melodydanielluna

I just bought the booklist and I'm so excited!

24 posts in this topic

@melodydanielluna @FlyingLotus cal newport is well schooled.so he has that bias.he is very material and hyper rational.although his book soo good they cant ignore and deep work are good  they are stage orange.stage orange view of succeas is problamatic.they focus on maximum result at the expense of well being.its a win/lose approach.you pay your mental health for success.stage green/yellow approch is to do it in a healthy way.go slow and work happy ,win/win etc.

@asifarahim Interesting.  I'm reading 'So Good They Can't Ignore You', and I'm about 3/4 of the way through.  Thus far Newport has discussed why following our passions doesn't always lead to happiness, and how career capital must be built before someone should take risks in their career.  I find this very interesting because there is a myth floating around that anyone can just 'start a YouTube channel' or 'write a book' and 'make money'.  And I think it's very interesting that Newport is criticizing this notion. 

Personally, I still think there's a happy medium between following your passion AND building career capital.  Like, what's the point in building career capital in something you don't like?  I am a hairdresser by day, and I don't hate the job.  But I also don't love it.  A lot of what we do goes against my value system.  I don't feel this is the great, meaningful work I could and should be doing.  I see myself building career capital in my hairdressing job though, because I am good at colour and people keep coming back to me, recommending their friends, etc.  I know if I pursue this I could have a 'good' career, with lots of money and freedom.  But I still feel its best to instead focus on building career capital in my writing, as this is in line with values and my passions.  And until I have built up enough career capital in writing to quit hairdressing, I have a comfortable enough job to pay the bills.

I write pieces that make the reader think.

www.melodydanielluna.com

@melodydanielluna dont try to quit ur job.i dropped out of college because i found self help intresting and i got fucked up.most countries have no system in place to reward genius in every field.if i follow my passion and work my 100% ,no matter how much effort i put in i would die in poverty here. So i am trying to aim a decent non toxic non cancerous 9-5 job and trying to do what i like at the free time i get after job..

@asifarahim I wouldn't quit my job until it was financially viable for myself to do so, which it definitely could be in time as there are tons of opportunities in writing, especially in the age of the internet :)

My day job is also ideal for quitting, because if I fail I can always return to it.  I am a hair stylist, so returning just means going to a new salon.  I live in the city, so there are plenty of salons to choose from.

I can also quit my job (as in quit at the salon I work out) and still do hair on my own terms if I need to.  If I quit, I would likely keep a small clientele and do hair one day a week, privately.

So I have lots of options with the choices I have made.  Hair dressing is the perfect day job if you are an artist.  Not only is it creative, but the hours are flexible!  We don't have benefits or pensions that we lose if we quit. 

I write pieces that make the reader think.

www.melodydanielluna.com