Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flowerfaeiry

Mouth Taping

5 posts in this topic

Came across this idea to help you not breath through your mouth at night. Just put a piece of gentle medical tape over your mouth before bed. It's already been helping my nasal passages immensely as well as my quality of sleep after just a few times. 

https://www.dentaly.org/us/oral-health/mouth-taping/

"You Create Magic" 

I tried this a few times and yeah, it can be a relatively good solution, however it is only temporary.

What did the trick for me was learning proper tongue posture through doing several articulation and speech exercises for months. Now my tongue rests in its natural place (which is the roof of the mouth) even when I'm asleep, therefore breathing through my mouth is physically impossible.

There are lots of videos of this method on YT (called mewing), but that didn't work for me. I actually paid for a whole course designed to resolve this issue, but it was so worth it.

Yes it's a good idea. Or yes prime your brain to know where your tongue should be resting during the day.

Explained in this video

And lookout for lip incompetence, another area to improve on which can help with proper breathing.

There is also this thread with more information.

Great advice. I came across this in the Oxygen Advantage book the first time. Evidently, it is helpful for people who suffer from nocturnal asthma. I did that a couple of times in the past when I still had asthma and it was somewhat helpful but I'd often wake up kinda suffocating because my nose would often get clogged at night

Rule number one make sure your nose is not blocked :D 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

On 21/07/2021 at 10:17 AM, Michael569 said:

Great advice. I came across this in the Oxygen Advantage book the first time. Evidently

Same! It feels good when I wake up after mouth taping. 

I wouldn't know how true everything in the book is, but I'm inclined to say I can't make things worse, and nose breathing is perhaps the way to go. Especially when you consider the fact that tribes people supposedly nose breathe 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.