DefinitelyNotARobot

Essential self-care products for men?

40 posts in this topic

I've made a promise to my body to take better care of it and I'd like to know if there are any self-care products that every man should have?

It can be general recommendations or specific products (keep in mind that I am vegan).

I've been neglecting this aspect of my life for a very long time, I'm basically starting from square one, so I'll need some help with that. I honestly don't even know where to begin. Do any of you guys have any advice for me?

Edited by DefinitelyNotARobot

beep boop

For body & hair as a guy all you need is single soap from natural ingredients. I use one for whole body + hair and haven't had problems for 2 years. That is unless you have long hair. Most natural soaps are vegan

Shave in shower with soap and  so you can cut on foams and aftershave. Use electric razor for facial hair (and other hair) and you won't have dry skin and won't need aftershave cream.

Natural deodorant is easy to get

For face cream coconut oil or jojoba but face creams are generally not necessary unless byou get a dry one. If you use it, don't apply them at Night

In terms of toothpaste i still believe it needs to have fluoride....but brand doesn't matter generally

For dental hygiene 1 brush, 1 interdental brush, use both twice daily. Gums will bleed first if you're not used to flossing but keep going and it'll stop. If you doubt the usefulness smell the brush after you pick the first row ?

Vegan perfume is easy to get but perfume is not necessary although it is nice

And that's about it. Everything else is either case-dependant or unecessary. 

Hope that helps

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

9 hours ago, Michael569 said:

unless you have long hair. 

What do you recommend for that? I've grown long hair for the first time in my life, been no poo for years now. At the moment, I use Aleppo soap followed by an acidic rinse (just cold water + apple vinegar or citric acid) ~ twice a week.

@peanutspathtotruth I have no idea tbh. Better ask some health-conscious ladies around here how they treat their hair naturally
 @flume @Flowerfaeiry @mandyjw  any tips for natural hair-care? 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

16 hours ago, Michael569 said:

In terms of toothpaste i still believe it needs to have fluoride

Charcoal toothpaste, brah.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Yeah I used that and it's awful. Kinda reminds me of when that lady in Dark Souls 3 calls you "the ashen one"  with all the black goo in my mouth. 

No seriously, if you have some good resources that show fluoride in toothpaste is not necessary pls share it, so far I am not convinced that this one source is bad for us. 

@Michael569 That's a neat list. A couple of questions though: Are there any ingredients that you should look for/avoid in natural soaps? I have no allergies so that's not a factor.

And shouldn't you apply the coconut oil/joboba before bed? Also which one would you personally recommend? (if there are any significant differences)

@Leo Gura The information I found online regarding fluoride seems to be very conflicting. I think you were talking about something similar in your holism video. The lack of clear information makes me a little unsure. What has your personal experience with fluoride free charcoal toothpastes been like? Are there any other factors you should take into consideration when shopping for fluoride free toothpaste? (Diet, ingredients besides charcoal etc)

@Husseinisdoingfine Thank you, but they sadly don't do shipping to the EU due to Covid-19. I'll look for alternatives that I can get my hands on. Any ingredients you'd recommend? "Volcanic clay" sounds rad as fuck!

beep boop

3 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

Yeah I used that and it's awful. Kinda reminds me of when that lady in Dark Souls 3 calls you "the ashen one"  with all the black goo in my mouth. 

No seriously, if you have some good resources that show fluoride in toothpaste is not necessary pls share it, so far I am not convinced that this one source is bad for us. 

I would not suggest going fluoride free unless you already have a very clean diet with very little sugar. I noticed a difference when I switched to fluoride free but eventually it seemed ok. Seems like have to do a better job brushing than before. I'm not sure it's really worth it for the amount you ingest either though but for now I'm fluoride free. 

5 hours ago, Michael569 said:

@flume @Flowerfaeiry @mandyjw  any tips for natural hair-care? 

I just go with the traditional approach of shampoo and conditioner but use natural brands which I've done forever. The regular chemical ones seriously mess with my scalp. The strictly natural ones make your hair look awful, and so I go in the middle there, I like Desert Essence right now, but they aren't really that natural. If you're already doing good with the no poo method I wouldn't change anything at all. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

I haven't used fluoride in years. When I do I notice I get all stupid. My teeth are fine. I use charcoal.

