Brandon L

Grandfather basically tells me to chase money and not purpose.

29 posts in this topic

So I just got done having an interesting talk with my grandfather about careers while we were out for dinner for my dad's birthday and I had to share it.

It started by my grandfather asking me if I was happy at my job, I responded saying...

"I am, but i plan on not being there for that long because I have a side that I'm working on to eventually become my career which is my YouTube channel, I talk about spirituality."

He responds saying...

"You must not be happy at your job if you plan on leaving in the future. Go get another job where you are actually happy and never leave."

I then told him...

"I am happy at my job, but I have a greater purpose than just to be working a typical job."

He responds saying...

"Does your YouTube channel generate income?"

I told him...

"No, because I'm just starting out. Just like how any business starts out with no income. Then you gradually work towards building your business to the point where you can generate income."

He responds...

"Well the world is always changing, and right now it seems were heading into communism, and the US has transitioned into christianity. Your channel about spirituality will not work out, and YouTube probably wont be around in the future. You need to get a job or a career to where you are making alot of money and climbing the corporate ladder. If you plan on leaving your current job in the future and not climbing the corporate ladder, get another job."

I couldn't believe what he had said, but I didn't want to get into it with him at the dinner table considered it was my dad's birthday dinner.

So does that mean that people should just stay at their jobs forever, climb the corporate ladder and forget about their purpose? Because that is what he is implying.

Spirituality and truth is my purpose. I my purpose is the spread it on YouTube. 

Also people have different world views and beliefs. Not everyone here in the US is a Christian and I am NOT going to make my channel about christianity just because the US is a Christian nation. That is complete nonsense.

The world has also been constantly changing since the dawn of time, ain't nothing new here.

The crazy thing is that my grandfather has spiritual believes like in reincarnation, but it seems like my grandfather has transitioned into christianity, he says that what's happening right now in the world is God's punishment, and the world needs to go back to religion.

I also take into consideration that my grandfather is old school. He is 75 years old, and the way he lived back then is way different than how we are living now.

But to say you need to chase money and get a job where you climb the corporate ladder and to forget about your life purpose is very toxic advice in my opinion.

What are your guy's overall thoughts about this?

Why would you listen to a Boomer's advice about the future?

Don't be a fool.

You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

That advice isn't completely empty, it represents some part of being that is needed to be embodied that we can't and shouldn't try to escape. It is just grossly misrepresented through his perspective, through his lens which is tainted by the world and world view that he grew up with and lived through, but there is some amount of wisdom to be consumed.

You can learn such things as discipline, grit and relentless pursuit and so on from this generation. But add onto this, by yourself, a deeper sense of direction and sense of purpose.

That wisdom will translate into different and new behaviors when meeting with the world of today, your world view that is emerging, and your values as they shift. 

He won't understand, and that's not a neccessity. Attempting to gain his understanding is wasted time, and can only happen by proof, looking back after you've made success out of your pursuit, by the measures that resonate with him, the gaining if his acceptance of his parameters and definition of success. 

But even so, that is only represented by the need to get approval, which is a distraction. 

Blindly listening and following advice is the behavior of a follower, and what is called for is becoming our own leader. 

53 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Lol, came here to say this

"You Create Magic" 

Posted (edited)

@Brandon L  I wouldnt believe a word any Christian says. Christianity is the spawn of the devil. I know that sounds kind of harsh, but it's not too far off.

Edited by diamondpenguin

Love life and your Health, INFJ Visionary

4 hours ago, Brandon L said:

"right now it seems were heading into communism, and the US has transitioned into christianity."

nuff said. 

11 minutes ago, Breakingthewall said:

your grandfather's advice on a career and that is typically outdated, we would tell our grandchildren, do what your heart tells you, etc. But here is an issue to keep in mind: money. Without money you are screwed, freedom costs money. breathing costs money. Without money you are a slave who pulls a rikshaw until your lungs burst for a plate of food ... yes, you are in the first world and it does not seem so ugly ... until it gets ugly. my advice to my grandson would be: yes, do what your heart tells you, but don't be stupid. always have a plan b. and never depend on a corporate job, any day they could decide that they no longer need you

basically, follow your heart but take your brain with you xD 

Look, I don't know your grandpa and I'm not going to dunk on him on this website because he's a boomer, a christian or whatever.

