Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ivankiss

Music: Discovering 'My Sound'

63 posts in this topic

I did it. I fucking did it.

I captured God in one single riff.

Thank you so much for this gift. I feel blessed.

Well this has all the makings of a quite monumental let-down, Ivan, but I'm all ears! xD 

Oh and don't go doing anything silly like making me wait a week to hear it, you've got 24 hours or I'm sending the Feds round for a quiet chat!

'When you look outside yourself for something to make you feel complete, you never get to know the fullness of your essential nature.' - Amoda Maa Jeevan

@RickyFitts A week?! You think a true masterpiece can be born within a few days?!

Try at least a month or two haha! 

Jk.

Main reason is; this little laptop that I bought is not capable of handling such a massive project. I'm only writing now. Recording sessions will begin once I buy a more serious computer.

@ivankissRecord this killer riff on your phone and link it up, I want to know what God sounds like!* Just kidding, bro, just kidding xD 

*Actually I already know, He sounds like David Gilmour playing a Strat.

'When you look outside yourself for something to make you feel complete, you never get to know the fullness of your essential nature.' - Amoda Maa Jeevan

@RickyFitts It's very tempting, trust me. But it's too good to be shared prematurely :D

My preciousss!

1_j45yyFhkoYCUqP9DwhKMJg.jpeg

@ivankiss Yep, that about sums it up! ?????

First track is coming together real nice. I've got great ideas for sections, but I need to pay extra attention to structure, flow, direction.

Sometimes I can get carried away and end up writing a 17 minutes long song lol. And while there's nothing wrong with that, I don't want to go down that road this time around, because I'd like my new music to be somewhat easier for the average listener to take in. Most people's attention span is nowhere near there yet. They can barely listen through a 3 minutes long piece. 

I also want to avoid the usual 'intro->verse->chorus->verse->bridge->chorus-outro' structure. It's way too boring and predictable. How I will go about that, without completely losing the sense of there being a structure, is a question-mark. Kind of a challenge. 

I want my music to be a free-flowing experience. But not so free-flowing that it has no tail, no torso and no head. I'm looking for that perfect balance between organized and well-structured, and free and unpredictable.

I also want my music to be (somewhat) radio-friendly. It has to be new and unique, but not so alien and out there that nobody knows what the hell they just heard.

It's challenging to place all these boxes within the boxes, and still stay true to my authentic,inner creative spark. But it can be done. I've done it before. I've seen others do it, too.

I will grow a lot with this project, I can already tell.

But...

I've been thinking about another thing... for quite some time now.

While I was taking a break from the whole modern prog-rock world, and I've been rocking the acoustic, I started developing a different type of sound and style of expression. Very nice and straightforward, very emotional. And no mathematics lol. Basically, the complete opposite of what I'm used to doing.

There is little to no coldly calculated precision involved. It's as airy and floaty and simple as it gets. It also highlights my vocals. That's kinda the whole point of it.

So what I've been thinking of, is starting a TikTok and YouTube channel, and start releasing these short, 1 to 3 minutes improvisations, or, channellings, and in that way satisfy that part of my soul, too.

It should work great, since my first and main project is kinda a slow-moving thing, that requires an enormous amount of time and effort, attention to detail, etc... and this acoustic stuff would be all spontaneous and effortless. I'm thinking of releasing those mini tracks/improvisations on a daily basis. Maybe every third day.

Hmm...

Hm, hm, hmm...

Resonance is high. I know I've got it all in me. The skill, the passion, the vision, the will... but turns out, that's not enough. You need something more to really 'make it'. Unless you wanna sell your soul to the mainstream, of course. I've been skillfully avoiding that trap since I got into this music biz lol.

What you need is...uhm...you need...the thing that is needed...

Is a miracle.

You need God.

Edited by ivankiss

The least original song I made, False Theory , recieved the most attention from people.

It's basically djent 101. But I still love it.

1 hour ago, ivankiss said:

The least original song I made, False Theory , recieved the most attention from people.

Wow dude, you're seriously talented :o B|

@ivankiss Much love to you too, my friend :) 

What's the difference between a pizza and a musician?

A pizza can feed a family of four. </3

Haha! That's enough of dickin' around.

Time to write some music.

Holy motherfuck fuck.

Magic is happening tonight.

The stuff that's coming through is breath-taking.

Tuned the whole thing down half step. It flows and resonates much nicer now, since the tempo is quite slow: 84bpm.

My tuning is:

F A# D# G# C# F# A# D#

It's just a bit darker and heavier. Perfect!

So far, I've got 3.21 minutes of material. Rock solid structure. I doubt I will be making any major changes to it. Just work on details and spark a bit more. The instruments are the following:

Classical/acoustic guitar, 8string overdrive guitar, lead, bass, percussion, church organ and a piano. I will be adding in some strings and trumpets towards the end, for the climax of the track. Maybe some choirs as well.

I imagine the song will be 6 to 7 minutes long.

Man... it's just so damn good. I fucking love this feel. When things truly click, you don't just get exactly what you wanted... you get much, much more. It's almost too good to take in. Or take any credit for it.

And that applies to all other areas of life, too - ime. It's just how creation works.

God is gracious.

I also really, really want (and need) an 8string classical guitar now. It would be a perfect addition to my sound.

I've got my eyes set on this beauty in particular. Just look at how gorgeous it is!

10269227_800.jpg

On 10/14/2021 at 0:28 PM, ivankiss said:

I think you will like my stuff aswell.

Just discovered tons of incredible ideas and even entire songs that I have completely dismissed and forgotten about. I cannot believe how good this stuff is. And I also cannot believe what a judgemental piece of shit I am so often towards myself. I seriously need to give myself a break. I'm being way too harsh. Perfectionism is one thing, and being an inconsiderate dick is another.

Yet I still cannot deny that all of that got me to where I'm at currently. And where I'm at, is fucking nice. Still quite some work left to do, but man, I made it far in all these years. I've been preparing for this my whole life.

I basically have two projects in mind.

One is what I'm currently working on. 8string, polyrhythms, syncopations, and whatnot. And the other one is far more simple, meditative and ethereal. I aim to release a single for that other project soon after I drop this first track.

So. Much. Goodness.