EugeneTheSage

Going to ashram to escape (or delay) wage slavery

58 posts in this topic

On 27.7.2021 at 11:27 AM, Michael569 said:

@EugeneTheSageMake sure you're not trying to leech on existing system by pulling money doing nothing. The world doesn't work like that (no offence ) 

Actually, it does. Most of the money is earned by leeching. Capitalism is leeching turned into a system 

A company is leeching off a workers labour

Edited by Jakuchu

On 02/09/2021 at 7:52 PM, Jakuchu said:

Actually, it does. Most of the money is earned by leeching. Capitalism is leeching turned into a system 

A company is leeching off a workers labour

Not sure I completely agree, but I love you for not saying "off of" :D

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

Hi,

I actualiy live in a Yoga Ashram in Germany and I like it a lot! It is called Yoga Vidya Bad Meinberg and it is the biggest Ashram outside of India. 

Here you work 7 hours a day 6 times per week in the first year. That may sound like a lot but it is managable. You safe a lot of time because you dont need to prepare food or buy grocerys because healthy food is prepared everyday by the people who work in the kitchen team. You get 360€ per month, free internet and they also pay for your health insurance (and other cool stuff that I am too lazy to write down). 

5 hours ago, Mihael Keehl said:

Here you work 7 hours a day 6 times per week in the first year. That may sound like a lot but it is managable. You safe a lot of time because you dont need to prepare food or buy grocerys because healthy food is prepared everyday by the people who work in the kitchen team. You get 360€ per month, free internet and they also pay for your health insurance (and other cool stuff that I am too lazy to write down). 

That's interesting!

In a different phase of my life, I would have loved to go there.

Where does the money come from? Do they produce goods?

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

@flowboy Peaple come here (or do it online) to become Yoga teachers or do other workshops or seminars. There is a huge variety of trainings and seminars that you can participate in here. That is the main source of income.

3 hours ago, Mihael Keehl said:

@flowboy Peaple come here (or do it online) to become Yoga teachers or do other workshops or seminars. There is a huge variety of trainings and seminars that you can participate in here. That is the main source of income.

That is fantastic.

On 9/7/2021 at 9:50 AM, Mihael Keehl said:

Here you work 7 hours a day 6 times per week in the first year.

That is a full time job. But, hey, if you enjoy it, have at it.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

6 hours ago, diamondpenguin said:

@Mihael Keehl why not work at mcdonalds, youll earn more!

But you won't get the hippie fumes.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

On 26.7.2021 at 9:44 AM, Flowerfaeiry said:

How does this end up working out? If you're really serious you could do it but I feel like being free handed money could make one uninterested to do much. 

I have lived a couple of years on welfare. (I live in Finland.) About 1000 in USD per month. That has been well enough for a quality home, food, hygiene, clothes, and even some extra stuff like books. I have minor mental health problems.

It's true that in short term, it makes you uninterested. Even if my mental health was good, I would still probably keep living on welfare for a little bit. This is because having a job at McDonalds or stuff like that is simply so exhausting and meaningless. It would make me feel like shit, so I'm not going to do it.

One might call that bad and selfish. But with this time I've had for myself, I have been growing as a person more than anyone else around me. It's not bad to be lazy and a bit selfish for a couple of years. This period in my life has completely changed me. I have discovered life and it's hidden depths. I've had time to really think through what I want from life and who I want to be. This would not have been possible without a quality welfare system.

And what I've become, and what I will do in years to come, will pay this money back. I have no doubt about that.

I've come to understand that at least in Finland, it is quite rare for someone to leech off the system for long periods of time simply because of the free money. This is because doing nothing is not good for general well-being. People actually want to do stuff and meet other people etc.

Edited by roopepa

Everyone is waiting for eternity but the Shaman asks: "how about today?"

6 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

But you won't get the hippie fumes.

@Leo Gura your right my man, we gots to have the hippie fumes, it's a way of life. Greenies need the fumes to live. We'll create a vegan McDonald's and drag it against its will while it digs in its heels to the ashram. ?

Edited by diamondpenguin

Love life and your Health, INFJ Visionary

Maybe an ashram is a wise choice. 

But also, consider this.  You say your wanting to live for free and have a few hours a day to do your own stuff.  My question is; why not get a job so you can make money while also having a few hours a day to do your own stuff?  

Sure, I can see how maybe living in an ashram might be a better environment, perhaps less working hours, not spending money on food, housing, etc.. 

Another option, one that I've recently been attracted to, is working for a 3,4, 5 months (however much you need), saving up money, and then taking another large chunk of time off to be completely free to do as you wish.  

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

13 hours ago, Matt23 said:

Another option, one that I've recently been attracted to, is working for a 3,4, 5 months (however much you need), saving up money, and then taking another large chunk of time off to be completely free to do as you wish.  

@Matt23 What jobs offer that kind of flexibility? 

12 hours ago, Vision said:

@Matt23 What jobs offer that kind of flexibility? 

Things like seasonal jobs.  I'm sure you can investigate that yourself.  I know tree planting is one, adventure guiding...  I think the tourism industry in general is a decent place to look.  Like working at a ski mountain/lodge. etc.. 

Also, you can just do the ol' take on a job for several months and then quit.  I mean, one issue may be that doing this long-term may not be sustainable as future employers may not hire you since you've only worked at places for a handful of months.  But I dunno, I don't have a resume that's got a lot of jobs beyond a handful of months and I seem to do fine.  So I don't know how to judge this part accurately.  

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

@Matt23

On 9.09.2021 at 11:26 PM, Matt23 said:

Maybe an ashram is a wise choice. 

But also, consider this.  You say your wanting to live for free and have a few hours a day to do your own stuff.  My question is; why not get a job so you can make money while also having a few hours a day to do your own stuff?  

Sure, I can see how maybe living in an ashram might be a better environment, perhaps less working hours, not spending money on food, housing, etc.. 

The only job I can't get is a construction worker. I don't want to do some meaningless office stuff, and no MacDonalds or Starbucks stuff. Maybe a waiter. But the problem is that when you work 10hrs per day you have barely the energy to do your stuff (though I did), and I didn't have good mental health, was constantly at risk of firing, and was in situations when I constantly lack money and can't save them. It is no America guys, I am living in Poland now, so take into account my salary.

20 hours ago, Matt23 said:

Things like seasonal jobs.  I'm sure you can investigate that yourself.  I know tree planting is one, adventure guiding...  I think the tourism industry in general is a decent place to look.  Like working at a ski mountain/lodge. etc.. 

Also, you can just do the ol' take on a job for several months and then quit.  I mean, one issue may be that doing this long-term may not be sustainable as future employers may not hire you since you've only worked at places for a handful of months.  But I dunno, I don't have a resume that's got a lot of jobs beyond a handful of months and I seem to do fine.  So I don't know how to judge this part accurately.  

Too much distraction. Period.

Besides, I don't think into such dramatic categories now of going to some ashram. I rather focus on pushing on the current cannabis startup I'm now working on. I think it would be more cost-effective to develop what I already have rather than start from a blank, again...