Akira

Leo’s recent blogpost mentioning COVID vaccination rates

49 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, BadHippie said:

What interests me is how Leo´s claim came into being, that 99% of people dying from Covid (US) in hospitals are unvaccinated. Maybe there is something else going on? It should be the same virus there. So that can´t explain the difference. 

99% definitely sounds a bit exaggerated but I found this article, this is maybe what he's referring to:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jul/22/us-coronavirus-covid-unvaccinated-hospital-rates-vaccines

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." - Albert Einstein

Here in the UK, we are in a different position to the US. 

Our vaccine programme was quicker than the US, and we have a much higher uptake of vaccines. We also have a slightly different vaccine mix to the US. 

Because of the fast vaccine programme we have been quicker to remove restrictions. In England we now have essentially no restrictions at all: not even social distancing or face mask rules. The only significant restrictions are on travel abroad, and the requirement to self isolate if we test positive or are in close contact with a case.

This is a recipe for the virus to spread rapidly in a highly vaccinated population. For example, we have 95% uptake in vulnerable people and over 50s. 

This is why in England, we have a lot of vaccinated people in hospital because 1) case rates are extremely high, 2) most people are fully vaccinated, especially in more vulnerable people, and 3) the vaccines are not 100% effective, albeit still extremely effective.

The US is a bit more polarised politically, so you have one side (democrats) who are much more compliant with the rules, and much more likely to get the vaccine, then you have the other side (republicans) who are much more likely to ignore the rules and not get vaccinated. The US is so divided that these groups almost never come into contact with each other. 

Hence 2 different pandemics amongst vaccinated and non vaccinated people. 

I got the vaccine but clips like this make me not feel overly confident about the decision.

I'm just joking.. I've done my DD on mRNA vaccines and don't fear the Moderna shot I got.  My mother is staunchly anti-vaccine because she visits Godlikeproductions a lot and has swallowed a lot of the anti-vaccine Kool aid. My father hasn't gotten it either as he eats plant based and believes the high amount of anti-oxidants in his diet will be enough.  I don't really care and don't push it on people. Get it or not.

On 24.7.2021 at 11:47 AM, Akira said:

Leo claims: 

“The other important fact you need to know is that 99% of people now hospitalized or dying from Covid-19 are unvaccinated.”

i’m not sure if this is true for the US but here in the UK this is not true...

why did you make this claim?

Either I’m misunderstanding or mistaken or you didn’t bother to check...

interesting 

Here is what I found: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7021e3.htm

A total of 10,262 SARS-CoV-2 vaccine breakthrough infections had been reported from 46 U.S. states and territories as of April 30, 2021. Among these cases, 6,446 (63%) occurred in females, and the median patient age was 58 years (interquartile range = 40–74 years). Based on preliminary data, 2,725 (27%) vaccine breakthrough infections were asymptomatic, 995 (10%) patients were known to be hospitalized, and 160 (2%) patients died. Among the 995 hospitalized patients, 289 (29%) were asymptomatic or hospitalized for a reason unrelated to COVID-19. The median age of patients who died was 82 years (interquartile range = 71–89 years); 28 (18%) decedents were asymptomatic or died from a cause unrelated to COVID-19. Sequence data were available from 555 (5%) reported cases, 356 (64%) of which were identified as SARS-CoV-2 variants of concern,§ including B.1.1.7 (199; 56%), B.1.429 (88; 25%), B.1.427 (28; 8%), P.1 (28; 8%), and B.1.351 (13; 4%).

As of April 30, 2021, approximately 101 million persons in the United States had been fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

Edited by Loving Radiance

Life Purpose journey

Presence. Goodness. Grace. Love.

@Loving Radiance "101 million persons in the United States had been fully vaccinated against COVID-19." Does this mean that less than 1/3 of americans have been fully vaccinated?

Does this not mean then that a higher percentage of the population either has one dose, or no dose? and so the fully vaxed are a smaller percentage? 

Is it not possible that the number for higher hospitalizations of "unvaccinated" are higher because there are a higher number within this category?

By stating "99% of people dying from Covid (US) in hospitals are unvaccinated",  is this not an unscientific way to handle "science"? Are we "pro-science" at this point?  

Also note: "The median age of patients who died was 82 years (interquartile range = 71–89 years); 28 (18%) decedents were asymptomatic or died from a cause unrelated to COVID-19." 

