DefinitelyNotARobot

Essential self-care products for men?

40 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Adding extra chemicals to the body is never a good idea unless there is compelling evidence otherwise

See this is one of those where there is no evidence that we don't need it. The evidence for it being helpful is actually quite strong in dental research. 

I agree that we evolved without it but we never lived as long as we do now. It was rare to see older people with good teeth 100 years ago and they were not using toothpaste so I dunno. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

I would not trust any sources on this matter.

It makes no logical sense why flouride is necessary. Teeth evolved without it.

@Leo Gura, I agree with @Michael569. There is compelling evidence that it is effective and safe to use.

Green tea naturally has fluoride. Matcha green tea has the most. Considering green tea is literally one of the healthiest plants to consume, and tea-drinking being correlated with numerous health biomarkers, I do not see fluoride as being that toxic.. or else you would see green tea drinkers who actually consume fluoride (not use it to brush teeth) dropping dead like flies, instead you see the opposite.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Adding extra chemicals to the body is never a good idea

It is not about what chemicals you add, it is how much you absorb.

Green tea also naturally absorbs aluminum from the soil. However, If you just measured how much aluminum was in tea, it would seem as though a couple of cups could double aluminum intake for the day, but if you measure the level of aluminum in people’s bodies after they drink tea, it doesn’t go up. This suggests that the bioavailability of aluminum in tea is low, possibly because most of the extractable aluminum in brewed tea is strongly bound to large phytonutrients that are not easily absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract, so it just passes right through you without actually getting into your body. Probably more than 90% of the aluminum in tea is bound up.

For normal people who do not have kidney disease or other diseases, these elements do not pose serious health issues and some of the healthiest foods contain these chemicals completely naturally (not due to pollution) and have been consumed for thousands of years. Toothpaste in my eyes isn't any different in regards to Flouride.

@Michael569 MAybe when you eat healthy food low in carbs, you end up not needing fluoride for teeth.  It is all the junk that people eat that feeds bacteria in their mouths leading to decay. 

I am the only thing stopping myself from receiving infinite Love form Myself. I am Infinite Love for god sake.

On 7/8/2021 at 7:16 AM, Leo Gura said:

Charcoal toothpaste, brah.

Charcoal toothpaste shouldn't be used every day as it is too abrasive. 

"You Create Magic" 

On 7/8/2021 at 1:06 AM, peanutspathtotruth said:

What do you recommend for that? I've grown long hair for the first time in my life, been no poo for years now. At the moment, I use Aleppo soap followed by an acidic rinse (just cold water + apple vinegar or citric acid) ~ twice a week.

Are you happy with that routine? How is your hair? I recommend scalp massages especially if you are no poo. Your natural *scalp oils are always best. Work them through your scalp down to your roots. I feel like aleppo would leave a residue but apple cider could remove that. Not sure. I just do water washing couple times a week and occasionally clarify if needed. 

Edited by Flowerfaeiry

"You Create Magic" 

51 minutes ago, Flowerfaeiry said:

Are you happy with that routine? How is your hair

I'm totally new to having hair (xD), I was at 8-15mm for many years before that, so I don't really know, but I think my hair is healthy.

I recommend scalp massages especially if you are no poo.

Do you mean while showering or just like that whenever I feel like it? Just with my fingers? 

I feel like aleppo would leave a residue but apple cider could remove that. Not sure.

I think that's one of the reasons for the cider rinse at the end, I also thoroughly massage the scalp after the rinse to make sure all the cider is out of my hair. 

What do you mean by

clarify if needed. 

Edited by peanutspathtotruth

Aesop products. A bit on the pricey side but high quality and smell divine. 
vegan and cruelty free ? 

Edited by intotheblack

5 hours ago, Twega said:

There is compelling evidence that it is effective and safe to use.

There is no evidence of its safety that I would trust.

These scientists have no clue how sensitive the body is. The FDA will tell you that mercury is safe below the daily limit. But this is just bullshit. No amount of it is safe. It just escapes their ability to measure the damage.

Nobody knows what is safe for the body. There is no such evidence. Hence caution is required.

No researcher is measuring 20 years worth of daily flouride ingestion and how that affects the balance of your body.

There is no proof green tea is safe. Again, these are mostly myths and dogmas people blindly believe. For all you know green tea gives you cancer.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

We're all just experimental lab rats, except we have the extra layer of horror of being under the illusion that we are responsible for making good choices for ourselves without real clear guidelines to follow.

I say this ingest. I mean in jest. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@peanutspathtotruth clarify just means to remove oil and other buildup. Apple cider vinegar works as a clarifier as do some herbs and 'anti-residue' shampoos. 

