Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PBen534

Managing getting out of comfort zone

5 posts in this topic

I pushed myself to get out of my comfort zone and assumed group leadership of some technical discussion group in which I'm not too confident about how to manage or about the topics. There are 2 weeks until the start. The reasons for getting involved were to get more networking, practicing technical conversational English (since I'm a non-native spk), and learn more about the topics through it. The thing is that I have many doubts before making a decision because I have afraid of fuck things up. Also, this position is pushing me to make more interactions since on this pandemic I was alone and isolated, and I think I forgot how to interact with people (guessing is more overthinking than a real thing). I have other things to do but since this happens I'm thinking to just focus on this since I have the opportunity to grow in this field. 

So I'm asking:

How do you make decisions when you are involved in uncomfortable situations that can grow you? Is this "fake it until you make it" always a good path? Would I just focus on that task and leave other things apart?

1 hour ago, PBen534 said:

How do you make decisions when you are involved in uncomfortable situations that can grow you?

Go with what you intuitively think is best. You have most likely been in group settings and observed them before. I would guess that you have some knowledge around this technical discussion as well. Even if you were not knowledgeable on a topic you could bullshit your way through it. A good speaker can make it not sound like they are bullshitting though. You can also observe similar things before hand that could help get you a bit more comfortable. Watch some videos on the topics that you are expecting. I would see if you can drop into a toastmasters meeting once or twice before you lead that group to warmed up too. 

2 hours ago, PBen534 said:

Is this "fake it until you make it" always a good path?

Honesty can always work too. Anyone can sympathize with someone who is not comfortable in setting or situation. Poorly played out faking can backfire much harder than just being honest. 

On 29/7/2021 at 1:27 AM, Average Investor said:

A good speaker can make it not sound like they are bullshitting though.

I'll work on this. Is a good skill to have, I mean I'll not fake it all the time but having good speaking could help in many situations. Giving the right amount of honesty without being a victim is a good way to start too. Thanks🙏

Posted (edited)

Don’t be afraid to ask the people you’re leading what they think is best. Have them come up with idea’s, come up with your own, and choose the best between all of them. Or merge the ideas together to fill holes into the best one. Just make it clear that it’s your decision.  
A leader’s job is NOT to know everything, it is to do what is best for the group. Followers respect a leader who respect’s their opinions. People have egos, make them feel heard and valued.

The book Leadership Strategy and Tactics by Jocko Willink  will give you some good practical tips on how to be a leader that you can implement quickly if you want to improve your leadership skills.

Edited by Logan

@Logan Thanks! I've watched this based on your comment

Pretty useful information!