Thetruthseeker

Letting go of Leo

14 posts in this topic

Leo has changed my life 

but as im building my YouTube channel, I realised I felt ‘bad’ ‘inadequate’ and ‘guilty’ by not mentioning @Leo Gura in my videos 

I’ve only got 25k subscribers but I want to talk about spiral dynamics on my channel, but I realise I need to mention leo, in order to not feel inferior. And to own what I uniquely have to offer 

I was afraid to mention Leo before knowing that I feel second best, but I need to mention him to release that issue 

I think Leo mentioned this before, that by mentioning other mentors, he used to feel insecure, but actually crediting others makes you more credible 

has anyone else battled this? 

Why would you have to mention Leo when talking about Spiral Dynamics?

@Tim R because his videos have been such a big influence … so I would feel like my hiding the truth if I didn’t mention him 

dude, why do you not mention him. Bro, you will look like a fucking boss. BTW, Leo isn't the guy who invented the model, it was claire graves.

So no worries.

Just credit other sources justly. It will only make you look cool. Only uncool people don't credit others.

What's your issue in crediting Leo exactly?  Why not credit him?  

What feels most in line with integrity for you?  Do that. Perhaps also ask why or why not and contemplate the basis of that feeling.

Go for integrity rather than people pleasing or being "cool".  

Do you want a piece of candy (pleasing others) or do you want power, integrity, and self-esteem (doing what you feel and know to be right)? 

I'm not saying do this or that.  

If you don't know what feels most in align with integrity for you, experiment.  See how you feel once you make a decision.  "Sometimes you gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette."  Or rather, sometimes one has to break integrity to discover what integrity is for them.  

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

Guess this was just an unresolved insecurity in me. Of feeling less credible by mentioning Leo when necessary 

but actually I should credit when I put out a video where Leo (or someone else) has influenced me. You’re right, then that actually makes one more credible 

thanks 

Feeling bad about not mentioning Leo is a thought about Leo not let gone.

If you would truly let Leo go, it wouldn't matter to you whether you'd mention him or not. From this position, you can freely act on what feels best to you.

By letting go, we can truly embrace our experience and fall in love with it. Falling in love and letting go is the same thing?! How counterintuitive.

Generally speaking, if you mention Leo, maybe also mention the primary source. The viewer might appreciate both primary- and secondary-source references.

You're probably talking about SD to guide people, whether it's to understand your other videos better or just to help them understand human development better.

If some people stumble to check Leo's videos for the reason you gave him credits, isn't that a good thing in the big picture? You know Leo's videos are valuable and so they can be for those others as well.

The insecurity is that you are afraid of people changing from your channel to Leo's, which shouldn't be a thread, if you're creating content that is offering unique value. If you're not, you might want to start directing the ship to that direction.

I don't know what kind of content you are creating, but talking about SD and being worried about competition, sounds alerting to me.

Honesty and authenticity > greed and competition in the long run.

@Snader I agree with you.

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

@Snader Yes I agree with you 

thanks! I do remember Leo saying he struggled feeling insecure crediting people at the beginning, so I guess I’m just at that part of the journey 

I do feel the temptation for additional credibility though, especially when you've done a lot of work around the subject yourself too.

It's a bitch and comes bite your ass later if given more than little finger :D

This is an excerpt from Matthew 22...

Teacher,” they said, “we know that You are honest and seek favor from no one. Indeed, You are impartial and teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. Is it lawful to pay taxes to Caesar or not? Should we pay them or not?”

But Jesus saw through their hypocrisy and said, “Why are you testing Me? Bring Me a denariusc to inspect.” So they brought it, and He asked them, “Whose image is this? And whose inscription?”

“Caesar’s,” they answered.

Then Jesus told them, “Give to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s.

@Thetruthseeker
Leo clearly and (for the most part) accurately explains the Spiral Dynamics theory in layman's terms. He also gives it his own twist.

But much of what he's done with SD doesn't belong to him – it's not his theory. A lot of SD isn't even original itself. The stages came from Graves' original research, for example.

You should always cite if it's not your work. If not, you're taking advantage of the people the work belongs to. Your audience could then lose trust in you.

If you're using one of Leo's original insights in your videos, you should cite him. But for the basic theory itself you should cite the SD resource you're using, whether it's Beck, Cowan, Tadarovic, or even Graves himself. 

I'd also say in passing that Leo leaves a lot out. If you want to really understand SD you have to go all the way back to Graves' original work.

I've noticed that when I get too attached to a teacher/coach (or a friend, girlfriend or family member for that matter) it's because I either don't realise my own potential, I have fears and limiting beliefs, or I have a skewed opinion of the person I'm attached to.

Edited by RossE

Founder of The Great Updraft: Articles, Courses + More

www.thegreatupraft.com

@Thetruthseeker Your intuition knows the answer already. Just listen to your throat (chakra), if it contracts as you speak it means you are speaking from an inauthentic place.

And please link your channel.

The road to God is paved with bliss.