Terell Kirby

What is the point of enlightenment?

43 posts in this topic

No point at all. Either it happens or it doesn't, you have no say in the matter. Either you sustain the desire long enough to awaken or you don't. Life can easily distract you from your enlightenment goals, and probably will. Really once you know it's a dream, you can just enjoy the rest of your life safe in the knowledge that you have nothing to fear and it's all an illusion within universal mind. If you want abiding non-dual awareness then keep going, but I only see 0.001% of people really willing to do the work, and even then there's no reason to do it. It's just completing the video game. How many games do you continue playing once you've completed them?

57 minutes ago, iboughtleosbooklist said:

Really once you know it's a dream, you can just enjoy the rest of your life safe in the knowledge that you have nothing to fear and it's all an illusion within universal mind.

Sounds good, but the problem is that once you are at that point things get strange. the dream no longer makes sense, it is true that suffering decreases a lot, but living in a state of unreality is not satisfactory. This is when you change from escaping from suffering to seeking the truth ... whatever it is

6 hours ago, Terell Kirby said:

thanks for providing a response that’s actually constructive :D.

What I was alluding to in the original inquiry is that enlightenment goes full circle. You end up where you were before the journey even began, knowing your True nature has always been eternal. Therefore “purpose” of the spiritual path seems to be a human endeavor. Purpose brings a notion of going somewhere, realization is becoming attuned to what is in the present. This has been my letting go process.

Yes purpose in general is selfish.  God only awakens through selflessness and Love.  It is God's will but God's will is forfeit for Love for itself - meaning it equals pure selflessness and Infinity 

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

7 hours ago, Terell Kirby said:

The question itself is relative. Is there there a purpose to spiritual work in the Absolute sense?

As I get deeper, it almost feels like the “point” of enlightenment is to eventually let go of the “point” I constructed in the first place...which puts me where I was before I even embarked on the journey.

Ugh...strange loop!

the point of enlightenment is to achieve it so you can show off that you're enlightened and the others aren't.

The point for the consumer is not the same point for the creator. But it's also somehow the same.

You are a consumer of the idea of enlightenment. Realize that, and then proceed.

Foolish until proven other-wise ;)

1 minute ago, electroBeam said:

the point of enlightenment is to achieve it so you can show off that you're enlightened and the others aren't.

Haha you are spot on in calling out the primary motive for spiritual egos. Helps to be conscious of it...very sneaky.

8 minutes ago, Gesundheit2 said:

The point for the consumer is not the same point for the creator. But it's also somehow the same.

You are a consumer of the idea of enlightenment. Realize that, and then proceed.

The consumer wants enlightenment for survival.  The creator is enlightenment.  It does not need enlightenment it just imagines it does so it can unite with itself over and over.  There is nothing else to do but to experience Infinite Love onto eternity.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

If you want to have any lasting insight at all, it’s the only way. 

If you want to transcend suffering, it’s the only way. 

If you want identity, struggle, and hopelessness, stop seeking. 

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

4 minutes ago, BipolarGrowth said:

If you want identity, struggle, and hopelessness, stop seeking. 

Yes to seek it Is suffering.  One must forfeit their own existence for enlightenment.  They must die for it.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

29 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

Yes to seek it Is suffering.  One must forfeit their own existence for enlightenment.  They must die for it.

There is no possibility for the best life until one has become death. 

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 

enlightenment is nothing more than saying yes

fools be coming on internet forums and arguing with folks, saying no that is not the way it is lol

everything around you in professing god's highest truth according to its level of consciousness

do you get that? can you say yes to that?

every moment can be an unqualified earth shaking rapturous yes to what is, you will not mine o lord

The point of enlightenment is Truth. Thats really it. Everything else is a nice by-product.

Just depends on how badly you want the truth.

"The Truth Shall Set You Free, But First It Will Mess You Up"   ;)

Edited by snowyowl

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :) 

"If you find truth you will become invincible." — Epictetus

;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Terell Kirby Yes, it is a loop. Eventually, you will realize that you were always "enlightened" and choosing to forget. To play a game of discovery and expansion.

On 23/07/2021 at 7:07 PM, Leo Gura said:

If you have to ask, it ain't for you.

As if you had never asked yourself why you do all of that.

I hated the nothingness, until I lost it and wanted it back.

Imo it's a good question. It's probably even a necessary step for most people.

My ignorant answer would be, it's not good for anything except it's the escape from ego-suffering.

Freedom from the need for anything to be other than what it is. 

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

20 hours ago, BipolarGrowth said:

There is no possibility for the best life until one has become death. 

I hope you're not planning on hurting yourself.❤

I realize you may be talking about ego death or the recognition that it isn't real. 

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

1 hour ago, VeganAwake said:

I hope you're not planning on hurting yourself.❤

I realize you may be talking about ego death or the recognition that it isn't real. 

No this is not a post about harming myself. It’s specifically about insight from the 9th Jhana. Death is perfectly real. You’re just something beyond life and death.