Soul_Guy

Water Fasting

33 posts in this topic

I remember Leo saying he did a 14 day water fast. Did he ever end up talking about his results from the fast? @Leo Gura

I have an autoimmune condition myself and I've been doing some research into water fasting and how it can potentially cure diseases - it's something I'm planning on eventually trying out. If anybody else has any insights or experience with water fasting, I'd love to hear it!

@Soul_Guy Leo discussed his journey on the blog, it was few months ago so you may need to scroll a bit back. 

6 hours ago, Soul_Guy said:

I have an autoimmune condition myself

I know you asked Leo specifically so feel free to ignore this question but may I ask what the condition is and what have you tried so far? 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Oh awesome, I seem to have missed that blog post. Watching it now!

13 hours ago, Michael569 said:

I know you asked Leo specifically so feel free to ignore this question but may I ask what the condition is and what have you tried so far? 

Crohn's Disease. The main thing I've done is completely change my diet - super strict with what I eat now. And vitamins, probiotics, herbal supplements. Also things like Wim Hof breathing, cold showers, chakra meditations - anything that might have a slight chance of helping. I'm taking immunosuppressive medicine but obviously I don't want to do that for the rest of my life. The condition is under control right now but I stopped taking the medicine for a couple months to see what happens and it got worse, so I had to start taking it again. So it's clear I haven't found the root issue yet.

Edited by Soul_Guy

As I explained in my blog videos, I did not find the water fasting improved my health situation. And it is a serious pain in the ass to water fast for two weeks. To me the results don't warrant the suffering, discomfort, and lost productivity.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Wow, I didn't even know such a thing existed. Water fasting? That seems a little extreme.

8 hours ago, Peter Miklis said:

Wow, I didn't even know such a thing existed. Water fasting? That seems a little extreme.

Nah, dry fasting is extreme. 

13 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

As I explained in my blog videos, I did not find the water fasting improved my health situation. And it is a serious pain in the ass to water fast for two weeks. To me the results don't warrant the suffering, discomfort, and lost productivity.

I just watched your carnivore diet video! How is that going - still getting amazing results?

On 16/06/2021 at 1:42 AM, Soul_Guy said:

Crohn's Disease. The main thing I've done is completely change my diet - super strict with what I eat now. And vitamins, probiotics, herbal supplements. Also things like Wim Hof breathing, cold showers, chakra meditations - anything that might have a slight chance of helping. I'm taking immunosuppressive medicine but obviously I don't want to do that for the rest of my life. The condition is under control right now but I stopped taking the medicine for a couple months to see what happens and it got worse, so I had to start taking it again. So it's clear I haven't found the root issue y

Sorry to hear that, IBDs are not easy to deal with. Can you pinpoint a particular trigger point? Usually, stress is involved to a great degree, infection could be a case, extreme environmental exposure as well. Have you ever been assessed for something like Coeliac disease or other forms of allergy? IBD may also be triggered by undiagnosed or misdiagnosed food allergy that has been unchecked. 

Having history of smoking, drinking or recerational drugs can also be a trigger point for autoimmunity. Anything that comes to mind? 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

On 6/16/2021 at 3:20 PM, Soul_Guy said:

I just watched your carnivore diet video! How is that going - still getting amazing results?

Carnivore is boring as hell to eat. But my body gets the best performance out of it. It's amazingly good performance. It contradicts all the standard nutritional advice. This is one of the most surprising discoveries I made in the last few years. It makes no sense, but it just works. When your body feels good, it's hard to deny it.

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Carnivore is boring as hell to eat. But my body gets the best performance out of it. It's amazingly good performance. It contradicts all the standard nutritional advice. This is one of the most surprising discoveries I made in the last few years. It makes no sense, but it just works. When your body feels good, it's hard to deny it.

So with this diet your health issues are gone or very manageable ? Do you eat only meat ? You plan to add food one at a time to see what works ?

Have you tried Reiki for healing ? You can take micro or low dose of mushroom before the session for maximum benefits.

4 hours ago, Hello from Russia said:

@Leo Gura no problems with poop so far due to 0 fiber? 

No problems

1 hour ago, knakoo said:

So with this diet your health issues are gone or very manageable ?

Not gone, but much improved.

1 hour ago, knakoo said:

Do you eat only meat ?

For the last few months, yes.

1 hour ago, knakoo said:

You plan to add food one at a time to see what works ?

After I eliminate my bad gut bacteria.

1 hour ago, knakoo said:

Have you tried Reiki for healing ? You can take micro or low dose of mushroom before the session for maximum benefits.

Doesn't work for me.

11 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Leo, I'm curious. Are you also doing any herbs or any gut healing protocol or do you see carnivore as a long term solution? 

Leo Gura and Jordan Peterson on the carnivore diet! Very interesting you both suffer from a similar gut condition. 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Sorry to disillusion some of you guys. But for those with autoimmune conditions there is no going back to "normal diet". It's your wayward immune system that is causing it. Think of it as someone who gets a vaccine against a pathogen. The immune system is forever alerted by that pathogen entering the body. It is wired to react no matter what. Very similarly, and quite sadly, for those with some types of AI diseases, the white blood cells in the body sees food such as bread, chocolate, eggs as foes to defend against. Hence all the brain fog, severe fatigue, joint inflammation and all that. The only real solution is re-wiring the system altogether.....

9 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Reiki doesn't work for me.

So you felt nothing when you tried reiki ? I wonder if it's because you have a very masculine energy.

But honestly if you take low/medium dose of mushroom before a session it is impossible that you will feel nothing.

@Soul_Guy 

I recently did a 7 day fast, followed by 7 days of strict keto diet (about 1% carbs). I then got a blood analysis. My white blood counts were very low. The theory is that during a prolonged fast, autophagy removes old immune cells and stem cells are activated to produce new immune cells - thereby improving the immune system. A lot of people do fasting to improve autoimmune conditions. 

If this is your first fast, I would consider first doing a 3 day or perhaps 7 day. It can get a bit tricky with electrolytes and dealing with symptoms that may arise. I'd also recommend being committed, yet also listening to your body and not letting the ego take over. For the first 4 days, I only drank water to have a pure fast. Yet by day 5, I wasn't feeling well and something was going wrong. I thought I needed to ingest some electrolytes, yet my ego wanted to do a 100% water fast and not "fail". On day 5, I ingested a small amount of kale / spinach / electrolyte supplement / multivitamin for micronutrients. This was only 100 calories and didn't impact the effects of the fast - and I felt much better and could continue on for another 3 days. I then took electrolyte supplements each subsequent day. 

In terms of benefits and limitations of fasting, Peter Attia is the most experienced and knowledgeable imo. He has videos on all sorts of different fasting lengths and impacts.

This website provides evidence-based descriptions of fasting stages. They also have an app tracker, which I found helpful for motivation.  

1 hour ago, Forestluv said:

@Soul_Guy I thought I needed to ingest some electrolytes, yet my ego wanted to do a 100% water fast and not "fail". 

Why not just take some salt? 

Edited by Opo

@Leo Gura Do you also eat meat for breakfast?

Edited by Keef