Adam101

Is meditation worth it when there's the prospect of taking psychedelics

30 posts in this topic

I don't think people here realize how much of "ego/being asleep" boils down to various depths and degrees of childhood trauma (0-18).

Psychedelics in combination with psychotherapy and meditation (concentration/focus/letting go exercises) is where it's at boys.

A strong long trip on shrooms or acid or mescaline can also crack your mind open, making your sober meditation practice 10x deeper the days afterwards. Build Momentum of that.

There is much talk about here how meditation needs to be 2-4 hours/day for you to get significant results spiritual-wise. Sure, if you don't do psychedelics.

Psychedelic trips can really deepen your meditation, meaning you can get closer to ego-death/God-levels-of consciousness in shorter amounts of time. Heck, 10 min is enough for me, although 20-30 min is the sweet spot for me. Mhm. Delicious silence ?

WATCH *THE WISDOM OF TRAUMA* !

Also: read/listen to Alan Watts; that's the spicy 4th ingredient besides psychedelics, meditation & therapy;)

Edited by WaveInTheOcean

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

11 hours ago, knakoo said:

Yes if the second guy is that commited, you are probably right, but then he is a pretty exceptional average guy ;)

I would guess OP is pretty exceptional given he’s interested in actualized.org, psychedelics, understanding reality, etc ?

7 hours ago, WaveInTheOcean said:

WATCH *THE WISDOM OF TRAUMA* !

Yes this documentary is very good. His interview with Tim Ferris is also great.

21 hours ago, Nahm said:

@Adam101

Meditation is letting everything go, namely, thinking. One can’t ‘stop the thoughts’, but when one focuses on feeling breathing from the stomach, thought activity settles, quiets, ceases. While meditating if you notice you’re giving attention to thoughts / thinking, simply return attention to feeling breathing from / in the stomach. That’s it. 

That is not true. That is an example of thought activity, which is let go in meditation, simply by focusing on breathing from the stomach. 

That is another example of thinking / a thought, which is let go in meditation. 

That is another great, really great example of thinking / thoughts, which are let go in meditation. 

Another great example of thinking which isn’t in meditation, which has literally absolutely nothing to do with meditation because it was let go, in meditation. 

That thought, that one… that is an outstanding, just an outstanding example of a thought which is not in meditation because it was let go in meditation. 

This is gold ahahah made me laugh. 

Sailing on the ceiling 

To me psychedelics without meditation is not worth it. Meditation is always worth it.

To really get to full depth of the psychedelic you need to be able to observe without judgement. 

Sailing on the ceiling 

Besides the spiritual effects, Meditation gives you the benefit of building a core habit once you’ve established meditating daily for a few weeks/months. This can help to stack habits to effortlessly transform life on a long-term basis.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm still of the opinion that really I need to have a psychedelic experience to know exactly how best to take my spiritual path. Psychedelics open the door and I assume, make you more motivated to meditate thereafter once you've had a taste of it. 

Someone mentioned trauma and I know I have underlying trauma from my past which I am aware of so perhaps psychedelics will help heal a lot of that and elevate my base line consciousness. Intellectually, I'm over my past but I know with trauma these things get lodged at the back of your subconscious.

Another point is when I hear about people who have taken psychedelics, so many report it being the most profound experience of their lives and that just makes me all the more interested to give it a go.

I will still be meditating, but if I'm honest, I have a lot of work and practising consistently for an hour everyday for instance is not something I'm motivated to do but with a psychedelic experience that might change. I know Leo talks a lot about putting in the work, which is fair enough, but then again, Leo's whole career revolves around personal development and spirituality so it's both his work and personal time that he engages with it but for the majority of people you've got the normal 9-5 job which is not that conducive to spiritual development!

For me, I like evening walks in nature with a dash of meditation along the way which is where I find my consciousness elevates.

And yes will be careful of the drug laws. The UK is so draconian when it comes to drugs - crazy to think that just picking a magic mushroom is a criminal offence that could land you in prison. Nuts 

Each tool or practice has it's own practice. They help and aid each other. 

1 5meodmt trip blows meditation out of the water for deep God experience.

But for day to day mindfulness and training your mind meditation is better.

They help eachother.

Become integral 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Meditation to build stability and continuity and aid integration, psychedelics to turbo-charge your practice occasionally - seems to be a pretty decent formula.