Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aurum

Visiting The Venus Project. Drop Any Questions

28 posts in this topic

I will be visiting The Venus Project today. If you don’t know about it, The Venus Project is a SD Green / Yellow techutopia based off the work of Jacque Fresco. It promises to form what is called a “Resource-Based Economy”.

Feel free to drop any questions you might have and I will ask them.

I am not affiliated with The Venus Project in any way, just looking to learn more about solutions to our collective problems.

Edited by aurum

Are there any plans to replicate The Venus Project in other parts of the world ?

Ask them how many of them voted against Trump and got vaccinated ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I liked a lot of what Jacque Fredrick says about the human condition, but a lot of his solutions seem overly idealistic.

I guess my question is, do they really think it will work?

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

27 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

giphy.gif

How do they want to integrate the Venus project in already existing cities? What would be needed?

In general, at which time (e.g. 2070) do they predict will countries begin to use the Venus project (when looking at the current life conditions and values of existing nations)? When will the first countries implement the idea? When can the Venus project be implemented world wide because of global unification of countries.

Edited by Loving Radiance

Life Purpose journey

Presence. Goodness. Grace. Love.

12 hours ago, Wilhelm44 said:

Are there any plans to replicate The Venus Project in other parts of the world ?

Yes. They plan to us The Venus Project essentially as a prototype, working out the bugs before expanding to newer areas. They did not say where, as such a project would likely be far away. They have their hands filled just getting the Venus Project off the ground.

https://www.bigworldsmallsasha.com/2019/09/13/why-i-left-the-venus-project/#:~:text=As I got older and,I could do about it.

Nice article about systemic problems of projects like these along with personal experiences for the same.

There are systemic issues that are ignored leading to the failure in such projects. The founder has fantastical ideas about skipping stages in both external survival issues and internal psychological development with "education". The "education" one especially always fails in the real world. People don't work that way in the real world.

Auroville was founded 50 years ago. To this date, it is failing in most of the key areas due to the same systemic problems outlined in the article. Quality of life is still not good after 50 years, unable to attract more people or make it sustainable. A recurring theme enabling to observe some key principles. 

Edited by captainamerica

15 hours ago, aurum said:

SD Green / Yellow

It is not Yellow.

It gets many fundamentals wrong. Including fantasies of re-education of people. People don't work that way. Yellow understands this. Just using technology or basic planning does not make it Yellow. Plenty of Orange/Green does it in innovative ways.  

I would put it as Orange/Green. With more Orange integration needed. For eg. the issue of outside resource dependency still requires people there to face the same survival issues as the outside. Whether it is labeled such or not is irrelevant. 

Edited by captainamerica

4 hours ago, aurum said:

Yes. They plan to us The Venus Project essentially as a prototype, working out the bugs before expanding to newer areas. They did not say where, as such a project would likely be far away. They have their hands filled just getting the Venus Project off the ground.

Cool, thanks

@aurum  I wonder why they don't connect with someone like Elon Musk to get some proper funding, it feels like this project has been taking forever to get off the ground ?

On 7/31/2021 at 10:40 AM, captainamerica said:

@aurum are you planning to shift there in the near future?

No they are not. Realistically they are under-staffed and under-funded. They are far away from having a full city built and running for people to move into. Besides Roxanne and a few key members, no one lives there.

On 7/31/2021 at 10:59 AM, Leo Gura said:

Roxanne (the co-founder) was very critical of Trump. Apparently she knew people who got swindled in some of his earlier "business" deals.

In general though, they don't care much for democracy or believe our current political system can solve any real problems. So I doubt they voted.

On 8/1/2021 at 0:23 AM, Danioover9000 said:

When will they colonize Venus?

As soon as Elon colonizes Mars ;)

On 7/31/2021 at 11:16 AM, Thought Art said:

I liked a lot of what Jacque Fredrick says about the human condition, but a lot of his solutions seem overly idealistic.

I guess my question is, do they really think it will work?

They do. Personally, I have my doubts about many of their solutions.

On 7/31/2021 at 3:20 PM, Loving Radiance said:

How do they want to integrate the Venus project in already existing cities? What would be needed?

In general, at which time (e.g. 2070) do they predict will countries begin to use the Venus project (when looking at the current life conditions and values of existing nations)? When will the first countries implement the idea? When can the Venus project be implemented world wide because of global unification of countries.

They do not have a solid projected timeline. When asked, Roxanne did not even provide a ballpark figure.

As far as integrating into current cities, I only got a few details. They mostly are interested in building from scratch. It also seems that some older cities would have to be demolished entirely.

On 8/1/2021 at 0:56 AM, captainamerica said:

https://www.bigworldsmallsasha.com/2019/09/13/why-i-left-the-venus-project/#:~:text=As I got older and,I could do about it.

Nice article about systemic problems of projects like these along with personal experiences for the same.

There are systemic issues that are ignored leading to the failure in such projects. The founder has fantastical ideas about skipping stages in both external survival issues and internal psychological development with "education". The "education" one especially always fails in the real world. People don't work that way in the real world.

Auroville was founded 50 years ago. To this date, it is failing in most of the key areas due to the same systemic problems outlined in the article. Quality of life is still not good after 50 years, unable to attract more people or make it sustainable. A recurring theme enabling to observe some key principles. 

Yes there's quite a lot of problems with it, some of which I feel I have a much better understanding of now that I visited.

The biggest gap for them seems to be resources. They simply cannot afford to do what they are planning on doing and not been able to raise the necessary funds to do so.

Of course even if they were successful in fundraising, the question remains whether it would actually solve the problems they claim it would solve. I am skeptical, especially in their belief that they can get rid of money / government anytime soon.

However, the majority of Jacque Fresco's work is engineering designs related to transportation, housing and urban design. He really was an engineer at heart. And some of those designs seem much more tangible, practical and possibly implementable.

5 minutes ago, aurum said:

They do not have a solid projected timeline. When asked, Roxanne did not even provide a ballpark figure.

As far as integrating into current cities, I only got a few details. They mostly are interested in building from scratch. It also seems that some older cities would have to be demolished entirely.

Haha, ok. Well, Resource-based economy is a great concept. What they do seems to me like playing small which is also very likely due to the lacking resources.

Oh well. Thanks for answering.

Life Purpose journey

Presence. Goodness. Grace. Love.