1. Spirallina (food)

2. Chlorella (food)

3. Ashwaganda (food)

4. Wheat Grass

Eat lots of greens, fruits, veggies, beans if you can. I also recommend natural soaps, charcoal soaps especially. 

Stop using axe, and highly chemical products in your house and switch to all natural products. 

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Husseinisdoingfine Ah I see, thank you!

@Thought Art That's interesting. So it's not really about the toothpaste as much as it is about the diet? I was planning on removing sugars and highly chemical foods from my diet anyways. I'll still have to do some research before I make a definite decision, but I appreciate the information.

beep boop

2 hours ago, mandyjw said:

I just go with the traditional approach of shampoo and conditioner but use natural brands which I've done forever. The regular chemical ones seriously mess with my scalp. The strictly natural ones make your hair look awful, and so I go in the middle there, I like Desert Essence right now, but they aren't really that natural. If you're already doing good with the no poo method I wouldn't change anything at all. 

Thank you! Yeah, no poo works for me and my hair seems to do quite well, I'll probably stick to it for now. But let's see what happens if my hair gets really long, it's not even shoulder height. 

@Husseinisdoingfine I agree about the washing, but is there really a need to put chemicals in your face for that? (it sounds like the products you mentioned are not 100% natural, correct me if I'm wrong). I feel like >90% of skin health comes from the inside = diet. I also just use aleppo soap for the face before bed, my skin always looks much better in the morning.

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

@Husseinisdoingfine Ah I see, thank you!

@Thought Art That's interesting. So it's not really about the toothpaste as much as it is about the diet? I was planning on removing sugars and highly chemical foods from my diet anyways. I'll still have to do some research before I make a definite decision, but I appreciate the information.

Well, Charcoal and other types are great for cleaning teeth. I would do research on that. The toothpaste does matter. Charcoal has lots of benefits. 

It's a mixture of diet and cleaning your teeth, drinking enough water etc... I don't think flouride is some magic ingredient. You know, it took marketers years to get people to even start brushing their teeth at all. 

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

I've recently discovered salt deodorant and it's amazing how well it works. The only negative thing is that the effect doesn't last that long if your shirt gets sweaty.

I feel like we're missing something though... what about natural (condom-friendly) lube? Almond oil works great for massage, but I haven't tried it for something beyond yet :P 

12 hours ago, Michael569 said:

No seriously, if you ha

ve some good resources that show fluoride in toothpaste is not necessary pls share it, so far I am not convinced that this one source is bad for us. 

13 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

you guys should check out Nano hydroxyapatite. supposed to get into small pores of your teeth and your body turns it into enamel. flouride substitute thats supposed to be natural. Must be nano at a certain size to be effective though, some "natural" brands have hydroxyapatite but at a size too large to get into your teeth. Most of the good effective brands have those artificial sweeteners, but at this point i value my teeth more than a little bit of aspartame. I use biorepair brand. i think its the brand with the official studies done if i recall.

although i am thinking i may just use the mouthwash. since the toothpaste your supposed to either not rinse, or rinse very gently to not wash out all the hydroxyapatite, but the mouthwash has the hydroxyapatite and you dont rinse.

23 hours ago, Michael569 said:

You just have to find a good brand. Some of them suck and a few are great. Try 5-10 different brands to find 1 good one.

I would not trust any sources on this matter.

It makes no logical sense why flouride is necessary. Teeth evolved without it.

I have not used flouride in 4+ years and have not had any teeth problems. Adding extra chemicals to the body is never a good idea unless there is compelling evidence otherwise. And standard tooth paste has a bunch of other junk it in beside flouride.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

22 minutes ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

@diamondpenguin Currently this

61tBgBD8u7L._SL1000_.jpg

6802003_nocolor_0.jpg?w=1200&h=1443&sfrm

Ok thanks, I'll have to go try it out and give it a go. Really looks like some healthy, high quality products. Good for you, for taking great care of yourself. 

Edited by diamondpenguin

Love life and your Health, INFJ Visionary