Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Husseinisdoingfine

Iceland: overwhelming success of 4 day work week

12 posts in this topic

Nice!  Would be awesome in so many ways to have another day off.  Thanks for sharing.

I think this, as well as, Scandinavian Social Democracies are great images of where Capitalism is headed towards. 

I wouldn’t say Scandinavia is completely on the cutting edge of Capitalism, if I had to peg, let’s say, Denmark, somewhere than I would do it at ORANGE/green (the core still being Orange). Still a lot to work to do.

But the Capitalism of the future will have much greater worker representation, and we will work much less hours, and even less days as seen in the original post.

لا إله إلا الله، وليو رسول الله

I'm excited about those trends. They stepped away from the 40h work week over here some time ago. I think 38h is a full time occupation now. It will go down even more in January. I don't know anyone amongst my friends who is working full time either, not even on those terms. 20-30h/week is pretty normal amongst the younger generations. And I have to say, the relaxation, contentment and creativity this affords people is amazing to see.

My website: The Inward Morning

Dei nostri templum terrarum orbus est

17 hours ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

I think this, as well as, Scandinavian Social Democracies are great images of where Capitalism is headed towards. 

I wouldn’t say Scandinavia is completely on the cutting edge of Capitalism, if I had to peg, let’s say, Denmark, somewhere than I would do it at ORANGE/green (the core still being Orange). Still a lot to work to do.

Interesting thoughts. How come you make this analyzis. Where do you live?

As a Swedie myself I would peg Sweden's center of gravity as very stage green with a lot of unitegrated orange.

"Sometimes when it's dark - we have to be the light in our own tunnel"

Posted (edited)

I really wish forced overtime wasn't a thing. I'd be so happy if I just worked my 42 hours a week, with the 100% knowledge that I'd never have to work an hour outside that planned schedule. That level of predictability would lead to incredible peace of mind for me.

I prefer a more minimalist life with less consumerism, but there's always this drive by the system to work and consume, work and consume. I'd rather leave a low carbon footprint, and put in just enough work to get by. The problem is this creates labor shortages, affects the supply chain, and raises the price of goods. We haven't developed the robotic technology yet to completely replace the need for human labor. It's quite a pickle.  The boomers see the young crowd not wanting to put in 60 hours a week for 15 years and shake their head with disapproval. Oh well.  At our plant the machines are specialized so if we don't cover absences, the machine can sit down, and there's a labor shortage. It sucks. It's good to see the young people push back against wage slavery though. It's a balancing act.

Edited by sholomar

Love this. Productivity has a enormous social cost that shows up in other part of society , which end up costing society. 

1 hour ago, ArcticGong said:

Love this. Productivity has a enormous social cost that shows up in other part of society , which end up costing society. 

Actually Productivity increases when workers are given more time off. The most overworked countries in the G7 are the least productive (Japan and South Korea).

Think about how this applies in your own personal life.

لا إله إلا الله، وليو رسول الله

@Husseinisdoingfine

2 hours ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

Actually Productivity increases when workers are given more time off. The most overworked countries in the G7 are the least productive (Japan and South Korea).

Think about how this applies in your own personal life.

I agree. What the point of having an automated society and still working 40 h plus.

I work a four-day workweek for my employer. It's still 40 hours a week, though, which hurts my body if I don't take a break in the middle of the day. I also help run a non-profit while at work (I have an arrangement with my employer), so I often work 11-12 hour days. Sitting down for 10+ hours a day staring at a computer is not fun and is an ergonomic nightmare. 

It would be more efficient for everyone if we worked a 36-hour workweek (9 hours a day, 4 days a week) and get paid the same. We would probably get the same amount of work done, as we could take a lunch or breaks if we pleased.