Gianna

What is my body trying to tell me (Repost)

12 posts in this topic

Sorry if anyone responded to this thread earlier; it got wiped due to the bug and I need some help!

I was an avid runner until recently when I injured my left knee. I'm not even sure how it happened. But I decided to give my entire body a break and spend more intimate time with myself. After about 2 months of complete inactivity, I now am experiencing similar pain but in my hips, while the pain in my knee is still there. What the heck!? I took up yoga today because I cannot stand the inactivity any longer but why is my body not getting better? It's getting worse!? I feel like my entire body is breaking down.

What do you guys think my body is trying to tell me?

I don't have much stress in my life so it couldn't be that (at least I don't think!) 

you probably have tendonitis. In my experience, tendinitis is resistant to rest, it is more convenient to lower the intensity of the exercise. at rest no more than 2 weeks. your body is used to exercise and eliminating it causes discomfort. start running at a low pace again, with two days' rest between sessions. take turmeric powder with pepper, it is very good as a natural anti-inflammatory. Consider taking medical anti-inflammatories for the first few weeks. only with a few days of decrease in inflammation the tendons recover. learn to listen to your body to avoid injuries 

If you do very intense exercise, measure the pH of your urine. If it is below 6.0 (measure it with a digital meter, not with paper strips), supplement with magnesium and potassium citrate. They will make the pH of your body more balanced. acidic pH promotes injuries, rheumatism and even cancer. apart these minerals are abundantly lost with sweat and are necessary for proper muscle function

Edited by Breakingthewall

14 hours ago, Nahm said:

See a doctor of course, and also, sometimes pride can seem to prevent us from moving forward. 

Can you elaborate? 

On 6/14/2021 at 11:20 PM, Gianna said:

Sorry if anyone responded to this thread earlier; it got wiped due to the bug and I need some help!

I was an avid runner until recently when I injured my left knee. I'm not even sure how it happened. But I decided to give my entire body a break and spend more intimate time with myself. After about 2 months of complete inactivity, I now am experiencing similar pain but in my hips, while the pain in my knee is still there. What the heck!? I took up yoga today because I cannot stand the inactivity any longer but why is my body not getting better? It's getting worse!? I feel like my entire body is breaking down.

What do you guys think my body is trying to tell me?

I don't have much stress in my life so it couldn't be that (at least I don't think!) 

I'm a body worker by trade.  Describe injuring your left knee.  It's within reason that your knee injury caused you to use your body differently and place weight differently.  This could of of set something in your hip.  Is the hip pain, pain or slight discomfort?  Dull, broad, acute, pinpointable?  Does the knee still feel the same or changed since 2 months ago?

@Mu_ For my knee, it is a dull pain under my knee cap. It has felt the same for the entire 2 months. It feels like a sharp pain at some points, other times it's just an ache but I feel it when I walk, sit cross-legged, etc. 

As far as my hips, it's also a dull pain and sharp at some positions. It's extremely painful when I do a child pose when stretching. I have pain in both of my hips. Whereas, the knee is just my left. 

@Gianna if you have insurance go see a doctor and get a scan to find out what’s going on. Also go see a massage therapist and see if body work helps.  

From there you can make a informed decision. Surgery being the absolute last and something I wouldn’t do unless you tried everything and experimented with stuff. This can be a good opportunity to get more familiar with your body and self and grow your awareness on many levels. 

16 hours ago, Gianna said:

@Mu_ For my knee, it is a dull pain under my knee cap. It has felt the same for the entire 2 months. It feels like a sharp pain at some points, other times it's just an ache but I feel it when I walk, sit cross-legged, etc. 

As far as my hips, it's also a dull pain and sharp at some positions. It's extremely painful when I do a child pose when stretching. I have pain in both of my hips. Whereas, the knee is just my left. 

Disclaimer, I am not an expert on this so please see a doctor or another expert to confirm that you don't have a more serious problem or something different going on. Knee problems are common with runners and can be caused by many different things. Look into tight hip flexor issues and hip flexor stretches online. Tight hips are likely the cause of the knee issue, but my guess is that because of the break are now causing pain closer to where the source problem is. 

I'm also a runner and pretty sure I have the same hip pain you're talking about, child's pose can be really intense and painful at times when it's flaring up. I found a gentle lunge, hip flexor stretch, as well as pigeon pose and fire log held for a generous amount of time to be game changers. I do them right after running and also a modification of pigeon and fire log again in the morning. You may have to modify to get into those poses, and of course your problem might be different. 

At age 30 I suddenly went from not having to stretch much after runs to having a ton of pain until I figured out this routine. I also shorten my mileage, run on trails and swim more and do more dance/yoga stuff. I have found that a short run with stretching is far better than no run without stretching as the pain continues even if I totally stop running. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@Mu_ thank you Mu. 

@mandyjw This is really helpful! I do think you're right about the break causing pain closer to where the source is. I'll try out these stretches. I also found an online website that seems to have helped so far if you are interested. Here it is: diyjointpainrelief.com 

At least you made it to 30 before these problems, I'm 24 haha. Swimming is a great idea and I just started yoga this week.
thanks for your response! 

@Gianna I think you might have over stressed your body from over exercising? Few days ago I listened to a podcast that talked about how the 2 ectremes of movement are both damaging to our health. One extreme is inactivity, obvious that's not healthy. But the other extreme is for those overachievers, they do too much exercise, overtrain, that leads to the body gets too much stress and can't handle anymore, then the immunity decrease and injury start to occure. The best way to measure if you are doing the right amount of exercise, not too little and not too much, is HRV, Heart Rate Varibility. 

It was interesting learning about all those from that podcast. But actually I haven't started applying any of that yet... But I do plan to look more into HRV in the future. :)