Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kray

Is it even worth pursuing enlightenment?

6 posts in this topic

As someone who is about to finish up college and start up his career, is it even worth pursuing spiritual enlightenment? Or would it be better if I focused on my career, and worry about a goal such as spiritual enlightenment for a later point in my life?  

@kray  In hinduism, life is generally split into 4 stages which are described in this screenshot

87fds89sfd78f9sd.jpg

In spiritual communities, forums etc, most people you'll find are those who had to skip straight to sannyasa often due to psychological troubles or other issues which stopped them from entering the previous stages.  Though some here might suggest you skip to sannyasa, if you are able to go through the preceding stages first you should do.  There's always time to pursue enlightenment later in life.

Enlightenment is the realization that there already is no you to decide, and no conflict. Meditation, letting go of resistance, tapping into joy and inspiration, being in the present moment makes choice effortless, or not a choice at all. There is no conflict between anything you want to do and the pure desire to do it. If there is a conflict, a doubt, a sense of "I have to make the right choice" then something is being looked for in the future, which is already here. That which is already here is glossed over and is the very guidance you seek. It is the fulfillment in the career and the fulfillment in the spiritual quest, here now, it is what is openly aware of this screen and the words on it.

A trick from personal experience, if you practice just saying "YES!" to everything, it sort of hijacks the weighty tendency to try to make the RIGHT choice, and your real feelings about anything in any given moment will come to the surface more clearly. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@kray if you feel the yearn (so to speak) and need to pursue enlightenment...you will whether you are in school, starting to work, mid-career, unemployed, changing careers, retired, or any other happening of life.  For pursuing enlightenment can happen while doing all these other things.

If you need to be convinced that it is worth pursuing, then you don't feel the yearn and can forget about enlightenment until later in life (as you said).

Eric Putkonen - stopped blogging and now do videos on YouTube - http://bit.ly/AdvaitaChannel

@kray hello friend....I don't recommend pursuing spiritual enlightenment unless you have a BURNING DESIRE TO FIND TRUE NATURE OF REALITY AND BEING......the kind of burning desire that makes you wake up in the middle night asking yourself questions like what the hell am i, who the hell am i, where the hell am i, when the hell am i, why the hell am i? 

If you don't find yourself asking yourself these questions, then I strongly advise you NOT to pursue enlightenment. Focus on creating a great life for yourself! 

"Truly, I have attained nothing from enlightenment" - quote attributed to the Buddha, but no one knows for sure because the Buddha didn't write anything down.

Only truth will survive. Or maybe... nothing will. Go ahead and see. Enlightenment is not some “thing” that one can reach.