Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chris_Esoteric

Technology Addiction

10 posts in this topic

I need assistance with this! One of the first things I do by the morning is open my computer or turn on my phone. I've noticed that I spend way to much time on the internet without doing anything productive all day. It's difficult to cut my tech addiction! I feel like the internet is not for me, at all. At the same time, I'm desperate for answers on how to heal and repair myself so I can go about the rest of my life, peacefully. There's a sense of eagerness to me! There are a lot of great people I can listen to, out there. 

@Chris_Esoteric you can do two things: bask in your addiction in all its glory without any guilt, just watch yourself do it and take in all the emotions, good and bad. AND you can create something. Create first and then consume. 

"You Create Magic" 

Can you try using this dependency? Start a blog? Find some interesting hobby

You can use a site or app block app like 'Appblock' or 'blocker' to reduce surfing.

This thread brings to mind a quote by the spiritual teacher Amoda Maa Jeevan that I saw recently: 'Have you noticed how the times you're tempted to reach out for something you think you need are the times you're not wanting to stop and face your discomfort?' - I've certainly found this to be true in my own experience, the addictive compulsion is a sort of emotional coping strategy. 

'When you look outside yourself for something to make you feel complete, you never get to know the fullness of your essential nature.' - Amoda Maa Jeevan

@universe Well, I spend more time than the average person does on the internet! It's a coping mechanism, basically. I don't want to face whatever problems I may be going through or emotional inner turmoil.

@RickyFitts This is, precisely, why I spend way too much time online. I don't want to face the feeling of boredom and discomfort, like you said. I have to get comfortable with those feelings.

You want Emotional Mastery.

I'd encourage you to do these exercises.

14 hours ago, Chris_Esoteric said:

I don't want to face the feeling of boredom and discomfort, like you said. I have to get comfortable with those feelings.

Yeah, those feelings need to be felt into - the not wanting to face them is completely normal, so don't judge yourself for that, but it does tend to keep us stuck when we turn away from them. Simple breath meditation worked best for me in that regard, just dropping attention into my body, allowing it to breathe and relax, and just allowing what wants to arise to do so.

'When you look outside yourself for something to make you feel complete, you never get to know the fullness of your essential nature.' - Amoda Maa Jeevan