Brandon L

Is a 30 hour work week good enough for a single individual to survive?

7 posts in this topic

Just wondering. I am a single individual and I live alone. Would 30 hours be good enough for me to survive on my own? or would I need more like 40 hours?

I am also a minimalist and I don't spend alot of money on things I don't need.

It's all depending on your definition of survival.

Defining survival by weekly hours of work makes little sense. It is depending on what kind of work, how much that pays, how much of an investment (time) that work requires and how frugal you are. 

Your question feeds into my curiosity about where this question is really coming from?

Edited by Eph75

Want to connect? Just do it, I assure you I'm just a human being just like you, drop me a PM today. 

Working more than 40 hours/week is counterproductive and injurious to mental health

That's very location dependent. Housing costs vary wildly right now as do rental costs even from city to city based on supply and demand.  I pay $750/month in rent while making around $30/hour and can easily get by in my situation, but I live in South Dakota.  You can find employers now that will pay more than $20/hour starting around here, but you'll likely have to work full time.

Looking at Rentals in Tucson AZ, I'd say it may be doable, especially if you get a roommate. There are rentals that are alright in the $700 range there.

Edited by sholomar

You can definitely make 30 hours/week work if that's what you desire

One way is to up the money potential and another way is to reduce the spending 

To survive pay check to pay check even in manhattan is doable with $20/hr with 40 hours a week. It doesn't suit my needs personally but it's doable. Personally I need more $$ for investments, security and fun 

But if that's all you desire it's definitely doable 

I'd just do the math TBH

just a suggestion - maybe considering making more versus saving more? It can give you  more freedom. 

Edited by Jacob Morres

Sure why not?

Germany (34.3 hours), Denmark (32.7 hours) and the Netherlands (29.5 hours): Average working weeks for employees in the EU. 

It all depends on how much you earn and spend though.

Make a spreasheet with your monthly expenses:

Example

1. Rent ($1000)
  2. Food ($500)
  3. Transportation ($100)
  4. Education
  5. Entertainment
  6. Savings
  7. etc

Then, mutiply your 30 hours a week by the pay per hour, then multiply that by 4 to get monthly income. Use your NET INCOME, not your GROSS expecting income as your actual money that you have to use. If you base it on gross income before deductions you are operating on false expectations.

Based on your expense needs, and your income you will know if it will work or not.

Compare your monthly income, to your expected and planned expenses.

Record your expenditure throughout the month to ensure your budget was planned properly. Make whatever adjustments are necessary until you get something that works for you. 

ALSO, record you actual earnings each month. This wont be easy as I am sure you will forget to follow through. But keep persisting. Basic financial systems can make or break a life purpose. 

If your expenses are more than your income, you have to readjust. 

Finances are not a guessing game. Use math, study basic personal finance. 

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"