Droo_

How do you discover what you are passionate about?

17 posts in this topic

I just graduated high school about a month ago and I am slightly nervous about the future because I do not know what I want my life purpose to be. I'd rather die than work at a regular job for the rest of my life. I also do not know what I am passionate about and I think this is an essential part of having a life purpose. I really want something to work towards but I do not know what that thing is. If you are someone who was once in a similar situation what did you do to create a passionate life?

55 minutes ago, Strangeloop said:

Buy Leo's life purpose course

And do it at your own pace, don't rush. It may take you a year or more to come up with something solid

One can be passionate about more than one thing. This can make it difficult to choose. 
However, things that you enjoy doing may be of similar nature and one may be able to make a career out of those activities.

consciously notice the activities you are gravitating towards and listen to what’s calling you. Paying special attention to the subconscious mind can reveal what you desire. 

it’s imperative that you stay free from societies bias. The Concern of how one is viewed in the eyes of the society can skew thinking and make it difficult to own your passion.

Non dual thinking can help in the discovery of passion. Know that you are the Omni potent awareness which is dreaming this story. There is nothing and no one other than you. 

Now, you do you. 

Posted (edited)

I followed my bliss. I made mistakes. I pushed myself through my fears. I didn't give up.

1. faced my fear of open mics

2. I applied for things I was scared I woudn't get

3. I made my first album

4. I realized that what got me there, wouldn't get me there so I made changes and studied personal development

5. I got kicked around a lot

6. I kept searching

7. I played festivals, put on showcases for artists, made music videos, applied for grants

8. I bit the bullet of deliberate practice

9. I chose to love myself 

10. I used to literally sprint home from work everyday so I could go into the studio to write songs, practice scales, learn theory, do meditation, study, plan my week... I fought everyday to make the most of what little free time I had.

I just worked my fucking ass off and I don't stop. I have so many internal obstacles the whole time but I just keep going. 

I am creating a powerful life for myself and nothing will stop me.

I just keep embodying this radical self love and hunger for more, and I enjoy the process and the ups and downs of life. It's a radical journey!

Edited by Thought Art

"Now here's the Sun and it's alright, Now here's the Moon and It's alright..But every-time you close your eyes... Lies" -Arcade Fire Rebellion

Personal Growth Vlog - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzVkdPNRrNT7SN1aoco2MdA

Immerse yourself in experimentation. Experiment with what your creativity loves. You'll figure it out.

Posted (edited)

Contemplate : 

.What kind of positive impact I want to have on mankind ?

.What great things I am willing to offer to mankind ? (It has to be non material like offering high quality music ,high quality theories ,amazing art etc.)

Also try to see things holistically like seeing a thing having  interconnections in itself (resulting in a world of itself) and also how it is  interconnected with other things (like how one context connects with other context to influence situations , processes in life ,world etc. )

I was in the same situation in my 7th class . Gradually as I continued studying I became interested in biological aspect of Science. Then I took Bio science stream for my 11th and 12th class with an optional subject as biotechnology which fascinated me . I considered it then and now as advanced biology .But still I didn't had a life purpose then.I recall that I became temporarily depressed due to a heartbreak ,I watched one of Leo's video on depression and in that video he mentioned to have a life purpose as I thought about that topic and contemplated the above questions my life purpose became concrete(also it took a little time ). As I completed my school ( after my 12th class ) I was improving my marks during a drop of one year (to prepare for entrances ) then I went to university to enroll in my favourite course biotechnology.And now I am enjoying it.

All the best for life ahead .

Edited by Rishabh R
Forgot to include lines

You begin to feel the heat arise inside you

The absolute truth of thought dwells in it's own absence.

Life is a matrix of following your passion, leveraging your natural abilities, and putting bread on the table. In the luckiest of circumstances, there is a perfect confluence of all three, with no difficult choices to be made, but usually it is about finding the right balance.

By all means, pursue your passion. But also be realistic. I could be the most passionate basketball player on the planet, but I will never make the NBA.

Something that helped me, as I was considering a career change that aligns more closely with my passion:

Posted (edited)

@Droo_ Pay closer attention to what interests or excites you. What do find yourself often researching or exploring? Sometimes looking back at your interests as a child can give you insight. You also have to try or expose yourself to new things. Sometimes you may have an interest in something, but you won't know it till you explore it a bit. 

Edited by Matthew85

Do stuff.  Create stuff.

Explore. 

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

I'm a highschool graduate too and i'm in the same posish 

@Droo_ and @Samy28 Not to sound redundant, but since you are just entering adulthood, the best things you can do right now is to embrace a growth mindset and try new things so you can get to know yourself as an adult. You know who you were as a kid, but you're probably going to be a very different adult since you are on a forum that explores self-actualization. That's great. I don't know how you were as kids, but if you do this now at such a young age you are going to be well ahead of your peers in 10 years.

Posted (edited)

@Nobody_Here I know I am so grateful that I found his channel I got so lucky. I just watched the "life unfolds in chapters & phases" episode and it helped me reframe the phase I am in as a good thing, not a bad thing. I'm currently in the first phase. 

Edited by Droo_

@Droo_ I’m turning 40 this fall and can only wonder what I could have done with this material at 17 or 18 years old. Your generation is very fortunate in this respect. However, with the problems the world is facing, Gen Z will need to use every edge they have on previous generations to stop civilization’s decline and possible future collapse. (No pressure 😉.)

What I have learned is that personal development is the way to go. I don’t worry about my “life purpose” too much anymore because life is always changing. Life has a tendency of giving you the answer to the questions you seek. But if you want to take a personal development course such as Leo’s course, it couldn’t hurt as Leo’s stuff is high quality.

I would just follow my gut and look at the clues life gives you. What is your life purpose? What have you been a front seat to? Was a family member an addict? Maybe part of it is helping family members cope with a relative’s addiction. Do you love math but have struggled to pay for a $100 graphing calculator required for class? Maybe part of of your purpose is teaching math to disadvantaged children who don’t have access to calculators. These are just examples, but you see what I mean. 

Look at the clues life gives you as puzzle pieces you find in your daily life. Put together the puzzle as you “discover” more pieces. Some people finish their puzzle earlier than others. Some people never find all the pieces. The thing to keep in mind is that you are looking. Keep looking. Then help others look for their pieces. Everyone has their own piece of the grand puzzle, but life is about putting the pieces together.