Vision

I have a newfound interest in Martial Arts. Where to start?

19 posts in this topic

From what I've seen so far, Taekwondo looks the most appealing to me at the moment. I like their style; fast paced and based on kicking. Capoeira also looks interesting.

But I'm also interested in what will also advance me spiritually. That is a higher priority for me.

I've looked at Tai Chi, Qigong, and Muay Thai, which seem to be related to spirituality.

I don't know where to start or what I'll be most interested in. Like I said before, I think I'll enjoy fast paced martial arts like Taekwondo, but I don't know if it will bring me any clear cut benefits relative to spirituality.

Peter Ralston is an example of a master martial artist who is also spiritually adept. 

I am interested in knowing if there are other martial arts that are helpful when it comes to spirituality. So I'm open to any suggestions. 

Edit: Just want to mention that I want it to be relatively safe, a low chance of injury. I’m already dealing with health problems at the moment.

I also want it to be practical when it comes to self defence, in case I’m in a situation where it is needed. 

Edited by Vision

It is hard to find something that is a nice combination of spirituality, mastery, fitness and some effective self-defence without carrying too much of an ego-punch. I think we have completely bastardised muay-thai. The tradition is lost and it has been turned into a semi-MMA now. You can still find those hardcore muay Thai gyms in Thailand where they kick down banana trees and practice on tires but most of those are now tourist attractions for Instagram videos 

Aikido is beautiful but I doubt the effectiveness of the real-time self-defence element. If you don't care about it being practical, aikido would work really well for you. 

Judo has a great element of practicality, fitness and mastery however in the west the element of spirituality is lost but not in the East where regular sessions of pre-training meditations are still being held. I think the same goes for Taekwondo. It is becoming more and more like kickboxing rather than an art. 

Qigong, I dunno if I'd consider a martial art it is more of meditative practice but can be practiced along any of the martial arts

Wing tsun kung fu is a nice combination of all as well. 

Capoeira is interesting but there is just too much ego and posership involved these days. It is probably the most demanding o all for brain-body coordination and agility. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

This video has everything u need as it rates all martial art on self defence

Maybe you should consider combining martial arts and meditation?

@Michael569

Thanks for your response. I’ll look into Judo and Wing tsun kung fu.

Do you do any form of martial arts personally? 

@asifarahim I’ll have a watch. Thanks. 

15 hours ago, kellyjo said:

Maybe you should consider combining martial arts and meditation?

@kellyjo

That is part of my initial question. How do I combine the two? 

6 hours ago, Vision said:

Thanks for your response. I’ll look into Judo and Wing tsun kung fu.

Do you do any form of martial arts personally? 

Judo for nearly 14 years and kickboxing for 3 but not anymore. I'm glad I did it though, I've learned a lot and my life has been shaped by those practices significantly. I think Judo would be a good choice.

You'll toughen up, get in the best shape of your life, become more agile and coordinated and learn a lot of really cool moves. 

On the top of that there is a great sense of companionship within the club and a healthy sense of competition. It just takes a while in the beginning to get into the "fun" bits  as you'll be learning how to fall, how to move, grapple etc but that's part of the mastery process. 

Just be prepared for a lot of close physical contact with other men :D 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Vision  I'd suggest going to as many schools as you can and take a few classes.  From that you can feel what you like the most or click with.

I've done martial arts on and off most my life and a lot of the art comes down to the practitioner in terms of how good they are.  That said there are in my opinion more practical styles for effectiveness in fighting vrs others.  If your just looking to feel good in the body, go with my first suggestion, otherwise look for an MMA school, they will have classes in which teach grappling, striking, takedowns, submissions.  Even then I'd still try a few MMA schools in your area to see what you like and connect with.

Kung Fu is very good, it is a holistic art. 

I have done tai chi many years. If you start to get into it and undestand it's mechanics it will open many doors

Also spontaneous QI gong 

16 hours ago, Michael569 said:

Judo for nearly 14 years and kickboxing for 3 but not anymore. I'm glad I did it though, I've learned a lot and my life has been shaped by those practices significantly. I think Judo would be a good choice.

You'll toughen up, get in the best shape of your life, become more agile and coordinated and learn a lot of really cool moves. 

On the top of that there is a great sense of companionship within the club and a healthy sense of competition. It just takes a while in the beginning to get into the "fun" bits  as you'll be learning how to fall, how to move, grapple etc but that's part of the mastery process. 

Just be prepared for a lot of close physical contact with other men :D 

@Michael569 Wow! That’s a lot of experience! 

I do also care about practicality, in case I ever need to defend myself. Taekwondo doesn’t seem as effective in that aspect, or maybe I’m wrong.

Judo looks very interesting to me though. 

I don’t want to get injured. Also, I want to have some fun with friends without hurting them. 
Is Judo safer in sparring compared to something like Taekwondo where you are kicking and punching rather than grappling? 

7 hours ago, Mu_ said:

@Vision  I'd suggest going to as many schools as you can and take a few classes.  From that you can feel what you like the most or click with.

I've done martial arts on and off most my life and a lot of the art comes down to the practitioner in terms of how good they are.  That said there are in my opinion more practical styles for effectiveness in fighting vrs others.  If your just looking to feel good in the body, go with my first suggestion, otherwise look for an MMA school, they will have classes in which teach grappling, striking, takedowns, submissions.  Even then I'd still try a few MMA schools in your area to see what you like and connect with.

@Mu_
I don’t know much about MMA. Doesn’t it tend to be violent? I just have that interpretation off of those competitive MMA fighting videos.

im gona do MMA and focus on muay thai, those guys are hardcore...you should look into it

4 hours ago, Vision said:

@Mu_
I don’t know much about MMA. Doesn’t it tend to be violent? I just have that interpretation off of those competitive MMA fighting videos.

In my experience with a good school you can take it as far as you want to. If you don’t want aggression or anything close to it there are poeople who will train at that level. If you want to put some power and speed behind stuff, there are people for that. 

But if your new. Your first few years will most likely be building strength endurance and technique. No need or ability to prove yourself at that point. 

I think Judo is a nice start for beginners doing some competition without getting to uncomfortable. After that MMA.

Do not forget to have some fun too.

Best martial art for self defence

Best/foundational

Mma,muythai,boxing

Next

Judo,wrestling

Next 

Krav maga

Best weapon ma= kali/escmira

Best striking

Boxing,muythai

Best overall

Mma

In a street fight punching is the 1st thing so start boxing.boxing gym are very large in no.in muythai u have to divide attention to many thing while in boxing ur attention are only in punching.if u have a good muythai gym go there.

also a better option is if u have a good mma gym then go there.it will make u a better all rounder fight.maywether will beat macgregor in boxing but if they are put in a street with no rules macgregor will easily win

My thoughts: I think if you want to advance spirituality, it would be a good perspective to just look at what excites you most. Because spirituality is about YOU, and so whatever attracts you most, is most in alignment with the vibration you are, which will therefor serve you best.

Edited by Waken

Based on my experiences:

BJJ has been my best experience in martial arts by far. Highly recommend. Great atmosphere if you do your research and check out all the gyms in your area, and pick one you're comfortable in. Great for self-defense, fitness, dealing with adversity, building discipline, self-reflection, and keeping your ego in check.

Boxing is pretty repetitive and dull imo.

Wrestling was too macho and ego fueled for me. I just wanted to learn a skill, not show off to my bro buddies haha