EugeneTheSage

Going to ashram to escape (or delay) wage slavery

58 posts in this topic

I want to improve my skill of 3d modeling and find myself a decent job in GameDev or the film industry. I don't know how long would I last on the current job and I have some money savings that I can spend to make a "leap of faith" to find a place and go deep into creating a portfolio.

Do you know any place (In Europe) where I can live almost for free and eat for free and have few hours a day to do my stuff (in my case to improve my 3d modeling skill)? Ideally, I searching for a hub of like-minded people who are into self-actualization and spirituality. I considered a possibility of becoming an Isha Volunteer in Isha Yoga Center, or Dhamma Vipassana volunteer, or go to some hippie resort. Also, I consider going to some low-cost areas like Goa, Mexico, Bali. But I would need to spend on a flight. I could, of course, go to my grandma's house in the village but I think I will stagnate here.

Any guesses?

Be careful. Most ashrams will work you like a rented mule. Don't assume you will have any free time to work on 3D modeling.

You assume you will leech off the ashram, but in practice the ashram will leech off you. There's no free lunch in life.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura There are social systems (for example, where I live in Germany) that make it possible not to work anymore while they are giving you money to surivive. Its not very much, but if you are minimalistic you could live with that money. You would have escaped wage slavery and had enough time to pursue enlightenment full-time. You would leech off society, thats true, but better give the money to poor people or people who dont want to work than to waste it for war or other stupid things.

13 hours ago, actualizing25 said:

@Leo Gura There are social systems (for example, where I live in Germany) that make it possible not to work anymore while they are giving you money to surivive. Its not very much, but if you are minimalistic you could live with that money. You would have escaped wage slavery and had enough time to pursue enlightenment full-time. You would leech off society, thats true, but better give the money to poor people or people who dont want to work than to waste it for war or other stupid things.

Well, I'm sure in some countries that is possible, especially if you are extremely frugal.

But I doubt you'll find that in any ashram. An ashram is not welfare. Welfare is better.

There are social systems (for example, where I live in Germany) that make it possible not to work anymore while they are giving you money to surivive. Its not very much, but if you are minimalistic you could live with that money. You would have escaped wage slavery and had enough time to pursue enlightenment full-time. You would leech off society, thats true, but better give the money to poor people or people who dont want to work than to waste it for war or other stupid things.

How does this end up working out? If you're really serious you could do it but I feel like being free handed money could make one uninterested to do much. 

"You Create Magic" 

You would leech off society, thats true, but better give the money to poor people or people who dont want to work than to waste it for war or other stupid things.

@actualizing25

Most people don't want to work (a.k.a be a wage slave). How would this even work?

The majority of society don't like their jobs. They are pushed into them as survival demands it.

@Leo Gura Do you think it's morally wrong if you live off the taxes of other people, just so you dont have to work and are free to for example pursue enlightenmenf full-time? I know some people here in Germany, who havent worked for years and decades and who are taking advantage of the welfare system. It isnt that much money, but they say that you can live from that money.

Imagine you are free everyday. I would do spiritual practices all day long, meditate for 12h, everyday. Thats a lifestyle Im considering for myself, but I somehow think that its wrong, because you live off the taxes of other people. But on the other hand, maybe the government would waste these taxes for other things.

@actualizing25 Yes, I don't know you in that regard.

A general cautionary warning is always good. It can be the case that you have an avoidant personality and that you use spirituality to avoid life instead of going into it. But if not, then go ahead :)

Life Purpose journey

Presence. Goodness. Grace. Love.

21 hours ago, actualizing25 said:

Unfortunately, the country I'm from doesn't have this infrastructure. It works well in well-developed countries. From opinions I've received now I arrive to conclusion that I'd go to my grandma's house. But I don't limit myself to this possibility. Maybe this startup with cannabis will work and I don't need to invent some drama

When I lived in Mexico, I had a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house by the beach for $400 a month.  When I was sick I would go to the pharmacy doctor which was less than $5.  Even a ayahuasca ceremony was $100.  In America they charge $1000 dollars.  America is one big ripoff and you have to work longer to pay for the inflation.  If you have a programming job, you could live in another country and work remotely, then reduce your hours.  Medellin Colombia is also becoming popular for remote workers.

Vincit omnia Veritas.

11 hours ago, actualizing25 said:

@Leo Gura Do you think it's morally wrong if you live off the taxes of other people, just so you dont have to work and are free to for example pursue enlightenmenf full-time? I know some people here in Germany, who havent worked for years and decades and who are taking advantage of the welfare system. It isnt that much money, but they say that you can live from that money.

If your country allows for it via a robust welfare system then it isn't morally wrong. You're just using the system your society agreed to.

But I would recommend you only do that temporarily in order to bootstrap yourself. You don't want to be living like that as your life strategy. It's purpose is to allow you to bootstrap yourself. Never mind how others misuse it.

Imagine you are free everyday. I would do spiritual practices all day long, meditate for 12h, everyday.