And yea you can do scalp massages in the shower or dry hair. The idea is to bring your natural oils down through the rest if your hair. Scalp massages also help with dandruf reduction and increasing hair growth. 

If you're happy with how your hair feels then keep it up but I do feel like the aleppo a few times a week is not necessary and that the apple cider may not be able to remove all the residue it leaves. If your hair is greasy it could be its not regulated back to its 'natural' cleaning schedule. 

There's a lot of resources online and just experimenting with your own hair will give you a lot of info on what it needs. 

"You Create Magic" 

15 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Nobody knows what is safe for the body. There is no such evidence.

@Leo Gura, I'm afraid I have to disagree. There is such evidence. When it comes to the safety profile of psychedelics, you are very keen to say that they are safe (physically), but for some reason, you cannot say the same about Green fucking Tea or fluoride toothpaste?

No researcher is measuring 20 years worth of daily flouride ingestion and how that affects the balance of your body

How do you make such authoritative and conclusive statements when you have no idea what some researchers did or did not?

There is no proof green tea is safe. Again, these are mostly myths and dogmas people blindly believe

No, Leo, these are not simply myths. Green tea has literally been used on cancer patients, and it has shown in both in vitro studies and human clinical trials to:-

1. interfere with each of the stages of cancer formation: the initiation of the first cancer cell, promotion into a tumor, and then subsequent progression and spread
  2. Genoprotective effects
  3. Boost the DNA-repair enzyme in our body called OGG1 after consumption. (In fact, tea is so DNA-protective it can be used for sperm storage for fresh samples until they can be properly refrigerated.)
  4. It can cause cancer cells to commit suicide—apoptosis (programmed cell death)—while leaving normal cells alone.
  5. Reduce the risk of getting oral cancer.
  6. It can also increase the antioxidant power of our saliva and decrease the DNA damage within the inner cheek cells of smokers.
  7. Our good gut bacteria ferment tea compounds into compounds like 3,4DHPA, which appears to wipe out colon cancer cells, while leaving normal colon cells relatively intact in vitro.

Does tea prevent cancer? Evidence from laboratory and human intervention studies

Epidemiological evidence linking tea consumption to human health: a review

Effects of single-dose and regular intake of green tea (Camellia sinensis) on DNA damage, DNA repair, and heme oxygenase-1 expression in a randomized controlled human supplementation study

Preventive effects of drinking green tea on cancer and cardiovascular disease: epidemiological evidence for multiple targeting prevention.

If thousands of years of historical use, thousands of research studies (meta-analysis, clinical trials, cohort, etc.), as well many people's own personal and direct experience of regularly drinking tea and deriving benefits with no documented evidence of risk and NO RISK OF fluorosis, is not enough to convince you that drinking tea even if it has fluoride is healthy and safe and will not give you cancer....

Then, I mean no offense, but you are too ignorant on the subject of health and nutrition to give an opinion one way or another.

Your carnivore diet is more carcinogenic than fluoride or green tea, even if we remove all the Persistent organic pollutants, trans fat, polycyclic aromatic-hydrocarbons, and bovine hormones from the meat, which is impossible.

Your fixation on heavy metals, to the exclusion of the plethora of other, more common, and more detrimental chemicals that you consume without even batting an eye is also very counterproductive to your health goals.

It seems that when it comes to health, YOU (not only other people) have

mostly myths and dogmas people blindly believe

Can you see that? Because I clearly can.

Take this as constructive criticism.

Edited by Twega

Does anybody have any recommendations for natural hair styling products? I couldn't find any good options online. Most of the organic ones I've found contain bee wax.

beep boop

16 hours ago, Flowerfaeiry said:

@peanutspathtotruth clarify just means to remove oil and other buildup. Apple cider vinegar works as a clarifier as do some herbs and 'anti-residue' shampoos. 

And yea you can do scalp massages in the shower or dry hair. The idea is to bring your natural oils down through the rest if your hair. Scalp massages also help with dandruf reduction and increasing hair growth. 

If you're happy with how your hair feels then keep it up but I do feel like the aleppo a few times a week is not necessary and that the apple cider may not be able to remove all the residue it leaves. If your hair is greasy it could be its not regulated back to its 'natural' cleaning schedule. 

There's a lot of resources online and just experimenting with your own hair will give you a lot of info on what it needs. 

Thank you for your advice ??  This made something click for me and I started a bit of research. Found this amazing wiki in the no poo subreddit, instantly got a bristle brush and did all the work they recommended, my hair is already better than it ever was :D

On 7/9/2021 at 1:11 PM, Eren Eeager said:

@Michael569 MAybe when you eat healthy food low in carbs, you end up not needing fluoride for teeth.  It is all the junk that people eat that feeds bacteria in their mouths leading to decay. 

