Terell Kirby

What is the point of enlightenment?

43 posts in this topic

The question itself is relative. Is there there a purpose to spiritual work in the Absolute sense?

As I get deeper, it almost feels like the “point” of enlightenment is to eventually let go of the “point” I constructed in the first place...which puts me where I was before I even embarked on the journey.

Ugh...strange loop!

If you have to ask, it ain't for you.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

3 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Now now

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

19 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

How condescending lol. Did you not ask the question yourself before your journey? The question itself leads to a deeper inquiry. 

Edited by Terell Kirby

5 minutes ago, Terell Kirby said:

How condescending lol. Did you not ask the question yourself before your journey? The question itself leads to a deeper inquiry. 

A big part of this work is being sovereign in your own investigation 

Keep asking questions, Leo tends to be very relaxed on the forum imo

We need schools and teachings of course, asking questions is important. 

I think there will be many times along the path we ask questions as things recontextualize. 

Maybe there is wisdom behind what he is saying too..

"It ain't for you.." The ego wants something... So, it aint for you ego.

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

Just now, Thought Art said:

A big part of this work is being sovereign in your own investigation 

Of course it is, but why do we engage in forum discussions in the first place? Is it not just to ask questions and receive valued feedback? Doing this doesn’t take away from sovereign investigation..it is indeed a part of it.

38 minutes ago, Terell Kirby said:

The question itself is relative. Is there there a purpose to spiritual work in the Absolute sense?

As I get deeper, it almost feels like the “point” of enlightenment is to eventually let go of the “point” I constructed in the first place...which puts me where I was before I even embarked on the journey.

Ugh...strange loop!

For God to wake up to itself what else?

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

5 minutes ago, Terell Kirby said:

Of course it is, but why do we engage in forum discussions in the first place? Is it not just to ask questions and receive valued feedback? Doing this doesn’t take away from sovereign investigation..it is indeed a part of it.

Don't take it personally. Just, keep asking, keep doing the work if it interests and resonates with you... I think

Leo has hours and hours  of content if you really want his thoughts on it.

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

2 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

For God to wake up to itself what else?

thanks for providing a response that’s actually constructive :D.

What I was alluding to in the original inquiry is that enlightenment goes full circle. You end up where you were before the journey even began, knowing your True nature has always been eternal. Therefore “purpose” of the spiritual path seems to be a human endeavor. Purpose brings a notion of going somewhere, realization is becoming attuned to what is in the present. This has been my letting go process.

1 minute ago, Terell Kirby said:

thanks for providing a response that’s actually constructive :D.

What I was alluding to in the original inquiry is that enlightenment goes full circle. You end up where you were before the journey even began, knowing your True nature has always been eternal. Therefore “purpose” of the spiritual path seems to be a human endeavor. Purpose brings a notion of going somewhere, realization is becoming attuned to what is in the present. This has been my letting go process.

I think you'll open up more to the paradox as you go. You don't exactly end up where you began.

◭"89"

@Thought Art Fair enough, I’ll keep pushing.

I guess in a sense, where you are in the world remains (material existence as we know it), how you look at it is what changes (material existence is actually a manifestation of my Mind).

I become the Father (just a term) of all aspects of reality. This realization can be defined as the “point” of enlightenment, but it comes with no goals...no purpose.

@Terell Kirby Honestly, enlightenment is a loaded term for me at this point. God realization, becoming awake, etc. I am still early on my path. There seems to be a mountain range with many peeks. Discovery the absolute truth for one, will change you a lot.

This is not really possible to explain with language though so, just bla bla bla 

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

7 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

This is not really possible to explain with language though so, just bla bla bla 

Indeed

1 hour ago, Terell Kirby said:

Is there there a purpose to spiritual work in the Absolute sense?

In the absolute sense i don't know, but in the relative yes: erase, or dissolve, the delusion of the mind, the constant interference, the background noise, to plunge into the present moment. for the simple reason that it is more pleasant, more honest. and beyond that pure bright glory is intuited. reason to spare, more when the other option, to continue in the movie, is quite stupid and even insane

@Terell Kirby yes exactly, meaning purpose and value are socially conditioned concepts within the dream story of being a separate individual(Maya/Matrix).

Enlightenment is freedom for nobody from these illusory parameters of experience. ❤

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

14 minutes ago, Breakingthewall said:

In the absolute sense i don't know, but in the relative yes: erase, or dissolve, the delusion of the mind, the constant interference, the background noise, to plunge into the present moment. for the simple reason that it is more pleasant, more honest. and beyond that pure bright glory is intuited. reason to spare, more when the other option, to continue in the movie, is quite stupid and even insane

Elegantly spoken with wisdom. Seems the initial goal is to somewhat escape the movie when starting out, but one never escapes it...they just see it AS IS :-)

Edited by Terell Kirby

@Terell Kirby thanks! Yes, the first impulse is to escape of a bad dream...after that maybe more to realize the truth=present moment. 

If the movie were good, probably you are ok with that, like most of people, and you never realized that was a movie

@Terell Kirby ignore what Leo said. Leo is not god, despite what he says, he is just a perception, like all things you perceive in your universe of consciousness.

Your question is a legitimate question that is asked on the path and in life: what is the point? why am I doing this? why do anything? etc. all these questions are legit questions.

I started a thread a back in May called enlightenment is pointlessness. 

In it I recommended that people not chase enlightenment unless they had a burning desire to find the bedrock / foundation of existence, because what you find at the end of the journey because what you discover is that "nothing" is the foundation of existence. And a point, whether a geometric point or a philosophical point/intention/purpose, is something. 

Spiritual enlightenment is a very specific thing: it is the realization of the true nature of self and being/existence. And the true nature of self and being/existence is Nothing. Then you realization that the true nature of all existence is Nothing. And if the true nature of everything is nothing, then true nature of everything is the same as the true nature of everything else.

This realization alone, may or may not reduce suffering, may or may not make you a more compassionate person, may or may not make you a more mystical, spiritual person. It depends on what you decide to do after realization.

In words attributed to the Buddha: "Truly, I have gained nothing from enlightenment."

5 hours ago, Terell Kirby said:

Is there there a purpose to spiritual work in the Absolute sense?

Why would the Absolute invoke you if there is no purpose? The creation of "you", as a transient expression of Consciousness, is born of intent. What do you suppose that intent might be?

The richest of kings, in his opulence, is enslaved by his infinite wealth. Perhaps there is adventure in leaving the palace, for a time, and pretending to be a commoner.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.