Striving for more

Da Vinci Lifestyle - Slow Sleep is boring & Inconvenient

12 posts in this topic

having 3 2-3 hour naps per day would really suit my personality & desired lifestyle. 

I don't want to sleep 8 hours - wake up, have my day then go to bed. That is boring & inconvenient for me. 

I need structured chaos.

RIght now I am drained, but I dont want to be. I want a quick nap & then I want to wake up & start using my brain, ideas, producitivty, creativity. I don't want to chill for 3 hours & then hope to fall asleep for 8 hours then wake up, then do my 2 hour routine ect... That sucks. 

I want to have a quick nap right now & then continue with my flow & train of thought. It gets lossed in 8 hour sleeps + morning routines. 

Is this lifestyle possible to implement without any detriment to health? 

I want to sleep 6-8 hours per day, but only in 2-3 hour intervals max. Say 3-4 naps per day. I like the feeling of being constantly on the go. This would enable a heavy work life // Night life lifestyle. Night life is kind of incompatible with 1 block of 8 hours sleep too. 

Edited by Striving for more

I saw a video of this guy trying this: 

But he seems to be a lil' bitch and he explains, in the end, with all of the excuses why it's not possible, after trying it for a short period of time. 

What you have to do (if you really desire it) is to try it out in the real world, there is no other answer really. Everyone is different and works in other ways than you are. You might want to check out your circadian rhythm, and then try to adjust it to your work hours, try out some variations and see what works and what's not. 

We can't really help with that you as we are not you (in a relative sense of course :P) 

lol Im actually scheduling to try this and make a yt video on my channel about it haha.

I love the idea of powernaps, and I dont see why it should not be beneficial if you sum total the same amount of sleep. 

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?

5 hours ago, 28 cm unbuffed said:

But he seems to be a lil' bitch and he explains, in the end, with all of the excuses why it's not possible, after trying it for a short period of time. 

Looolz he's the most un masculine youtuber & a disgrace to da vinci. 

3 hours ago, UDT said:

I love the idea of powernaps, and I dont see why it should not be beneficial if you sum total the same amount of sleep. 

Most of the greatest minds & creatives in history used power naps. 

It would take me a lot of rewiring & perseverance to pull this off, I really struggle to nap but perhaps it can be trained like instant muscle memory  

& yeah, the challenge be wid you sir! The quest comes with thee, the chosen one. 

Edited by Striving for more

On 7/5/2021 at 7:58 PM, Striving for more said:

having 3 2-3 hour naps per day would really suit my personality & desired lifestyle. 

I don't want to sleep 8 hours - wake up, have my day then go to bed. That is boring & inconvenient for me. 

I need structured chaos.

RIght now I am drained, but I dont want to be. I want a quick nap & then I want to wake up & start using my brain, ideas, producitivty, creativity. I don't want to chill for 3 hours & then hope to fall asleep for 8 hours then wake up, then do my 2 hour routine ect... That sucks. 

I want to have a quick nap right now & then continue with my flow & train of thought. It gets lossed in 8 hour sleeps + morning routines. 

I want to sleep 6-8 hours per day, but only in 2-3 hour intervals max. Say 3-4 naps per day. I like the feeling of being constantly on the go. This would enable a heavy work life // Night life lifestyle. Night life is kind of incompatible with 1 block of 8 hours sleep too. 

there is the legend that the guy who wrote wordpress did this 'sleep every 4h for 20 Minutes'-Routine. It worked, but he had to stop because his wife said she would leave if he would continued.

Maybe just a myth. But it points to a important thing: Expect to use a lot of energy to keep your habit going... If you are so chaotic (like you said, which I find charismatic by the way) you may have no problem to be off the habit for some days because of whatever... hey - so maybe this wouldn't be a problem. Give it a try, if you like.

However - I would recommend something more pragmatic: sleep at night for 6 hours + a nap a noon. It's proven by time (a lot of farmers had these habit to get up at 4am, but still have a life).

