Soulife96

Integral theory stage Teal

6 posts in this topic

I guess this corresponds to Spiral Dynamics stage yellow. In stage Teal in integral theory, among other things, one holds many different perspectives, and can hold many different opposing perspectives, that might be contradictory to each other. I guess I have two questions:

1. How does this work when working on becoming more integrous? 

2. Is having both a more "hippie" and idealistic facet while having a more "squared" and "conventional" facet, an example of this? Any tips on how to integrate both in the most healthy manner?

thanks in advance 

54 minutes ago, Soulife96 said:

1. How does this work when working on becoming more integrous? 

Integrity does not contradict having a contradictory world view.

In fact, I would say the only way to really be in integrity is to have integrated all your contradictions. Then you are “whole” and can operate from integrity, because you are not fighting against yourself.

56 minutes ago, Soulife96 said:

. Is having both a more "hippie" and idealistic facet while having a more "squared" and "conventional" facet, an example of this? Any tips on how to integrate both in the most healthy manner?

I would say so. “Hippie” usually refers to people who follow their intuition and feelings, crave freedom / low responsibility. Whereas “square” people usually like to have everything known, follow their intellect and crave order.

The reality is you need some balance of both.

The best way I’ve found to integrate these things is to take each one to it’s extreme, suffer its limitations, and then dial it back out of wisdom.

So for instance, maybe you go all in on being “hippie”. Get the harem pants and everything. And that’s great for a while. But then you start to crave depth in your relationships, and realize you can’t have that unless you commit. And commitment infringes on you desire for freedom. So now you’re stuck, and your mind has to resolve this tension.

Or the opposite. You go super square for a while, and that works. Your life feels structured, safe. But then find your life lacks excitement and adventure. It’s not fun. Everything is safe but you never take any risks. So again, your mind has to resolve the tension.

This is how integration happens in my experience.

Don’t be afraid to swing the pendulum hard. Yes you’ll make mistakes, but mistakes ARE the point.

There is a video with Kim Barta and that older guy with glasses who is on Integral Life channels called Shadow and Light of Higher Stages of Consciousness or something...

I think around 30-60 mins he starts using the analogy about 'Knights of the Round Table' as the multiple perspectives and giving each their own kingship authority , not just equality, that was really powerful

On 7/23/2021 at 11:21 AM, Soulife96 said:

Any tips on how to integrate both in the most healthy manner?

There's no "trick" to integrating perspectives and fitting them together neatly. It just takes time, trial, and error. For me, noticing and accepting deeply that 'reality is paradoxical' on some of my earlier psychedelic trips helped. Then learning and applying contradictory perspectives through lots of action made the difference (and still is).

On 7/23/2021 at 0:29 PM, aurum said:

Don’t be afraid to swing the pendulum hard. Yes you’ll make mistakes, but mistakes ARE the point.

Bingo.

@WonderSeeker

On 27.7.2021 at 3:26 AM, WonderSeeker said:

There's no "trick" to integrating perspectives and fitting them together neatly. It just takes time, trial, and error. For me, noticing and accepting deeply that 'reality is paradoxical' on some of my earlier psychedelic trips helped. Then learning and applying contradictory perspectives through lots of action made the difference (and still is).

Bingo.

Thank you! 

aqal_integral_map_2550x1718.jpg

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.