blackchair

Gabor Mate where is he on spiral dyinamics

10 posts in this topic

he just made movie  wisdom of trauma so is it worth watching? 

I'm very familiar with his work. I see him as high Green. I don't see many Yellow qualities, but he's certainly a highly evolved Green center of gravity. I enjoyed his new movie - definitely worth watching if you're interested in trauma, addiction, the failures of western medicine, etc.

Very solid and healthy Green, definitely some Yellow as well. 

One of his strengths is also one of his limitations: he sees the entire world through the lens of trauma. It's an important and super valid lens, but ultimately if it's the ONLY lens it becomes a distorted view of reality and limits other perspectives which could actually further inform the trauma topic and provide a more multi-perspectival approach. I'm not saying Gabor doesn't independently research these other lenses on his own, but when he speaks publicly, he almost exclusively speaks with trauma-tinted glasses on, which makes sense given it's his speciality, but again, has limitations as well. Someone with a center of gravity at Yellow would be more likely to bring in other dimensions and create a more complex map of reality. For example, Jamie Wheal is a neuroscientist but doesn't only talk about the world through that lens because he sees how limited that one viewpoint is in understanding the full portrait of humanity. 

just watched it, there's no wisdom for me here in my humble opinion, 

34 minutes ago, blackchair said:

just watched it, there's no wisdom for me here in my humble opinion, 

@blackchair I'm curious as a documentary filmmaker, do you care to elaborate about how you felt about the film and its content?

it's shot wonderfully I liked they mentioned Ayahuasca at the end but that's it, he didn't mention post traumatic growth at all, he didn't offer any "solutions", didn't go deeper for me. greenish vibe overall. I think it would be torture to "live" trauma as he does honestly all the time....

He yellow

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?