By the way I sleep for 7-9h at night and would like to sleep for 9h every night. I don't believe in 'night shift' work, be it a academic paper, learning or whatever. It's not the time there the magic happen to me. So why partition you sleep? Hell, I didn't even like to nap as a child when I went to kindergarten.

If you choose to do the experiment, please report how it went ;)

Edited by supremeyingyang

On 05/07/2021 at 6:58 PM, Striving for more said:

I like the feeling of being constantly on the go. This would enable a heavy work life // Night life lifestyle.

I would question why is it you feel that this sort of lifestyle is necessary. 

This is how people end up with chronic fatigue and burn-out, by not allowing themselves to slow down. Make sure you are not being influenced by the hustle culture.  The human body was never designed to be always on the go. We would always have periods of activity exchanged by longer periods of inactivity. Over tens of thousands of years out bodies have synced with the natural rhythm of the nature and the cycle of day/night. 

Sleep is not just marketing of bed and pillow making companies. You need those 5-6 cycles of REM and non-REM and I don't think you can get those final cycles with polyphasic sleep. These are the ones when BDNF is upregulated when your neurons are being repaired, memories stored, experiences processed and cells repaired. 

Granted you can pull that off for couple years and people do but what happens after 20 years of missing those crucial REM/non-REM waves? We have no idea, there is no long term data on the effects of polyphasic sleep. There are people who deliberately cut their sleep short to 5 hours. I've seen some of my American colleague boast over being able to pull of less sleep and they look aged, dry, lifeless and fatigued to the bone.  Over decades these people end up on chemotherapy or in ER with a crushing heart attack by the time they are 50 

Consider that people who work night shifts have higher rates of cancer and diabetes. This is not a coincidence. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Don't do this, please. Proper sleep is extremely benefitial and neccessary for your health. Any potential material success that you'll able to achieve using this method won't be worth it, I promise you.

Ever noticed how, everything that's natural... is the healthiest for humans? Natural as we have been doing it for millions of years? Notice how intermittent fasting is healthy? but why would abstaining from food be healthy? well because its natural to us. Notice how Coke is unhealthy, but why would coke be unhealthy? because its not natural, mother nature would never give us food that has no nutritional value and 10 grams of sugar per ml, you couldn't get a coke 1000 years prior of now, but yet even 1000 years ago you could get pasture raised eggs, Organic meat, NON-GMO. There is a reason why Organic food is healthy and its because we have been eating it for millions of years. So the more natural your life is... the healthier you are. Now you should be able to answer your own question, is sleeping in naps more natural than doing it all in one go?

As a sufferer of fibromyalgia, I will tell you to not underestimate the importance of deep sleep.

Deep sleep deprivation causes brain fog, memory and focus problems, and excess body toxin buildup that leads to inflammation and daily intense pain throughout the body.

Perhaps it is possible to enter deep sleep in polyphasic sleep, but it takes considerable practice to do so consistently. Be warned.

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

On 07/07/2021 at 0:40 PM, Michael569 said:

You need those 5-6 cycles of REM and non-REM and I don't think you can get those final cycles with polyphasic sleep.

Thanks... I know sleep is important but I thought I could make it with multiple sets of 2-3 hours. 

Clearly if you need long cycles then not. 

It would be way more evolutionarily convenient if sleep was like charging up a phone battery & you could just see "ohh I'm at 70%. let me just recharge to 100 with a 1 hour nap & then get going again". 

^ I wish humans were designed this way. 

@Striving for more don't take that as a limiting belief. The best experience is direct experience. Try it out for a month then come back and let us know what you've learned. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

On 05/07/2021 at 7:58 PM, Striving for more said:

There's no way to know that, because it's unethical to do long-term scientific studies on people, long enough to risk health damage. And if it's not because it's unethical, then it is because hardly anybody is interested in this, that the information simply doesn't exist.

Only one thing to do - find out for yourself.

Keep a log on how you feel. Stick to it at least a couple months to make sure you're fully adapted.

Use data - get an Oura ring, and log your stats. Track how your readiness score develops as you adapt.

We'd love to know! Please post back.

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/