Someone here

There is no death?

12 posts in this topic

What do you think about the idea that there is no death, as in, a deprivation chamber where we somehow exist in some kind of limbo where nothing exists, except our dread that we are dead and cognition that there is nothing?

It seems that life only can know life. It seems that there is no way life can know non-existence (how reductionist science explains it).

For example, take total anaesthesia. For most of the people time / existence during anaesthesia will be completely lost - for them these few minutes / hours did not exist - the moment they wake up immediately follows up their last conscious moment.

Similarly, if someone is dead (looking from reductionist science standpoint), they cannot be aware of the fact they are dead.

So for them, the next moment they are aware of, must be after millions or trillions of years has passed and millions of universes had existed - until they exist again (so the matter organises itself in same way to form that exact person).

This seemingly naive thinking could bring about discussion about "Eternal return", that has been in an interesting way discussed by Anthony Peake whose book I read recently and found as thought provoking.


I live my life in a dream; the constant threat of a rude awakening keeps me on my toes.
-Mettley Zimmer

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Death, nothingness and non-existence are paradoxical ideas I can't even properly think about. Does non-existence exist, or not exist? 

If  non-existence (death) exists, it is part of the realm of existence. In that case, existence has no opposite. In fact, that's true either way: if non-existence (ie nothing or death) does exist, it's not opposite to existence. If non-existence doesn't exist, then it's also not in opposition (or duality) to existence. So existence and non-existence aren't different things are they? This, here and now, is the absolute. This is life. This is death. 

Obviously I can't make myself immortal in the relative sense with a clever philosophical argument, that'd be way too easy! ;)


Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@snowyowl what about deep sleep? What happens there? 


I live my life in a dream; the constant threat of a rude awakening keeps me on my toes.
-Mettley Zimmer

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Someone here said:

What do you think about the idea that there is no death, as in, a deprivation chamber where we somehow exist in some kind of limbo where nothing exists, except our dread that we are dead and cognition that there is nothing?

It seems that life only can know life. It seems that there is no way life can know non-existence (how reductionist science explains it).

For example, take total anaesthesia. For most of the people time / existence during anaesthesia will be completely lost - for them these few minutes / hours did not exist - the moment they wake up immediately follows up their last conscious moment.

Similarly, if someone is dead (looking from reductionist science standpoint), they cannot be aware of the fact they are dead.

 

Precisely why you are conscious forever.  Conscious is possible, un-consciousness is impossible, therefore consciousness is eternal.

Or within the context of probability: If consciousness has a non-0% chance of coming into being, and un-consciousness has a 0% chance of coming into being, then therefore consciousness has a 100% chance of coming into being.

You can't escape from consciousness even if you wanted to.... which is another reason why self-Love is so important.

 

2 hours ago, Someone here said:


So for them, the next moment they are aware of, must be after millions or trillions of years has passed and millions of universes had existed - until they exist again (so the matter organises itself in same way to form that exact person).

 

Fallen into the trap of materialism here?

"Million and trillions of years" is a subjective experience within consciousness, not the other way around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Someone here  hey, I've been contemplating this kind of thing lately :) I'm considering the idea of levels of consciousness of the mind: conscious, sub-conscious and unconscious. Conscious mind might actually be the smallest part, and things like thoughts, intentions, sights and sounds, go through the unconscious or subconscious mind first, which is why they seem to just appear in our awareness from nowhere. Therefore, deep dreamless sleep is the conscious mind switching off for a while, but sub- and un-conscious  mind still carries on for our survival. I've been reading the interlude chapter in The Mind Illuminated about this subject recently. 

Some of the "consciousness is everything" folks may come and contradict me on this, but hey-ho. 


Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Death is a matter of identification.

Yes, eventually your body and mind will disintegrate. Your self will die. 'Someone Here' will stop to exist as a function operating the macro actions of the body. As a self, you will stop perceiving and engaging in conceptual activities. Experience will halt for this self.

So, if you identify with your experience of your self, death is real and present. But this can lead you to explore who you really are, and if death is possible for this real you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

 if they give you anesthesia, you disappear. the same as if you die. your ego disappears, it disconnects, there is no more memory or perception. for you that is total death since you are identified with the ego. but at another level you are me, and the ego with its memory is an illusion that is happening apparently, like mine. if the identification with the ego stop, or get weaker, and begin to identify with what perceive the ego, you find immortality. You, as a ego ,don't care so much what happens to the ego because you see that you aren't real, something empty. You understand, for example, that someone is completely calm before their execution. He has let it go, he doesn't care what happened to the ego, he sees it for what it is. But if you are totally identified with the ego the idea is horrible, even unthinkable. So the answer would be: when you die, nothing happens except the disappearance of this illusion, as if it had never existed. so somehow it doesn't exist now either. Detachment is the answer

Edited by Breakingthewall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no you to die in the first place.  In a sense, you were never even alive. 🙃  To think that you can die is to misidentify yourself as the body/ego.  If you properly identify yourself as Consciousness itself, then you should understand that, by definition, you cannot stop existing.  Consciousness cannot stop being consciousness.  You cannot experience non-experience. There is no such thing as non-existence.  Whether you like it or not, you’re in it for the long haul. 🤪

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Someone here said:

@snowyowl what about deep sleep? What happens there? 

It's a thought in Awareness now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, snowyowl said:

Death, nothingness and non-existence are paradoxical ideas I can't even properly think about. Does non-existence exist, or not exist? 

If  non-existence (death) exists, it is part of the realm of existence. In that case, existence has no opposite. In fact, that's true either way: if non-existence (ie nothing or death) does exist, it's not opposite to existence. If non-existence doesn't exist, then it's also not in opposition (or duality) to existence. So existence and non-existence aren't different things are they? This, here and now, is the absolute. This is life. This is death. 

Obviously I can't make myself immortal in the relative sense with a clever philosophical argument, that'd be way too easy! ;)

Existence and nonexistence are two sides of the same coin. Both are right. 


You mistake my Raja Yoga. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the abc's of the trinity you are are, absolute being concept, each of these distinct in themselves

or satchitanada sat god's truth chit consciousness ananda the bliss of incarnation

as you see these two explanations are one and the same

hopefully this clears up questions about who or what might possible die

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no death.

If you're aware you exist, then you do.


"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now