Shiva99

Smartphone addiction

9 posts in this topic

I got rid of my smartphone and bought a dumbphone because i was addicted to it like crazy. It helps a lot, especially since i'm almost never using my dumbphone when i'm out and about. The problem now is that whenever i'm at home, i use my laptop way more than i used to. It seems like i'm replacing my smartphone addiction with my laptop now. What can i do about this? I can't stop using my laptop as i obviously need it for basic stuff and work.

"I should've been a statistic, but decided to go against all odds instead. What if?" - David Goggins.

3 minutes ago, Shiva99 said:

I got rid of my smartphone and bought a dumbphone because i was addicted to it like crazy. It helps a lot, especially since i'm almost never using my dumbphone when i'm out and about. The problem now is that whenever i'm at home, i use my laptop way more than i used to. It seems like i'm replacing my smartphone addiction with my laptop now. What can i do about this? I can't stop using my laptop as i obviously need it for basic stuff and work.

This reminds me of my friends who decide to quit smoking weed by throwing it out, or just 'once they finish their supply'. In my country weed is legal and you can buy it at any time. So, it's time to change.

I love distraction free technology which is why I use my remarkable for journaling and contemplation 

Changing the technology you use is important but you need to change your internal operating system and that is only going to happen through emotional labour. I am working on this. I just quit smoking weed, and now I breaking free of my distraction addiction. 

I would recommend the fabulous app, but you don't have a smart phone.

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Treat the source of all addiction.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

The addiction isn’t in the activity itself. It’s a routine ingrained in your mind, so that’s why just getting rid of the phone doesn’t solve it. Watch Leo’s video on how “awareness alone is curative”

4 minutes ago, blankisomeone said:

Watch Leo’s video on how “awareness alone is curative”

yes of course - best thing to do is treating online addiction with youtube videos - it’s the fastest and lessest stressful/laborious way to get away from your online device.

Smartphones, internet, etc seems to be really addictive and is really common that people get distracted by these. As good as my spiritual practice is and as much discipline as I have, I get sucked into this from time to time. Usually when I'm feeling a little off, uncertain, or in self pity. I find myself checking dumb news sites or things like that on my phone. In the past I've had a phone box where I would put it in there. Or just turn it off. But like you said, same thing with a computer. It's there to be distracted by. Tough to find an optimal use for sure. And where it's makes my life better. Often times checking the internet, watching videos, etc makes me feel dirty after. It can be a dirty type of entertainment that drains me a little of life. Problem is at the same time it can be a great resource. Hard to find the sweet spot I guess

3 hours ago, mememe said:

yes of course - best thing to do is treating online addiction with youtube videos - it’s the fastest and lessest stressful/laborious way to get away from your online device.

Fuck off. It’s different, and you know it. Got any other good idea, smart ass? State it

Edited by blankisomeone

21 minutes ago, blankisomeone said:

Fuck off. It’s different, and you know it

no it’s not different - and addicts use to get aggressive over stuff like that.

so maybe a bit of self reflection? or you can also tune in to the self forgiveness thread. it’s usually those who talk about forgiveness who need it the most - like catholic church.

blank was someone - i might even have told you to better leave when you started to write here. might remember.

ofc it’s never like this - with alcohol, drugs, sex, food, power, special emotional cicks.

Edited by mememe

6 hours ago, blankisomeone said:

Got any other good idea, smart ass? State it

there are actually programms and clinics against gaming/online addiction - if it’s severe.

and many ways how to overcome addictions in general.

a cold turkey approach like with heroin would be probably one. although it might not be enough - might be it’s more severe. you have to read studies about it if you fancy to find out. 

when i first heard cigarettes are equally addictive to cocain i was a bit surprised.

Edited by mememe