Insightful27

Help Letting go of Self-Actualization Tools

7 posts in this topic

Recently I've been working on becoming less materialistic. The easy part was detaching myself form things that I only had to gain approval from other people, or things that only produced hedonic pleasures. But I've found it extremely difficult to detach myself from things that I use to Self-Actualize (i.e.. Self-Improvement Books, Nootropics, Psychedelics, Notes & notetaking software, etc.). How do I detach myself for these things when they help me work toward my goals and guide me on my Self-Actualization journey? How do I become okay with losing all of my notes and all of my tools?

@Insightful27

What do you mean exactly by detach? Throw all your self dev books in a fire?

It’s not clear what your agenda is on all of this.

By detach I mean to be happy without. Right now I can't be happy or feel fulfilled unless I have these tools and I am able to develop myself with them. I want to be unconditionally happy, and be okay without these things.

11 minutes ago, Insightful27 said:

By detach I mean to be happy without. Right now I can't be happy or feel fulfilled unless I have these tools and I am able to develop myself with them. I want to be unconditionally happy, and be okay without these things.

Sounds like you have an idea of what unconditionally happy would be and are following that idea to be happy.  I see no issue with this, nor with being happy doing what your doing now....

@Mu_ I just don’t know how I can be happy when I’m unable to do self actualization work effectively. Do you have any advice on how I could stay happy even if I were to lose all my notes and self help resources?

Edited by Insightful27

6 hours ago, Insightful27 said:

@Mu_ I just don’t know how I can be happy when I’m unable to do self actualization work effectively. Do you have any advice on how I could stay happy even if I were to lose all my notes and self help resources?

Right, so why not continue to do what makes you happy. Why the need to supposedly go more spiritual and remove these so you can be happy like already are now while practicing. 

You see what I’m saying?  Even the Buddha still mediated and reflected. 

@Mu_ yes that makes sense, I don’t want to stop doing these practices. I just want to be able to let go of the fear that I will lose them. The thought of losing all my notes makes me feel fearful and anxious. I don’t like being dependent on these external things for my happiness. Deeply, what I’m wondering is how do I let go of my need to self-actualize? Or at least let go of the need to self actualize effectively?

Edited by Insightful27