Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Javfly33

Lets Talk about FOMO

19 posts in this topic

Now that its been a couple of weeks on holidays and i have a much free mind, I have realized that i experience FOMO much of the time.

It materializes in the body as a Sort of anxiety that just Tells you "you are missing out! They are having such fun!".

This anxiety greatly greatly intensifies on weekends, when i know people are really going out there partying, socializing, and ...some even fucking ?

What to do with this FOMO? I have found that i get anxious to eliminate It, and that makes me itself more anxious and neurotic, which prevents me in the first time to do stuff that would make the FOMO go away (like socializing or going out clubbing)

Hmm. This ‘fear of missing out’ is not really my thing. I don’t usually consider myself part of a group or bound to do what others do, I generally just do my own thing with a large ‘don’t care’ sign on my door. 

“Nowhere is it writ that anthropoid apes should understand reality.” - Terence McKenna

I think you would not feel this way, if you planned fun activities for yourself. Then you will be having so much fun and not thinking about others, but instead on the good time you are having.

Oh man,FOMO is huge for me. I think that has been one of my biggest sufferings because I realize with every decision, loss, there are an infinite amount of things I wont be able to experience,

Gonna contemplate this later.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

49 minutes ago, Bodhitree said:

Hmm. This ‘fear of missing out’ is not really my thing. I don’t usually consider myself part of a group or bound to do what others do, I generally just do my own thing with a large ‘don’t care’ sign on my door. 

Thanks, that is inspiring! I hope one day i can become that 

30 minutes ago, Thought Art said:

Oh man,FOMO is huge for me. I think that has been one of my biggest sufferings because I realize with every decision, loss, there are an infinite amount of things I wont be able to experience,

Gonna contemplate this later.

THX for sharing, But if we are God doesnt that Mean that for example if we are at our room thats the whole universe and other people or cities or parties just doesnt exist?

49 minutes ago, Javfly33 said:

THX for sharing, But if we are God doesnt that Mean that for example if we are at our room thats the whole universe and other people or cities or parties just doesn't exist?

Yeah, this isn't something I understand. Does anything at all outside my direct experience exist? It seems very bazar and impractical to assume such things given the nature of reality as I see it.

I admit anything outside of my direct experience is imaginary. But, for survival it's important to live as if others exist. Because, for all I know they do... I still have to live in a socially acceptable way or there is consequences. 

You have your bubble of experience right? Well, believe it or not I have my own bubble of experience. But, I can't prove yours. This also doesn't negate the fear of missing out. I only have so much time, money, and years left in me! 

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

1 hour ago, Thought Art said:

Yeah, this isn't something I understand. Does anything at all outside my direct experience exist? It seems very bazar and impractical to assume such things given the nature of reality as I see it.

I admit anything outside of my direct experience is imaginary. But, for survival it's important to live as if others exist. Because, for all I know they do... I still have to live in a socially acceptable way or there is consequences. 

You have your bubble of experience right? Well, believe it or not I have my own bubble of experience. But, I can't prove yours. This also doesn't negate the fear of missing out. I only have so much time, money, and years left in me! 

No, I'm saying I'm God and you are imaginary. Stop tricking me into believing that material reality is real. 

Your bubble of experience does not exist because I'm imagining you, only my bubble exist.

Please confirm this. 

@Javfly33 detox yourself from social media platforms and just go about your day everyday in the place of where you would be on Instagram or WhatsApp do some other activity that involves you getting closer to your goals and when you take breaks during the day just meditate and on the weekends plan what hobbies you are going to do by yourself and fully be in the moment and you'd start to worry less as your enjoy urself more .#Too much of social media is depressing 

@TrueGod you read my mind man. I've been doing after my retreat 2 days off 1 day yes of social media and basically its like day and night. I feel so much joyful and relaxed when i Dont enter that shit every 10 fucking minutes .

Defintely Will do It more and increase the ratio of the days off, thank you for the advice man!

49 minutes ago, Javfly33 said:

No, I'm saying I'm God and you are imaginary. Stop tricking me into believing that material reality is real. 

Your bubble of experience does not exist because I'm imagining you, only my bubble exist.

Please confirm this. 

This bubble right here, I can guarantee you exists.

It just doesn't for you, because you are looking out your own eyes. At least, I imagine that.

Leo's exercise for realizing you are God video needs to be taken carefully.

What is the case for you... Is not the case for me.

I exist here, I talk here. The only reason I am alive is because I am apart of an economy of people just like you and me. 

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

@Thought Art But it has helped in my social anxiety and behaving more confident in social settings, the fact of realising that other people's minds don't exist. 

For example if I do something or if I talk to somebody and I cringe the fuck out when I remember the situation, then if I remind myself that the truth is what it is (direct experience), it instantly makes me feel good/relaxed because it makes me realize that I am imagining the whole situation (them thinking I'm weird or bad or whatever).