Spot on. When kids eat a nutritious diet they have naturally straight teeth and do not get cavities. Only people deficient in vitamins and minerals get cavities.

On 08/07/2021 at 9:48 PM, Waves said:

I've recently discovered salt deodorant and it's amazing how well it works. The only negative thing is that the effect doesn't last that long if your shirt gets sweaty.

I feel like we're missing something though... what about natural (condom-friendly) lube? Almond oil works great for massage, but I haven't tried it for something beyond yet :P 

Coconut oil!

Lots of it.

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

On 7/10/2021 at 6:25 AM, Twega said:

@Leo Gura, I'm afraid I have to disagree. There is such evidence. When it comes to the safety profile of psychedelics, you are very keen to say that they are safe (physically), but for some reason, you cannot say the same about Green fucking Tea or fluoride toothpaste?

How do you make such authoritative and conclusive statements when you have no idea what some researchers did or did not?

I didn't claim green tea is definitely bad for you. I was just trying to get you to question assumptions. I'm more coming from a place of not-knowing. In truth I have no clue what green tea does to the body.

The reason I say psychedelics are physically safe is because they have been demonized over the decades. Many people literally fear that a psychedelic causes brain damage, which is just a silly myth. So I over-correct for that stigma. Green tea has the opposite problem. People just automatically assume it's good, and that's not obvious.

No, Leo, these are not simply myths. Green tea has literally been used on cancer patients, and it has shown in both in vitro studies and human clinical trials to:-

1. interfere with each of the stages of cancer formation: the initiation of the first cancer cell, promotion into a tumor, and then subsequent progression and spread
  2. Genoprotective effects
  3. Boost the DNA-repair enzyme in our body called OGG1 after consumption. (In fact, tea is so DNA-protective it can be used for sperm storage for fresh samples until they can be properly refrigerated.)
  4. It can cause cancer cells to commit suicide—apoptosis (programmed cell death)—while leaving normal cells alone.
  5. Reduce the risk of getting oral cancer.
  6. It can also increase the antioxidant power of our saliva and decrease the DNA damage within the inner cheek cells of smokers.
  7. Our good gut bacteria ferment tea compounds into compounds like 3,4DHPA, which appears to wipe out colon cancer cells, while leaving normal colon cells relatively intact in vitro.

Does tea prevent cancer? Evidence from laboratory and human intervention studies

Epidemiological evidence linking tea consumption to human health: a review

Effects of single-dose and regular intake of green tea (Camellia sinensis) on DNA damage, DNA repair, and heme oxygenase-1 expression in a randomized controlled human supplementation study

Preventive effects of drinking green tea on cancer and cardiovascular disease: epidemiological evidence for multiple targeting prevention.

If thousands of years of historical use, thousands of research studies (meta-analysis, clinical trials, cohort, etc.), as well many people's own personal and direct experience of regularly drinking tea and deriving benefits with no documented evidence of risk and NO RISK OF fluorosis, is not enough to convince you that drinking tea even if it has fluoride is healthy and safe and will not give you cancer....

Yes, but none of those narrow studies show that there aren't also negative effects on other parts of one's health. Cancer is far from the only issue.

You will excuse me if I don't take an narrow "scientific" studies seriously. None of those studies are holistic.

Then, I mean no offense, but you are too ignorant on the subject of health and nutrition to give an opinion one way or another.

I was making a meta point that we are all deeply ignorant about how chemicals and foods affect the body and brain.

Your fixation on heavy metals, to the exclusion of the plethora of other, more common, and more detrimental chemicals that you consume without even batting an eye is also very counterproductive to your health goals.

I try to be careful with all kinds of chemicals, not just heavy metals.

When it comes to ingesting chemical I try to err on the side of caution. If a chemical can be avoided, it's best to avoid it. Fluoride is easily avoidable so I avoid it just to be safe.

I make an exception for psychedelics because they are so spiritually significant. In theory psychedelics could also cause cancer, but the difference is, if psychedelics cause me cancer, I will still be glad I took them. Which cannot be said for toothpaste or green tea.

If I was given to choice to never take 5-MeO-DMT in my life, or take it and live 20 years less. I would take it and not look back.

- - - - - -

As far as chemicals in meat goes, don't be so cocky about that. You have no clue how the pesticides in plants affect your body.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Green tea is not good....at least in my experience....I was climbing walls, I'm serious.

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

@flowboy I heard good things about it, but my main concern is that it seems to rip up latex. Have you had an issues?

Hasn't ripped up any latex just yet.

Or maybe it has, and I didn't blame the oil for it.

Not an everyday annoyance in my experience.

Edited by flowboy

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/