Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aurum

Visiting The Venus Project. Drop Any Questions

28 posts in this topic

On 8/1/2021 at 3:13 AM, Wilhelm44 said:

@aurum  I wonder why they don't connect with someone like Elon Musk to get some proper funding, it feels like this project has been taking forever to get off the ground ?

It is taking a long time and I don't suspect they are close. Especially since Jacque died, who was basically the visionary.

I imagine it's not as simple as calling Elon Musk up on the phone and asking for a couple million dollars. Their plan is to build something so they can attract future investors with something tangible. But of course even that takes funding and people who believe in it.

4 minutes ago, Loving Radiance said:

What they do seems to me like playing small which is also very likely due to the lacking resources.

They're definitely starting small and looking to baby step things. They really don't have any other option.

5 minutes ago, Loving Radiance said:

Oh well. Thanks for answering.

My pleasure

My conclusion: I visited the Venus Project to learn. Learning includes both discovering things that work and things that don't work. And I believe I found some of both at the Venus Project.

I do not believe their ideas for building a resource-based economy and getting rid of all government are possible any time soon. But when I toured their facilities, 99% of what I saw was not related to that. Mostly what I saw were engineering models for transportation, housing and urban design. Ways for buildings to be safer. Ways for cities to converse more energy. Ways to make transportation more efficient.

Jacque Fresco was not an economist or a business man. He was a scientist and engineer at his core. That is what he did best. And that is what the Venus Project should be focused on.

Forget the resourced-based economy. It's not going to happen, and we don't need it to happen. We can largely remove the deleterious effects of the current money-economy without actually getting rid of money. And if we do eventually want to get rid of money, great. But we are not there yet.

Proponents of TVP may say that I am ignoring root causes by saying they should leave out the resource-based economy. And perhaps I am. But you cannot always address root causes. Addressing root causes is an ideal. Sometimes you have to address symptoms and work within the parameters of what you got.

Focus instead on the engineering. I'm not an engineer who can validate Jacque's ideas, but I suspect many of them are very good in that department. And much more feasible than restructuring the entire global economy / political system.

51 minutes ago, aurum said:

It is taking a long time and I don't suspect they are close. Especially since Jacque died, who was basically the visionary.

I imagine it's not as simple as calling Elon Musk up on the phone and asking for a couple million dollars. Their plan is to build something so they can attract future investors with something tangible. But of course even that takes funding and people who believe in it.

Yeah I hear you, I just have this feeling that if Elon saw their vision he'd be more than willing to invest, I might be wrong, still if I was them that would be the first person I'd approach. 

On 02/08/2021 at 5:40 PM, aurum said:

No they are not. Realistically they are under-staffed and under-funded. They are far away from having a full city built and running for people to move into. Besides Roxanne and a few key members, no one lives there.

@aurum Thank you for the reply.

On 02/08/2021 at 6:02 PM, aurum said:

Yes there's quite a lot of problems with it, some of which I feel I have a much better understanding of now that I visited.

The biggest gap for them seems to be resources. They simply cannot afford to do what they are planning on doing and not been able to raise the necessary funds to do so.

Of course even if they were successful in fundraising, the question remains whether it would actually solve the problems they claim it would solve. I am skeptical, especially in their belief that they can get rid of money / government anytime soon.

However, the majority of Jacque Fresco's work is engineering designs related to transportation, housing and urban design. He really was an engineer at heart. And some of those designs seem much more tangible, practical and possibly implementable.

@aurum I love good engineering. Is there any specific design (or part of a design) you are referring to? 

I gotta research his designs. Sounds interesting.

Edited by captainamerica

3 hours ago, captainamerica said:

@aurum I love good engineering. Is there any specific design (or part of a design) you are referring to? 

I gotta research his designs. Sounds interesting.

Nothing in particular. I’m not big into engineering. I would look into Jacque’s book The Best Money Can’t Buy. They also have a Youtube channel for the Venus Project where I’m sure you can find more specifics.

On 8/2/2021 at 5:12 AM, aurum said:

In general though, they don't care much for democracy or believe our current political system can solve any real problems. So I doubt they voted.

That's why all these utopian projects fail.

It does not scale. And if it ever did, it will be no better than mainstream society. Actually it will be worse because there will not be democracy there.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.