DocWatts

First Ever Bill to Decriminalize All Drugs Introduced to US Congress

8 posts in this topic

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2021/6/15/22533396/democrats-congress-decriminalization-marijuana-drug-policy-reform-act

The Bill is known as the Drug Policy Reform act, and would Federally decriminalize personal possession of small amounts of all Drugs. It would also reclassify a bunch of substances as no longer a Schedule 1 Drug, opening the door for Legally sanctioned Trails for Medical and Health benefits. The Bill's overall goal is treat Drugs as a Public Health (rather than a Criminal) problem, and would more or less end the War on Drugs as it currently exists.

That said, obviously there's no way in Hell this is going to pass both the US House and Senate.

But the fact that a Bill like this is even being considered goes to show just how far the Overton window has shifted in favor of a more open minded and humane approach to Drug Policy. Something like this being openly discussed in the US Congress would have been unthinkable just 10 or 15 years ago.

Edited by DocWatts

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

39 minutes ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

Even in North Korea marijuana is legal.

To be fair, weed's pretty much legal in much if not most of the US by the point. 

More perturbing is that the US Incarcerates more people - both the total number and per capita - than any other country in the world. More even than China, an authoritarian State whose with roughly four times the population of the US.

Edited by DocWatts

52 minutes ago, DocWatts said:

To be fair, weed's pretty much legal in much if not most of the US by the point. 

More perturbing is that the US Incarcerates more people - both the total number and per capita - than any other country in the world. More even than China, an authoritarian State whose with roughly four times the population of the US.

Mind-blowing. The US has approx. 3% of the world population and 25% of the incarcerated mainly due to the for-profit nature of prisons in the US. The US is almost a perfect example of a dystopian, late-stage capitalist country. 

2 hours ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

Even in North Korea marijuana is legal.

Fake news. 

I heard that if they catch you with a spliff in north Korea you and your WHOLE family goes to jail like the WHOLE family: grandma, the aunts, the uncles, the cousins, everyone.

1 hour ago, Arcangelo said:

I heard that if they catch you with a spliff in north Korea you and your WHOLE family goes to jail like the WHOLE family: grandma, the aunts, the uncles, the cousins, everyone.

The North Korean State isn't really a government so much as it is a Hostage Situation involving 25 million people...

I know it has nothing to do with Biden, but it seems as though that election cycle did shift the Overton window slightly left, more politicians feel like they can speak their mind and really feel the people behind them, having said that a lot of what Biden promised progressives hasn’t been done and obviously Biden didn’t promise this but I could see a few states doing this, it seems that’s how things get to federal level in the U.S. usually it starts with the more progressive states leading the charge.