How to be wise

Is microwaving without a lid bad?

20 posts in this topic

Many people have told me that I need to put a lid on something I’m microwaving, otherwise the radiation will somehow affect your food in a bad way. Is that true? 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

I also wanna know.

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Well the fact that food becomes hot is because radiation is affecting it wether there is a lid or not. 

Now is this bad? I dont know I dont use a microwave. 

Sailing on the ceiling 

lol I'm pretty sure microwaves are extremely safe to use. I'd be more worried about the kind of food you're putting IN it to be honest.

The lid is so shit doesn't get everywhere inside when you overcook stuff mate. xD

hrhrhtewgfegege

31 minutes ago, Roy said:

The lid is so shit doesn't get everywhere inside when you overcook stuff mate. xD

Can you imagine my stupidity when I placed eggs to boil in the microwave

I took a small bowl and added some water and placed eggs in the water. No lid and placed it in the microwave. 

After some time I heard a loud bang and I ran to the kitchen and saw that the  microwave door flung open and there was boiled egg splattered all over the place both inside and outside. 

It was like a mini bomb blast. 

Lesson learned the harder way. 

9_9

Edited by Preety_India

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

7 hours ago, Roy said:

lol I'm pretty sure microwaves are extremely safe to use. 

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I don't get the need for microwaves, haven't used one in probably 10 years. Why don't just use the stove? 

5 hours ago, peanutspathtotruth said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I don't get the need for microwaves, haven't used one in probably 10 years. Why don't just use the stove? 

They just heat up water molecules to make the food heat up. Sounds pretty safe. idk the science behind it but I don't think it causes cancer or anything or there would be a lot more fear of them. Then again we use plenty of other technology that makes us sick all the time so I guess it wouldn't matter.

Convenience I guess. It's easy to just have food on a dish and ready to be heated in less than 2 mins. Rather than putting a pan on the stove. Waiting 5+ minutes to cook, using olive oil/flipping so your meal doesn't get burned.

Those kind of time differences are meaningful to people when they are hungry af and want to eat NOW ^_^

hrhrhtewgfegege

16 minutes ago, Roy said:

idk the science behind it but I don't think it causes cancer or anything

Well, just because something doesn't cause cancer doesn't mean it's perfectly safe, there are a lot of other mechanisms to fuck our bodies up. (But yeah, I have no idea about microwaves, just a gut feeling).

18 minutes ago, Roy said:

or there would be a lot more fear of them.

That's not a logical conclusion at all haha, look at the world right now, people eating junk food all day and doing whatever they like without giving a fuck, not even aware of what it means although the research is all out there - or despite the awareness they still don't care.

19 minutes ago, Roy said:

Then again we use plenty of other technology that makes us sick all the time so I guess it wouldn't matter.

That's a bit of an easy way out, no? While we're at it, let's eat sugar all day because it doesn't matter in the scheme of all these sick-making technologies :D 

21 minutes ago, Roy said:

Convenience I guess. It's easy to just have food on a dish and ready to be heated in less than 2 mins. Rather than putting a pan on the stove. Waiting 5+ minutes to cook, using olive oil/flipping so your meal doesn't get burned.

Those kind of time differences are meaningful to people when they are hungry af and want to eat NOW ^_^

Yeah, I get that to be honest. Somehow I made it a habit to take quite a bit of time to cook every day, but not everyone wants to do that.

1 minute ago, peanutspathtotruth said:

That's a bit of an easy way out, no? While we're at it, let's eat sugar all day because it doesn't matter in the scheme of all these sick-making technologies :D 

I mean it matters to you or me, depending on what standards we want to have for our health.

To some people it sadly doesn't matter at all. Take a pack of cigarettes for example, and all the images, warnings, and labels on it. Most sane people would see that stuff and never pick it up, yet there are those who smoke a pack a day in spite of it.

I'm not excusing that behavior or peoples habits. Hell, if I had it MY way I would be a nutritional dictator for society and make overweight kids and adults legally be forced to do basic training for the army :D

But it just is what it is. One of the outcomes of "freedom" we can call it.

hrhrhtewgfegege

10 minutes ago, Roy said:

Take a pack of cigarettes for example, and all the images, warnings, and labels on it. Most sane people would see that stuff and never pick it up, yet there are those who smoke a pack a day in spite of it.

This is such a good symbol for what we're talking about :D 

10 minutes ago, Roy said:

Hell, if I had it MY way I would be a nutritional dictator for society and make overweight kids and adults legally be forced to do basic training for the army :D

I can see McDonalds dealing on the streets and being chased by your state intelligence health forces :ph34r:

like good dr Greger says, the biggest threat of owning a microwave is dropping it on your foot (testified by science) 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

1 hour ago, Michael569 said:

like good dr Greger says, the biggest threat of owning a microwave is dropping it on your foot (testified by science) 

That's good to know! I like Greger, he seems to know his shit. Always something new to learn :P 

@Michael569 Have you found anything about microwaves producing AGEs?

Been on the healing journey for 5 committed years: traumas, deep wounds, negative beliefs, emotional blockages, internal fragmentation, blocked chakras, tight muscles, deep tensions, dysfunctional relationship dynamics. --> Check out my posts for info on how to heal:

https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82579-what-causes-anhedonia-how-can-it-be-cured/?page=2#comment-1167003

4 minutes ago, Superfluo said:

Have you found anything about microwaves producing AGEs?

This is a great question. I think the formation starts at somewhere around 170 degrees celsius and in the more starchy types of foods but I haven't verified this to know for sure. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 Cool, thanks!

Been on the healing journey for 5 committed years: traumas, deep wounds, negative beliefs, emotional blockages, internal fragmentation, blocked chakras, tight muscles, deep tensions, dysfunctional relationship dynamics. --> Check out my posts for info on how to heal:

https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82579-what-causes-anhedonia-how-can-it-be-cured/?page=2#comment-1167003

Just wanted to let everyone know that the radiation a modern microwave gives off is not the Chernobyl, damage-your-DNA type. It's simply highly charged waves that excite the molecules in food and heat them up. In fact, they are relatively low in energy compared to an X-ray. 

They could give you a nasty burn if used without a closing door, but even then... not radiation how we think of it. It is just extreme particle excitation creating heat. 

https://www.cancer.net/blog/2021-03/can-using-microwave-cause-cancer

The reason I always have been given to using a lid is to prevent food stuck on the top of microwave to fall into your meal, for dirty workplace or school microwaves.

That being said there seems to be issues with microwaving plastics or using plastics to store anything that is hot since it may add BPAs into your food. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/can-you-microwave-plastic#safety

As long as you use a glass container you should be good.

On 7/18/2021 at 5:46 PM, OneHandClap said:

Just wanted to let everyone know that the radiation a modern microwave gives off is not the Chernobyl, damage-your-DNA type. It's simply highly charged waves that excite the molecules in food and heat them up. In fact, they are relatively low in energy compared to an X-ray. 

They could give you a nasty burn if used without a closing door, but even then... not radiation how we think of it. It is just extreme particle excitation creating heat. 

https://www.cancer.net/blog/2021-03/can-using-microwave-cause-cancer

i have an emf meter and whenever the microwave is on that thing blasts through the roof. i know people who just stare at their microwave while its heating their food and its definitely not something you want to be exposed to.  

your food might be stripped of all vitamins in the process - a used microwave can also be used as a box to close away your electronic devices if you don’t want to get distracted. it shields off the network connection and can be practical instead of turning all of the devices off with an app. it‘s faster with a physical barrier. but then again even if there are no eggs involved if you accidentally switch it on .. .. .. .. ..

Edited by mememe