Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OrganicACV

Dental fillings

13 posts in this topic

If you have tooth decay, what kind of tooth filling materials are healthy, causing the least long-term toxicity?

Many seem to contain heavy metals, or are composites containing synthetic compounds.

Is gold safe? Is it safest to get ceramic fillings?

Ceramic is safe but not as durable as amalgam. It is probably around 20% lifespan compared to mercury but at least it is not toxic. But always address the root cause of the cavity first and make sure it is treated and cleaned 100% before crowned

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

No serious dentist should be doing anything but composite filings or all-ceramic crowns these days.

If your dentist still does metal filings or crowns, find a new dentist because he is a total hack.

Don't go cheap on dentistry or you will regret it.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura  I went to Mexico instead for braces, ended up costing 1.5k total in multiple payments. 

Instead of the 3.5k plus more for other dental work, they said I need.

Went cheaper and didn't regret it.

I have to get a bunch of dental work done, but I'm so damn reluctant to go. It's CRIMINAL what they charge at nearly every place for something that's considered a medical service. And how and why the mouth is deemed a separate part of human anatomy in medicine so that it's not covered by taxes in my country is beyond me. A corrupt oversight.

They also can't even do me the decency of providing a quote or an estimate nearly every place I go to. Secretaries seem to universally act like clueless fucks for some reason, as if they are coached to be deliberately vague just draw people in. I've noticed this paying close attention to their language, no matter what approach I take. Since they are all competing with each other either too, transferring medical documents and history between offices is pointless. It can be a few month old x-ray and they'll be like, "Nope sorry you've gotta register with us and start from scratch xD. That'll be $200 please!" 

Then there is the hygienists. Most of them berate you like hell for not having flawless genetics or dental health, like they don't want you there or to do their job for some reason, even though they are being grossly overpaid for the service they provide. Then have the audacity to think you're being rude for being quiet and expect to have a conversation with (sharp) metal tools in your mouth lmao?

I think I've met 2 people in the industry who were decent, caring human beings that actually seemed to have a standard of professionalism, most everyone else has been a cu** to varying degrees.

Sorry for my rant and not really answering your question. But God I hate this industry.

hrhrhtewgfegege

9 hours ago, LessonsSavesLifes said:

@Leo Gura  I went to Mexico instead for braces, ended up costing 1.5k total in multiple payments. 

Instead of the 3.5k plus more for other dental work, they said I need.

Went cheaper and didn't regret it.

Just because you got lucky doesn't mean it was a smart move.

Also, I was talking about within-country. Obviously you can find good dentists in other countries. Cheapness is relative to within the country. You can't compare prices in different countries to each other because the economies are totally different.

6 hours ago, Roy said:

They also can't even do me the decency of providing a quote or an estimate nearly every place I go to. Secretaries seem to universally act like clueless fucks for some reason, as if they are coached to be deliberately vague just draw people in. I've noticed this paying close attention to their language, no matter what approach I take. Since they are all competing with each other either too, transferring medical documents and history between offices is pointless. It can be a few month old x-ray and they'll be like, "Nope sorry you've gotta register with us and start from scratch xD. That'll be $200 please!" 

I don't know where you find your dentists but I always get free quotes printed out on paper.

Yes, you won't get a quote over the phone, you must come in. But every dentist I know will give free estimates. I recently got a bunch of free estimates for a crown and comparison shopped. Dentists are way more open about pricing than regular doctors, who are deliberately opaque. Regular doctors are the real crooks. And hospitals are the worst.

As far as xrays go, yes, they love to over-do them. You gotta stand your ground and also get a copy of your last xray for your records so they have no excuse to redo it.

When it comes to dentists and doctors you gotta boss them around otherwise they will jerk and milk you. Stand your ground and tell them upfront you ain't paying for anything they don't quote you on paper first.

There are great dentists at the border of San Diego, I remember when I was there, there were people that were from LA driving just to get dental work done for half the price, great nice people. The only issue would be that It's in TJ, kinda dangerous on paper but had zero problems, just don't flash wealth and go on the weekends, and your good (:  Also Moda is legal there so if you ever vacation there, you have cheap moda nearby, (cheap in terms of USD)   @Leo Gura @Leo Gura

Most of my experiences in Mexico were shitty.

Once I had a moth fly in my ear and got stuck in there, buzzing around.

Fuck Mexico.

But, hey, I could be biased :P

On 24/07/2021 at 1:19 PM, Leo Gura said:

Regular doctors are the real crooks. And hospitals are the worst.

@Leo Gura Nice generalization. There may well come a time when you revise this stance. 

45 minutes ago, Corpus said:

@Leo Gura Nice generalization. There may well come a time when you revise this stance. 

Not in this lifetime, doc ;)