Brandon L

Grandfather basically tells me to chase money and not purpose.

29 posts in this topic

Instead of denigrating earlier generations, why not respect them? Eastern cultures tend to venerate their ancestors, but for some reason here in the West, we feel it is ok to mock them. We don't have to agree with our grandparents' opinions, but at least understand that they love us, their intentions are genuine, and just maybe there is a kernel of wisdom in their perspective. I have yet to find another human that I couldn't learn something from.

The Greeks had it right. Life is about balance, and the world is constantly shifting perspectives to find that balance. Anything taken to an extreme becomes evil. Far left or far right, it doesn't matter. Extremes are the enemy of wisdom.

Sadly, our current culture is to entrap ourselves in an echo chamber that amplifies everything we want to hear, rather than stepping outside, and seeking the wisdom of other perspectives.

Being and doing are both important. Find the balance for yourself.

Posted (edited)

32 minutes ago, Moksha said:

their intentions are genuine

We all know what the road to hell is paved with though, right?

Edited by blankisomeone

8 minutes ago, blankisomeone said:

We all know what the road to hell is paved with though, right?

My point was not only that they intend well, but that their perspective is a gift, for people who are willing to winnow the wheat from the chaff. Even the most antiquated perspectives have a kernel of truth. Find the kernel, and thank them for it.

Or, go with the current climate and surround yourself with bobbleheads that affirm what you want to believe. That is the easy way out, but not the most enlightening.

On 7/24/2021 at 10:04 PM, Brandon L said:

So does that mean that people should just stay at their jobs forever, climb the corporate ladder and forget about their purpose? Because that is what he is implying.

You may interpret it the wrong way.  Don't you think your grandpa want you to focus on being financial independent first?  

He might give a bad advice, but I'm more concerning about your lack of respecting for him.

Hakuna matata

6 minutes ago, Tim Ho said:

He might give a bad advice, but I'm more concerning about your lack of respecting for him.

@Tim Ho I do respect my grandfather. I just couldn't determine whether or not if his advice was legitimate or not.

Posted (edited)

@Brandon L I think it's okay to listen to suggestions but at the end of the day, you have to live your life that feels right to you. Don't live your life for someone else's idea of how to live or maybe regrets they have. There aren't guarantees in life no matter what you do.. yes money can help with your next steps towards more of the life you want but I think people who want to create more purpose and meaning out of their life are not satisfied with JUST more money. Also too much playing just for security/safety can kill your spirit ;).

Edited by puporing

On 7/27/2021 at 0:25 PM, Brandon L said:

@Tim Ho I do respect my grandfather. I just couldn't determine whether or not if his advice was legitimate or not.

Cool man, sorry I misspoke.   I just wish I still have a grandpa to talk to.

Hakuna matata

What was wise in the time that your grandfather came of age, is foolish in the time you're coming of age.

His advice is good for making it in his time. It will hold you back if you listen to him.

There are times to listen to people in older generations. This is not one of them. 

Enrollment now open for my Shadow Work Group Class! Limited spots available. 

Click here to learn more!