Yeah, well, I can tell you it ain't so easy, even if you are free.

I am free and meditating 12 hours per day ain't no cake walk.

Thats a lifestyle Im considering for myself, but I somehow think that its wrong, because you live off the taxes of other people. But on the other hand, maybe the government would waste these taxes for other things.

Historically, all monasteries and temples were paid for by government funds. And monks would live off the donations from laymen.

So it's nothing at all new here.

Serious spiritual seekers have always relied on the funds of others.

But I would not recommend this as a life strategy. Build yourself into a productive creative person. It's far better than begging strangers for nickles and dimes.

@EugeneTheSage

Whatever you frame up as to be escaped or delayed… go back and think twice, you might be in error. You might be projecting lemons onto the lemonade of life. How do you know with such certainty that what stands to enslave is not actually what stands to set the mind free? Nonetheless, if your vision and plan are actually less exciting, desirable, inspiring & invigorating than an ashram, maybe that is your best bet. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@EugeneTheSage 

I don't know much about Ashram but maybe there are other options to consider as well. 

I would start by figuring out what is the minimum income per month you need to sustain a decent lifestyle. Once you have that number, start looking for some easy part-time job. Somewhere you'll be able to do your stuff without too much interruption. 

I'm thinking: librarian, night guard, Aupair, online conversation tutor for foreign people, some easy IT ticketing job, deliveroo or Uber Eats bicycle courier, Uber driver, ..you know things like that that won't require a lot of work and will let you do your own thing either at work directly or give you enough time after working hours. None of those examples may be good but you get the message. 

Make sure you're not trying to leech on existing system by pulling money doing nothing. The world doesn't work like that (no offence ) 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@EugeneTheSage Is there any way you could take a job as a tour guide in Germany or become a part time English or German instructor?  Those are not usually long term careers.  They pay just enough to maybe rent a room and buy  your food while you work on your 3D development career.  I'm pretty sure you can find a guru somewhere around who does satsang where you can meet others of the same spiritual level.  You may not find everything all in one place, but if you compromise a bit, you probably can piece together the things you're looking for.

1 minute ago, Seeker531 said:

@actualizing25I see this more controversial because this is the money that you will get if you are in extreme situations  like being sick or lost your job and you only get it if you aggree to find a job as fast as possible. And the way you've made exployting unenployment insurance or sound like it's not what it is shows that there is something wrong with this attitude and that it's a way of escaping live in general. It isn't helpful because it is that you have to see at some point that to do this you need to go in a low state of consciousness in the first place and rhis state is even lower than working a ordinary job. One can create a great live if you are willing to work for it abd get things straight so that you can enjoy being present where you are. But I understand where you coming from. 

In every larger city are comunities of leftist, artistic people who are very open and deep into sharing. Maybe you can find some to share an apartment and food and reduce the live expenses to have a little more sparing time that way. 

Edited by Seeker531

15 hours ago, Nahm said:

@EugeneTheSage

Whatever you frame up as to be escaped or delayed… go back and think twice, you might be in error. You might be projecting lemons onto the lemonade of life. How do you know with such certainty that what stands to enslave is not actually what stands to set the mind free? Nonetheless, if your vision and plan are actually less exciting, desirable, inspiring & invigorating than an ashram, maybe that is your best bet. 

No, it is actually much brighter than the ashram. Sometimes I couldn't sleep because I'm so inspired so I wake up and do 3d till 03 AM

20 hours ago, Jodistrict said:

When I lived in Mexico, I had a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house by the beach for $400 a month.  When I was sick I would go to the pharmacy doctor which was less than $5.  Even a ayahuasca ceremony was $100.  In America they charge $1000 dollars.  America is one big ripoff and you have to work longer to pay for the inflation.  If you have a programming job, you could live in another country and work remotely, then reduce your hours.  Medellin Colombia is also becoming popular for remote workers.

Yeah, my girlfriend suggested me to move to Mexico. I will consider it, because even with my current skills I could easily make 600$ dollars and rent a much more moderate apartment than you do and have even money to spare.

What else low-cost areas do you everyone know? Goa for sure. Maybe someone shares their experience in living in cheap countries?

2 hours ago, Michael569 said:

@EugeneTheSage 

I don't know much about Ashram but maybe there are other options to consider as well. 

I would start by figuring out what is the minimum income per month you need to sustain a decent lifestyle. Once you have that number, start looking for some easy part-time job. Somewhere you'll be able to do your stuff without too much interruption. 

I'm thinking: librarian, night guard, Aupair, online conversation tutor for foreign people, some easy IT ticketing job, deliveroo or Uber Eats bicycle courier, Uber driver, ..you know things like that that won't require a lot of work and will let you do your own thing either at work directly or give you enough time after working hours. None of those examples may be good but you get the message. 

Make sure you're not trying to leech on existing system by pulling money doing nothing. The world doesn't work like that (no offence ) 

I tried to do Uber courier delivery by bicycle and it was ok. However only if you are not renting an apartment/room.