Alysssa

Is ADHD/ADD is a real disorder?

22 posts in this topic

On 7/24/2021 at 0:02 PM, Alysssa said:

I would like to hear from people who diagnosed with ADHD or ADD by the doctor or people who wasn't diagnosed officially but found the ADHD/ADD symptoms in themselves, what do you think about this disorder and did you ever question it? How this disorder affect your life now? How it affected your life before the diagnostic?

I was diagnosed by a doctor (a psychiatrist specializing in ADHD/ADD and confirmed by another MD). I have ADHD Inattentive type.

I wasnt diagnosed until my 30s. And when I was, I cried. Because things made so much more sense. I was since put on medication that helps regulate the dopamine and norepinephrine levels in my brain. I don't like the idea of being tied to meds for long periods of time, so I'm working closely with my doctor to stay at the lowest possible dose while still being effective. We check in on a monthly basis.

After being medicated, it was like the cobwebs were cleared from my head. The pile of dishes or the laundry that sat for weeks no longer felt like mountains. they were just something that I could do now. I can actually start things, projects, cleaning, work emails, etc. Before, it was a complete aversion, almost. I couldn't even start a new TV show because it felt overwhelming.

Also, it feels GOOD getting a task done. Before I got no reward feeling for finishing something. It didn't feel good to clean the kitchen, it was depressing, because I felt like it was just a waste of time. Or a walk around the neighborhood.. I didn't know that those could feel good. I never got a dopamine increase in my brain from every day tasks. How often would you want to clean your house or do a work task when it actively makes you feel depressed? It was terrible.

Now I just feel.. normal. I feel like how everyone else must feel. Cooking a nice dinner for the family, going on a drive, organizing my closet.. these feel pleasant and I actually feel like I'm accomplishing something. And none of these things cause massive amounts of anxiety anymore.

Anyway, I don't think ADHD is some mysterious, crazy thing. Its just a brain that doesn't produce dopamine correctly. And my meds make me feel like a regular person. Normal, hopeful, productive, capable.

Hope that helps.

Edit: FYI I created an account just to answer this question. I feel like ADHD and the meds for it are so often demonized. And finally being diagnosed was so life changing for me that I like to share my story.

Edited by LilaLives

I was diagnosed adhd in my 30's, I was actually convinced by my ex-partner who was add, to see a psychiatrist about my attention skills.

It was a lengthly assessment, by numerous doctors and it was a strict process they had to follow before dispensing me any medications.

Before I was diagnosed, I had a history of substance abuse, which was narrowed down to the fact that my dopamine levels weren't at the right level, (given that I was self-medicating to correct this imbalance) (which there is no blood test, that would confirm this) and part of this was what I believe to be a "harm-reduction" strategy by the doctors.

By abstaining from A&D, they were prepared to prescribed me adhd medication to help with my attention, awareness, and my ability to improve my cognitive skills. Its definitely had a major impact on my ability to memorise details and "hyper-focus" on details. I can move very quickly and can think on the spot. For me personally it does have draw backs, anxiety and over-thinking things to the point where im thinking faster then I can talk.

Personally, its reached the stage where I've been taking it for so long, that what I believe it has 'adapted' to my physiologically, and I don't notice much difference. Im actually prepared to go back to the psychiatrist to see if there is any 'alternatives' that would keep me focused (especially at work). 

But from what I believe is that the medication is only 20% of the solution to impulsiveness and attention, 80% is up to you to actually do the work, and attain the skills needed to focus on a task without impulsively doing something without thinking it through first. 

I don't believe its a mental health issue, its more of a trait towards a certain personality, just like we have autistic kids.

I would think that boot camps, that taught survival skills, and giving them the freedom to be adventurous and risk takers would teach young kids with 'behavioural issues' or adhd a life long lesson on how to adapt to living a life outside the rules of a normal school. 

Thats just my opinion.