the realization that aversions and desires are opposite ends of the same stick. You can't have one without the other. Hawkins is telling you to let go of the stick.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

@Moksha So that would just go back to his general teaching to remove positionalities ? I understand that in theory but in this case, would this mean that you don't actually 'choose' to let go of the fear/resistance, but rather merely deal with it as it comes up? I was just a bit confused because when talking about grief he said to preemptively  assume relationships will end etc. 

@BorisAb When you realize your ultimate nature as Consciousness, you don't choose to let go of fear/resistance. The direct realization itself puts fear/resistance into perspective. What is there to be afraid of? Enjoy relative reality for what it is, but also realize that everything in the dream is inevitably transient. Don't cling to it as if your ultimate nature depends on it, because it doesn't.

Nothing real can be threatened. Nothing unreal exists. Herein lies the peace of God.

- A Course in Miracles

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.