How to be wise

Ben Shapiro vs Islam

10 posts in this topic

I don’t agree with many things Ben Shapiro says, but it’s hard to disagree with him about this. He is attacking the barbaric and medieval aspects of Islam, which is definitely quite welcome. Ayaan Hirsi Ali is also doing a good job in attacking and exposing orthodox Islam. For once Ben is up to something useful.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

I was hoping for a rap battle before I clicked this thread 

Yeah, having people who attack Islam for being barbaric is a good thing. The same way having some people who defend Islam under the ideals of Multiculturalism is a good thing. 

Ben isn't exactly one such person, but the hardcore atheists like Ayaan Hirsi Ali and Sam Harris have functions when they criticise fundamentalist Islam. They were good for me as a stepping stone, since I was raised muslim.

Also, many westerners aren't educated or knowledgeable about Islam either, so it serves that function. However, that knowledge can be used to justify prejudice or racism if a person is so like that. I am so like that at times 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

The problem is that in order to be this obsessed about Islam in particular, you're most likely also harboring some sketchy right-wing views.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Islam is a good religion.

It's radical Islam that is the real problem.

Radical Islaam is a political Fascist ideology.

Islam is a peaceful loving religion.

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

In order to attack Islam, first at least learn what Islam is.

Read about Islam. Explore Islam.

People start attacking Islam even before trying to explore and understand it 

Islam most fundamental concept is to pray with honest and good intention..

It focuses on prayer and seeking good for everyone.

This Religion gets bad rep just because people decided to cherry pick certain aspects and focus on the actions of a few people to judge a huge population of peaceful Muslims.

It's a shame that people are so quick to believe stereotypes and not wanting to look past these stereotypes

Islam saved me from a dark phase in life.

Islam has a beauty that only a true seeker will be able to see.

Islam is a beautiful religion and practiced beautifully by those who seek good intentions.

This religion should not be demonized.

(Happy Eid-ul-adha to Muslims)

Edited by Preety_India

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

1 hour ago, lmfao said:

hardcore atheists like Ayaan Hirsi Ali and Sam Harris have functions when they criticise fundamentalist Islam. They were good for me as a stepping stone, since I was raised muslim.

I think Sam Harris has some extremely bad takes on Islam. Even when he is right in a technical sense, and makes an argument why "Islam is not a religion of peace" it ends up antagonizing those same moderate muslims that he claims don't even exist. It's not a good way to reach out.

The moderate muslims get regularly owned buy the radicals. They help the radicals indirectly.

2 hours ago, Epikur said:

The moderate muslims get regularly owned buy the radicals. They help the radicals indirectly.

I sense a hidden prescriptive statement in there somewhere...

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

20 hours ago, Preety_India said:

It's radical Islam that is the real problem.

Radical Islaam is a political Fascist ideology.

I agree with your message, but why did we start using 'radical' for fascist reactionaries? At one time, radical was a positive adjective, used to mean getting to the root of an issue, people wanting to make revolutionary change, including progressives going further than the usual muddling through of the mainstream politics. 

I hear a lot of ideas in this forum I'd like to call radical but the term is now tainted by this fascist association. 

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :) 

There’s some profound quotes prophet Muhammad pbuh said, like the one below. I think Leo mentioned this quote in a different form, in one of his video. He talked about small and large Jihad. I go from embracing to deconstructing/debunking Islam. I can’t find an appropriate balance/integration acceptance, and resistance in relation to my Islamic background.73D2AD3C-5609-4490-8397-FFCDF0B21C3A.png