Lauritz Bewer

you can only study philosophy in tandem with physics or other "hard" science?

8 posts in this topic

before you get all crazy defensive xD....let me explain. 

its not my position. i talked with my dad about it yesterday evening. we had a glass of wine and talked. i hate talking about the past and all of this shallow shit. its always the same conversations. and when we came onto this topic, i sugested that philosophy might be really usefull and good for basically everyone to pursue for their life. and my dad just didnt get it. i can see that my dad is struggling to find an answer to this materialistic lifestyle but he just cant find a way out. im not braging, i have a lot of developement ahead of me, but it just amazes me that just the possibility of something else than this running around, doing chores even on the weekend...that my parents and most people are completely clueless that you can pursue understanding for its own sake and that it brings you joy. this is where the meat of life is. experiementation, Philosophy, Reading, Experience, Understanidng, LOVE. for nearly all of the people i know its just toxic relationships and consumption. 

my dad thought of real philosophy as something abstract and not worthwhile to pursue. 

Philosophy ( the love for wisdom) 

Philosophy is certainly important.

It is the love for truth and goodness.

A way of life.

They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions 

What people like your dad don’t understand is philosophy directly impacts how we experience and create life. Our beliefs, positions, emotions, etc., are driven by existential/metaphysical assumptions, aka are driven by our personal philosophy. 

True philosophy is the quest for truth and to know what the nature of reality is.

There is plenty of figures who knew the true nature of reality who was true philosophers. 

Etc, Shankara in india, plotinus in greece just to name two.

They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions 

7 hours ago, Lauritz Bewer said:

my dad thought of real philosophy as something abstract and not worthwhile to pursue. 

I fool sees wisdom as foolishness.

Philosophy is the pursuit of wisdom.

You have to be a philosopher to appreciate philosophy.

You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

8 hours ago, Lauritz Bewer said:

The people who discouraged me from studying philosophy never inspired me enough to listen to them.

To balance beauty and complexity so perfectly is a divine mystery.