And fuck it, this is the truth. The truth is me walking towards somebody and THATS IT. 

The truth is not that person watching or thinking about me. That's an IDEA I have.

See? It helps. And is the truth.

Also if you feel jealous of somebody, and it turns out they don't exist, the whole jealous problem dissappears LOL

Focusing on the joy and being secure in the uniqueness of your own life makes FOMO looks like the thing it really is, a childish impulse.

When you are at true peace with yourself, participation seems like more of an enjoyable act of love, rather than an unconscious chore.

hrhrhtewgfegege

1 hour ago, Javfly33 said:

@Thought Art But it has helped in my social anxiety and behaving more confident in social settings, the fact of realising that other people's minds don't exist. 

For example if I do something or if I talk to somebody and I cringe the fuck out when I remember the situation, then if I remind myself that the truth is what it is (direct experience), it instantly makes me feel good/relaxed because it makes me realize that I am imagining the whole situation (them thinking I'm weird or bad or whatever).

And fuck it, this is the truth. The truth is me walking towards somebody and THATS IT. 

The truth is not that person watching or thinking about me. That's an IDEA I have.

See? It helps. And is the truth.

Well, It isn't actually the case for reality. Just for you.

◭"89"

9 hours ago, Thought Art said:

Well, It isn't actually the case for reality. Just for you.

Or maybe I'm right and you are just my imagination trying to make fall asleep to duality again. 

10 hours ago, Roy said:

Focusing on the joy and being secure in the uniqueness of your own life makes FOMO looks like the thing it really is, a childish impulse.

When you are at true peace with yourself, participation seems like more of an enjoyable act of love, rather than an unconscious chore.

???

I have same issue but it's more general "FOMO" towards missing experiencing life in it's entirety, any time I see someone else being alive, it reminds me that I'm living quiet desparation, and unpleasant bodily sensation swiftly appear ... signalling urgency 

It's simply the fear of death? 

I think it's healthy, the question is can you harness that fear, or just keep running away from it? 

On 14/07/2021 at 6:55 PM, Javfly33 said:

This anxiety greatly greatly intensifies on weekends, when i know people are really going out there partying, socializing, and ...some even fucking

Seems you should experience some of that stuff yourself, I sense unmet needs.

Obviously "FOMO is an unconscious reaction ect.. perhaps not healthy", but only useful comment is fulfill your needs and drop the FOMO,  just scratch the itch.  

Isn't this whole post just an avoidance of your probelm? That unmet needs exist, maybe you should feel into it and notice the emotions, but also act and drop the forum for a while. 

Requisite Variety. Solve this problem for good, then you never have to be on here feeling sad about it. I'm trying same thing been antisocial for years so I can relate to you.

Maybe me commenting right now is also just avoidance, Action José.

Edited by Striving for more

10 minutes ago, Striving for more said:

I have same issue but it's more general "FOMO" towards missing experiencing life in it's entirety, any time I see someone else being alive, it reminds me that I'm living quiet desparation, and unpleasant bodily sensation swiftly appear ... signalling urgency 

It's simply the fear of death? 

I think it's healthy, the question is can you harness that fear, or just keep running away from it? 

Seems you should experience some of that stuff yourself, I sense unmet needs.

Obviously "FOMO is an unconscious reaction ect.. perhaps not healthy", but only useful comment is fulfill your needs and drop the FOMO,  just scratch the itch.  

Isn't this whole post just an avoidance of your probelm? That unmet needs exist, maybe you should feel into it and notice the emotions, but also act and drop the forum for a while. 

Requisite Variety. Solve this problem for good, then you never have to be on here feeling sad about it. I'm trying same thing been antisocial for years so I can relate to you.

Maybe me commenting right now is also just avoidance, Action José.

Well I've Trying to eliminate it for years now and it just can't put myself to do it .

First when I was 18-19 years old I miss a lot of opportunities of going out. Then from 20-23 I was like deeply depressed or some shit like that.

From 23 to 25 I just have been tremendously anxious to go out in my city (lost nearly all friends from 18)

And now from 25 to 26 my plan was to do pick up but with covid and masks I had to call it off.

Honestly I've been Trying to successfully do pick up in my city for some time already and I can't put myself to do it. It's that what I particularly have FOMO with. Just for one fucking time feeling Part of the city, for one time having a drink with a girl of my city, not feel like a weirdo. It's so fucking simple yet I keep procrastinating. Seems like a curse 

1 hour ago, Striving for more said:

Then maybe change city? 

Oh yeah no problem, I live in much bigger city now. Im just in my natal city because I'm on vacation.

But I would love to "demonstrate myself" that here people are like anywhere else and all of that