You made this thread because you intuitively felt a wisdom behind his words specifically said to you, right?  Even though your "beliefs" are at odds with his, correct?  I'm assuming your grandpa wouldn't want to sabotage your happiness because he most likely knows that he's at the final chapter in his life--and he knows you're a young buck with the world ahead of you just starting your first chapter.  This is an assumption on my part, so if what I said here isn't true then disregard what I say lol.

As much as people like to dunk on boomers, some mean no harm when they give advice to you, even though it comes across as harsh or at odds with your beliefs.  He doesn't want you to suffer and be poor in the future.  You could be sad or depressed about other things in your life in the future, but if you have lots of money, a fulfilling career, nice house, etc.  It's much much comfortable to cry in a Porsche than in some shitbox in a bad part of town.

Keep in mind, this forum has a tendency to have completely narcissistic people (me included lol), so everybody has to be right and he has to be wrong.  So people are going to call your grandpa an idiot but they weren't there when he told you these things.

You're at an advantage with his advice because you can morph it or evolve it into something beneficial to only you.  He's not telling you to literally just become him or anything--he wants you to not suffer financially if shit hits the fan.  I'm assuming COVID-19 shocked him and everyone else around him (duh) so he's giving you cautious advice to have a parachute in case anything happens.  A hybrid of your life and life choices and his advice could be very beneficial to you in the long run.  

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, Brandon L said:

YouTube probably wont be around in the future.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA! 

HAHAHAHAHHA

Edited by Carl-Richard

To balance beauty and complexity so perfectly is a divine mystery.

Posted (edited)

Honestly, pursue money. Purpose and meaning can come but life is long. I wish I had listened to my family telling me to pursue money.

Can we just admit that even leo did not make his money that way?

Edited by Thought Art

"Now here's the Sun and it's alright, Now here's the Moon and It's alright..But every-time you close your eyes... Lies" -Arcade Fire Rebellion

Personal Growth Vlog - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzVkdPNRrNT7SN1aoco2MdA

14 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

Honestly, pursue money.

What type of money?

To balance beauty and complexity so perfectly is a divine mystery.

16 hours ago, Brandon L said:

"You must not be happy at your job if you plan on leaving in the future. Go get another job where you are actually happy and never leave."

LOL WUT?

You should have physically left that conversation at that point. Hehe!

What a wage slave!

16 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

Honestly, pursue money.

I agree 100%

''Do what makes money and money will follow''  -George Bruno

Posted (edited)

God I HATE boomers with a passion😂

This is probably the dark side of stage green manifesting in me

I seriously wouldn’t be able to finish my dinner with a grandfather shitting out of his mouth in front of me

Edited by blankisomeone

Posted (edited)

21 hours ago, Brandon L said:

Well the world is always changing, and right now it seems were heading into communism

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

You ask him for his advice and wisdom and he transitions into politics and isms? Disgusting.

Edited by blankisomeone

59 minutes ago, blankisomeone said:

🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

You ask him for his advice and wisdom and he transitions into politics and isms? Disgusting.

The funny thing is I didn't even ask him for advice. He automatically gave me advice...

21 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Don't be a fool.

@Leo Gura I figured I'd listen just to see what he has to say given that he is 75 years old with alot of life experience.

I just couldn't fathomed whether or not if his advice was legitimate, but deep down in the back of my mind I kinda knew that it was nonsense. I didn't even ask him for any advice to begin with.

I'm sure the majority of people has had that "grandparent talk" where the grandparents seem like they have life all figured out and they think the  advice they give their grandkids is solid advice but it turns out that it's actually really shitty advice, lol...

5 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA! 

HAHAHAHAHHA

@Carl-Richard Exactly what I said.

19 hours ago, blankisomeone said:

This is probably the dark side of stage green manifesting in me

I seriously wouldn’t be able to finish my dinner with a grandfather shitting out of his mouth in front of me

I don’t recommend you take such a hateful attitude like me, though. Hating sucks

I’m sorry for expressing myself like this