Edited by Johnny Galt

11 minutes ago, Johnny Galt said:

@Loving Radiance Does this mean that less then 1/3 of americans have been fully vaccinated?

Yes, fully vaccinated - it says so in the quote. It also came out in late May and it used the numbers from the end of April. Since then it is at 171 million fully vaccinated people.

By stating "99% of people dying from Covid (US) in hospitals are unvaccinated",  is this not an unscientific way to handle "science"? Are we "pro-science" at this point?

What do you mean? Can you be specific?

May & April

Life Purpose journey

@Loving Radiance I should have said more for the second quote you pasted. To just say 99% who die are unvaccinated and so therefore it's because they are unvaccinated that they are in the hospital and dying, considering all the other variables, is this not misleading?  

As a side note, my response was more directed to the thread then you.

Edited by Johnny Galt

12 hours ago, Johnny Galt said:

@Loving Radiance I should have said more for the second quote you pasted. To just say 99% who die are unvaccinated and so therefore it's because they are unvaccinated that they are in the hospital and dying, considering all the other variables, is this not misleading? 

I still don't get how it is misleading.

160 / 575,746 = 0.028% COVID deaths (total) despite being fully vaccinated

(Total deaths in the United States: 575,746 --> https://www.everydayhealth.com/coronavirus/coronavirus-alert/2021april30/)

[Edit: It doesn't make sense to compare total death despite being vaccinated to total deaths since the start of the pandemic. My mistake]

As a side note, my response was more directed to the thread then you.

Thanks for the notice. I assumed that it all was directed towards me. Perhaps next time make a paragraph or write "directed towards the thread in general". That would cause less confusion.

[correcting my dumb reasoning]

Life Purpose journey

@Loving Radiance Many will state, 99% of deaths are the unvaccinated and then they will go on to claim, that it is because they are unvaccinated which is why they are hospitalized and because they die, when in reality there are many other factors at play. Once again, this objection of mine, this is driven by how I see people working with stats and so again it goes beyond your initial post.

6 minutes ago, Loving Radiance said:

Thanks for the notice. I assumed that it all was directed towards me. Perhaps next time make a paragraph or write "directed towards the thread in general". That would cause less confusion.

I hear ya! 

Edited by Johnny Galt

12 hours ago, Johnny Galt said:

when in reality there are many other factors at play

Which ones do you mean?

Life Purpose journey

@Loving Radiance Age, obesity, and a range of other underlying health issues.

Additionally, to speak to poor handling of stats in general, beyond the "99% deaths are the unvaccinated" focus on this thread, there's also the reality of how, in many cases, back in 2020, they were marking unrelated deaths as covid deaths simply because they tested positive of covid at around the time of death. Examples:

@Akira @Loving Radiance Note, to you and who those are following this thread, it no longer shows up in the the section "Society, Environment, Government, Politics".

edit: interesting, it's available to see again.

Edited by Johnny Galt

If everyone in the country got vaccinated the number of Covid deaths would drop to nearly zero.

Stop muddying the waters with BS. Your mud is killing people.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura the videos above, these are scientists, these are experts, wouldn't it be wise to listen to those in the position to speak? 

3 minutes ago, Johnny Galt said:

@Leo Gura the videos above, these are scientists, these are experts, wouldn't it be wise to listen to those in the position to speak? 

@Johnny Galt Exactly. It is wise to listen to the scientists and experts in regards to vaccines, this is why only idiots are anti-vaxxers in the face of overwhelming scientific consensus. 

You are simply cherry-picking the minority of scientists that fit your narrative. 

@Stovo How is presenting a few videos - "cherry picking"? Did you even watch the content? Are clear on the material even being discussed here?

@Stovo 

9 minutes ago, Stovo said:

Because I could send you videos from other "experts" saying the completely opposite thing

Which means there's no sweeping consensus - are we in agreement then? 

Edited by Johnny Galt

1 minute ago, Johnny Galt said:

@Stovo 

Which means there's no sweeping consensus - are we in agreement then? 

There is sweeping consensus.

I agree that there are instances where deaths are recorded as covid deaths, which were in fact related to other causes. This is the difficulty in collecting statistics during a pandemic. 

However, this is more than counteracted by all the covid deaths that aren't picked up in the statistics, which you can see by the fact that excess deaths are far higher than the official covid death count in every country.