herghly

Stop consuming so much content

12 posts in this topic

For the longest time, I always listened to podcasts/audiobooks during long walks and gym sessions.  I thought what I was doing was great for my development. I got to listen to so many new ideas and perspectives. But it's only been recently I realized the problems with it.  When I was constantly taking in new content I had no space to think and contemplate.

Recently when I take long walks I've replaced audiobooks/podcasts with music and it's been amazing. I've been able to reflect more and think deeper about life.

I can't believe I did not realize this earlier! I'm sharing this in case anyone else needs to hear this . 

@herghly recently I have been overwhelmed by consuming content as well

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

@Preety_India I feel like it's a huge trap. You can also consume more content. And it's easy to get to the point where you're consuming so much content that you don't have any time to reflect!

I really thought listening to podcasts during my long walks was the greatest idea ever. But as I mentioned, I only realized recently that I think it's hindered my development.

@herghly do you think the problem is the volume of content that you consume or is it the shortage of time ?

What if you were given more time?

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

@Preety_India  I think it's both. With the convenience of wireless headphones and podcasts, it's easy to always be listening to content when you're outside.

It's a trap. Needs balance.

Edited by herghly

I stopped listening to my walkman while walking in the park.  Now, I practice mindfulness, focusing my attention on sights, sounds, my walking, practicing shifts of attention, etc.  The other thing I do is I talk to strangers.  I have found that while most people are in their heads or looking at their phones, there are always a few people that are aware and open for contact.  You can smile at them, stop and have a conversation.  You find aware people by doing this.  

Vincit omnia Veritas.

As someone who listens to a huge volume of podcasts, audiobooks, actualized.org content, etc, I actually completely agree with this.

You're not going to get nearly as much value out of any of these things if you don't take time to pause, reflect, and integrate them in to your life.

I would also say the same thing is true of reading Books as well. I question the Wisdom of finishing a dense book on any topic, and then just diving in to another dense book immediately, without allowing the mind time to integrate and synthesize new ideas and concepts.

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

Yes i have also seen that with consuming lot of content one after another there is craving for more but no integration of anything and no growth, also you cannot pinpoint with certanity on specfic ideas coz there are many vague ideas floating in mind.

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

Yep, it can so easily become just another unhealthy compulsion, a way to basically avoid ourselves. There can be tremendous value in familiarising oneself with various concepts and theories, but without practice it's meaningless.

'When you look outside yourself for something to make you feel complete, you never get to know the fullness of your essential nature.' - Amoda Maa Jeevan

The other thing is sometimes I wonder if the info doesn’t go in one ear and out the other? So, producing information or content can sometimes assist active rumination of content (e.g., draw a diagram of the info, record one’s self talking about content, or writing down whatever is on my mind). Although I’m not strong on intentional times of contemplation, I sometimes feel like simply dropping 20 minutes of consuming content gets replaced by absent-minded day dreaming and thinking the same thoughts over and over again.