RoerAmit

How to stop suppressing emotions

5 posts in this topic

I am dealing with allowing myself to feel a lot of deep pain I blocked myself from feeling since childhood.

Anyone suggestions about how to do it successfully and fully?

These suppressed emotions really fuck up my  life and I am waiting to feel back for a long time.

even just allowing is process that takes me few minutes. Any one who done it and can help me through this process?

What will I be if not suppressing emotions? I cant see the other side.

thanks

I appreciate you for helping :) 

@RoerAmit  try to journal your emotions. Act as though you're talking to yourself in your journals. This technique helped me to open up more fully 

Don't base your world on people's expectations and opinions of you 

You be you in every moment.

Release your emotions and consider it as a healing if any internal shadow is blocking it from this happening. It could be any thought or belief blocking it.

Focus entirely on yourself when you're thinking about your situations in life past or present, this helps emotions to arise to the surface.

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

@RoerAmit kinda depends on the emotion but just express it.

Sounds simple but it's something we've been conditioned not to do.

If you're sad, cry, if you're excited, jump for joy, if you're upset, scream. We have unique ways of expressing ourselves so play around with this a bit. Notice when you're feeling emotions and feel into how it wants to be expressed. 

Sometimes it may not be appropriate in the moment to express a particular emotion and thats ok. You can hold off and wait until you're alone to do so. Just give whatever came up space to come out. 

"You Create Magic" 

Right now, do you feel? 

If your answer is no, then notice you are expecting to feel something that you aren't currently feeling right now. This "imagined feeling" or this expectation, is not feeling, it is thought. You are imagining yourself having more colorful emotions and you are making a problem out of the fact that right now you can't find them. Those imagined feelings do not exist right now and focusing on the idea that "they are missing" is not going to make them appear.

But of course even right now you are still feeling, even though it might not be what you would expect or want to feel. You may feel numbness or other feelings that are less vibrant and emotional as what you are expecting. But notice what you are feeling is the direct result of those expectations. Your feelings are a direct indication of the quality of what you are thinking right now. Thinking you are blocked from feeling feels numb. 

This story about you who suppresses his feelings and who did that since childhood IS the suppression. This thought story is the distraction from feeling and it feels bad. If you actually allow yourself to feel those negative feelings, the thought that are causing them disappear. It's not possible to both think you cannot feel and feel at the same time and so the thought that was causing the bad feeling goes away, leaving you to feel whatever else you wanted to feel.

More practically speaking though, right now you can feel your breathing if you focus on it. If you sit down, close your eyes and focus entirely on the feeling your breath you will feel everything you want to feel. The monkey-mind may say that it's not able to because of any reason but it will always be a lie.

Edited by 4201

1 hour ago, 4201 said:

More practically speaking though, right now you can feel your breathing if you focus on it. If you sit down, close your eyes and focus entirely on the feeling your breath you will feel everything you want to feel. The monkey-mind may say that it's not able to because of any reason but it will always be a lie.

This is what's worked best for me personally, though journalling and expression are also excellent suggestions. The good thing about bringing attention to the breath is that doing so also brings attention into the body (it's the body that breathes, after all), and it's in the body, of course, that all our unresolved emotions and traumas are stored. That's not to say that it's necessarily easy, because there can be a lot of pain and discomfort in our bodies and it can be challenging to sit with that, but I've found in my own experience that it's definitely worth the effort.

You do need to make a consistent practice of it though, because it can be a very gradual process (particularly if you have a lot of stored trauma, because it can take a while for the body to start to soften and release those patterns of tension).

'When you look outside yourself for something to make you feel complete, you never get to know the fullness of your essential nature.' - Amoda Maa Jeevan