Zion

How to Start.

10 posts in this topic

I have all the knowledge, but the experience is lacking more & more heavily with each day. What can I do to force myself to start something & form a habit? Or rather, how can I convince my subconscious that I'm comfortable with starting something? How can I trick myself into starting something that I currently subconsciously fear doing?

Let's cut through the vagueness - what is the habit which you're interested in starting?

@kinesin So many honestly. A great one would be meditation. Another one shadow work. Another, putting myself in social situations to better my social skills. The list goes on.. 

I understand that I perhaps have put too much on my plate, & that's the main issue. However, how do I narrow it down to one at a time? 

@Zion  Meditation is the foundational practice to basically everything, so I'd suggest starting with that for now, plus once you get more comfortable with it it'll greatly help your shadow work and everything else.

For 10 minutes per day, simply sit, close your eyes and bring your awareness to your breathing.  When you get distracted, take a moment to notice whatever distracted you, then bring your awareness back to the breath.  If you get bored or frustrated, take a moment to notice how the emotion feels in your body, then bring your awareness back to the breath.  After 2 weeks, put it up to 15 or 20 minutes.  When starting out, the only thing you're actually doing by keeping your attention on your breathing is developing focus and concentration.  Once you develop this to a point where you can stay with the breath for around 10 minutes straight without a single distraction, then you'll be ready to move onto other more varied meditation practices and shadow work if you choose to.

Plug your nose, and then start doing it, and once five minutes in, let go of your nose.

repeat each day

Edited by Bob Seeker

A Call to Live Differently: https://angeloderosa.com

Don't do anything at all your not serious about life if people have to push you to do things you love, wait another 5 years and then look back and regret  how you wasted time asking people when/how should I start instead of just starting.

@Zion Pick only the TOP, #1 THING that you want to work on the most and start there. 

1 hour ago, Zion said:

I have all the knowledge

Me too. Then I realized that knowledge without action is like knowing the physical/chemical properties of bubble gum without chewing it. ;) ...so now it's time to take ACTION ACTION ACTION and validate your knowledge.

1 hour ago, Zion said:

How do I narrow it down to one at a time? 

You make a 'definite decision' that you will work on X project for Y months. Commit on paper and tack it up where you will see it every day. Productivity books/seminars will help big-time if you can afford either. 

Right now I'm in a 6-month program with Jad T Jones, a seduction/productivity guru. Very knowledgable and wise teacher. Maybe some of his stuff will help. 

1 hour ago, Zion said:

I have all the knowledge, but the experience is lacking more & more heavily with each day. What can I do to force myself to start something & form a habit? Or rather, how can I convince my subconscious that I'm comfortable with starting something? How can I trick myself into starting something that I currently subconsciously fear doing?

Tricking and forcing yourself will get you nowhere. You will only fight against the resistance that you are building unnecessarily to the point that you can't take it anymore and quit. Or you persist and you become neurotic. This is the wrong mindset. 

You need to focus on creating what you want to create. You need to become inspired. You form a vision of what you want and you also look honestly at your current situation. Then you bridge the gap. You connect the 2 points. 

You can start in the area that you need change most badly. It could be your health or something else. If your health is not optimal i would start there. It's the foundation for everything else. Physical and psychological. 

It's better to focus on one area at a time but i understand the urge to want to do everything at once. I have a habit tracker app that i wrote every good behavior i could be doing. I just put a checkmark everyday on the things i do. 

You could learn about mini habits. It's a powerful idea that says to do every single day at least the absolute minimum of the habit you want to have. If you want to read you could read only one line from a book and that would be a win for the day. It's by far the best way to start habits. 

That said habits belong to the mindset of forcing yourself to do things. I let go of the idea of habits. I am not forcing anything. I may stay lazy and that's ok. I am looking for inspiration and to find the joy and meaning in the behavior because then no tricking and forcing myself will be needed. 

11 hours ago, Zion said:

how can I convince my subconscious that I'm comfortable with starting something?

Perhaps you are uncomfortable, do it anyway. It'll grow you.

11 hours ago, Zion said:

How can I trick myself into starting something that I currently subconsciously fear doing?

No tricks. Do what you fear most. In the long run it'll be worth it. Also, understand at a deep level there is nothing to fear. Your survival is assured. Ask yourself "Why am I afraid of this?", Inquire into your mind - you'll come up with interesting answers.

Anyway, don't rush things. Do it when you are ready. Remember that you have freedom and infinite possibilities. Do one thing at a time. You under no obligation to complete all the tasks you plan on doing. All WILL be completed for you are Eternity. 

Let go, relax and engage in activity when you feel like it.

:)

Greg

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

@Zion read tiny habits by bj fogg.everything u need to know about habit is in that book.it not the regular reward yourself bullshit book.it is very practical