Arcangelo

Crashed my Chevy

12 posts in this topic

Hi, I crashed my new Chevy Cruze last Tuesday. I am very new to driving. 43% of drivers crash their car the first year they get their license, source: Google.

According to the other guy it was my fault. I was riding with an Uber passenger speeding at 60+ MPH (by his request BTW it was his first day at the job and he was running late BIG MISTAKE) on a 40 MPH road. I was going so fast that the thought of having someone behind me or next to me never entered my head, so I wasn't checking the rear view mirrors that much.

So the other guy attempted to pass me on a curve, on a double lane road and he says I invaded his lane. TBH IDK what happened I just felt the crash.

Mistake #1 We moved the cars.

So we moved the cars. I get out and ask him: -''What happened man?''

Kid: -''What do you mean what happened? You crashed my car!''

Arc: -''There's a camera on that light pole let's call the cops, check that camera and see who's fault it was''

Kid: ''You crashed my car, bla bla bla''

Arc: ''Let me call my friend and see what he recommends...''

There is a curfew in my country at 9pm. There is a $200 fine if they catch you. The accident happened at 10pm. I started to panic thinking they are gonna take the cars away. I called my best friend Don Mario and asked him:

Arc: -''Bro what should I do? he says he doesn't mind calling the cops , but I am pretty sure he is bluffing''

DM: -''Bro you both were speeding, and you both were driving during restricted hours. You should both just go home and pay for the repairs yourselves.''

Arc: ''Yo Kid, I talked to my buddy he says we should both just split.

Kid: ''No way man you crashed my car, you are not leaving until you resolve this problem!''

Arc: -''Well I guess I can pay you $180, but I only have $70 with me right now. You can take that and all my data.''

(Mistake #2) I let him take a picture of my ID

afterwards we exchanged phone #s

We kinda agree on $180. As we were leaving he sees the crashed side of his car and tells me that $180 is not gonna cut it. IDK what did I tell him. Prolly something like : -''Let's just talk on monday''

As we are leaving a traffic cop on a motorcycle drives by and makes signs for us to leave! He forgave us! He wasn't happy though. It was dramatic.

As I am driving home I get a text message from him saying it is $320 now.

Arc: ''Let's just talk on monday when I have some cash on me''

So monday comes (today) my car is already at the workshop and I text message the dude telling him that I am gonna give him $145 but that I need him to sign a paper saying that he exonerates me from any further responsibility. I also told him that I will pay him the extra $100 in weekly $10 payments. I know LOL right?

He declines my offer and tells me that now it is gonna cost $450 At this point I still want to avoid going to court and call my lawyer. She said she will call him explaining him his options but she was busy and didn't call him right away. 5 hours later I tell my lawyer not to call him. Those 5 hours gave me a lot to think about. Thoughts like: -''This fucking guy wants to scam me''

So I went from fear to anger and told my lawyer that he declined an incredibly good deal and that now there is no deal. If he wants he can sue and I might counter sue. But if i had to bet on it I say he is not going too. So after 6 hours he texts me

Kid: -''Yo friend where do we meet so you can pay me my money?''

Arc: -''Let the judge decide.''

Lessons learned:

1. Respect the speed limits

2. Respect the curfew

3. Do not move the cars

4. NEVER EVER take the blame.

Good luck actualizers, you will need it. It's a concrete jungle out there.

Peace

Arc

Edited by Arcangelo
This

14 hours ago, Arcangelo said:

43% of drivers crash their car the first year they get their license, source: Google.

What the fuck?! What definition of "crash"?

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Good first serious lesson in life.  

My advice to you as someone who has experienced many things in life.  

The world can be extraordinarily ruthless.  Prepare for it as if you are ready to go to war.  That advice could save your life. 

@Heart of Space Thanks, that's exactly what I am doing. I always try to take a scientific approach to things IDK why I thought driving was different. Confidence good, overconfidence bad.

@Carl-Richard

What are the chances of being in a crash the first year that you drive?

Nationwide, 43 percent of first-year drivers and 37 percent of second-year drivers are involved in car crashes.

4 hours ago, Arcangelo said:

What are the chances of being in a crash the first year that you drive?

Nationwide, 43 percent of first-year drivers and 37 percent of second-year drivers are involved in car crashes.

Only in America ?

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

I've had forward and rear facing dashcams for some time. Might consider that also. Don't take anyone at their word. I haven't captured a convenient cop worth posting yet... just some people who threw their fast food garbage out the window on the interstate.

Edited by sholomar

Hi. So the guy has been calling me and texting me and I didn't reply to anything.

Today he showed up at my house (my dad's house) with another kid. They are 18yo kids. He was calling my name: -''ARCANGELO!, ARCANGELO!...''

Then when he started yelling my dad's name I lost my cool, and went outside, and yell at him: -''I AM NOT PAYING YOU SHIT, YOU CAN SUE ME ALL YOU WANT!''

Then I called the cops. Had to call them 4 times, because as soon as they saw the cops they left and kept coming back. They actually said it: -''We are coming back.''

So when they came back I called the cops again and they were able to finally catch them. I told the cops that I wanna sue them for harassment. They threatened me and my dad with violence. I am not gonna put up with that shit at all. The cops told me exactly what to do and that's exactly what I am gonna do.

I was scared. Even though they are just a couple of gen Z kids I was scared. I was sweating profusely. My hands were trembling, I had difficulty thinking. I had difficulty talking to the police on the phone. The whole fight or flight response full blown.

They said: -''You are inside but your dad is outside we can beat him up when he comes.''

They are very stupid because I have 2 witnesses that are willing to go to court, and I have a video of them insulting me.

When they kept coming back I noticed my emotions going from fear to anger again. Fuck that kid!

Peace

What country are you in to have a 9pm curfew? That is ridiculously early! Also, typically, driving curfews don't apply if you going to or leaving work.

I'm in the United States and when you get your driver's license you learn that leaving the scene of an accident is considered a hit and run, for which you could face misdemeanor or felony charges, fines up to $5,000, and even potential jail time, depending on the seriousness of the accident.

So, even if the other driver leaves, you stay and call the police, always! If a police officer tries to make you leave the scene of an accident without writing up the accident you call the police department and report it, so that it's all documented. 

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

^Thanks.

1 hour ago, Ananta said:

What country are you in to have a 9pm curfew?

It's a latin american country. I rather not saying. I guess if you google Latin America and 9 pm driving curfew you can narrow it down.

1 hour ago, Ananta said:

That is ridiculously early!

It is.

6 hours ago, Arcangelo said:

going from fear to anger

Anger is just another form of fear but it has the opposite polarity. Fight or flight = Anger or fear

Curfew? That's absolutely insane. That would be completely unthinkable here in Sweden.

Not only that. Is at 9pm. It is retarded.