fopylo

Issues I've faced trying to stop backsliding

4 posts in this topic

I've seen Leo's episode on How To Stop Backsliding, and it was really insightful and I was really happy that I found the video that I needed - The no bullshit explanation of how to make change in your life/how to stop procrastinating. I thought it would help me with starting to create music.

So he talks about things like homeostasis, proper expectations, support system, meditation and visualization habits.

Sorry if my issues sound stupid or silly to some but I'm telling you that I am honestly writing that and for me it is quite big. Anyways - 

The issues:

Visualization: I struggle to get on board with simply visualizing. I could visualize about visualizing.. about visualizing about visualizing... I just need this switch in my mind to start visualizing, because I feel I have mental resistance/dissonance towards building a vision in something realistic (and not like a dream) - I mean like visualizing me creating music on FL Studio (music software for those who don't know) and not me visualizing about myself being a great musician, being more reasonable. Also, isn't visualization counterproductive to developing awareness of thoughts?
Visualization presumes that I know what I want to achieve, the one thing, which leads me to my second struggle -

Clarity: I said that I am very interested in getting into (more like back to) music creation and I feel that I could do really great in it if I put the effort. I would be quite obvious for me to solely focus on that since I believe it is probably one of the things that can change me the most, but is it the most important thing? It would be really nice to have a habit of creating music, but how do I know if it is more important than focusing on the habit of practicing piano which I've got back into not long ago? Or maybe focusing on developing my awareness is the number one thing I should be doing...maybe starting to invest my money and reading books on finance? Leo mentioned that focusing on 2 things is not good in producing success and that it is the best to focus on one thing at a time. For me this will probably be hard as I tend to switch objectives. But let's say I have managed to get clear and focused on one thing, I feel like my life would be boring only putting my focus on it. And even when I achieve it and I move to the next, and next, and next, I will already lose progress from the things I've already changed and will go back to normal. I really struggle getting clear on what I want and I'm also entering a new phase of my life, quite scary for me if I'm being honest, and this in itself is already threatening my homeostasis.

So how do I deal with those 2 major issues?

It will really change the world for me if you could provide me with solutions to this very very tricky vicious rut that I've been stuck in for years already and took a long time to just get basic understanding of what's going on with me thanks to Leo's videos and especially this one.

Find out what message you want to express threw your music, what do you want the listener to feel/ get out of it. The more clear you are on that the easier it is to come up with visions for songs. Contemplate about this, a lot, what does the heart want to manifest? 

Clarity is something that comes once you start to settle into the groove of your creative process. It could just be a feeling in your heart that you start with (feeling like you want to pursue music) and then you follow that passion, let your curiosity find flow in it. 

Focusing on one thing can mean focusing on many things, notice all those things bleed into each other, you have to understand how to market your music, have awareness of how sound works, understand how to use your DAW, how to play the keyboard if that is important to the kind of music you want to make. 

You gotta go into the mineshafts to find the gold, your passion is like a torch, brighter the more you let it grow. Clarity is found by sifting threw the foggy confusion, following your curiosity & passion. 

The how is what you build, the why is in your heart. 

@OctagonOctopus

15 hours ago, OctagonOctopus said:

Find out what message you want to express threw your music, what do you want the listener to feel/ get out of it. The more clear you are on that the easier it is to come up with visions for songs. Contemplate about this, a lot, what does the heart want to manifest?

I have never really seriously contemplated that but I feel I have a good idea. In general I want to move people through music.

15 hours ago, OctagonOctopus said:

Clarity is something that comes once you start to settle into the groove of your creative process. It could just be a feeling in your heart that you start with (feeling like you want to pursue music) and then you follow that passion, let your curiosity find flow in it. 

Focusing on one thing can mean focusing on many things, notice all those things bleed into each other, you have to understand how to market your music, have awareness of how sound works, understand how to use your DAW, how to play the keyboard if that is important to the kind of music you want to make. 

All of that presumes I'm clear  that I want to focus on creating music. I said I feel like it's almost a calling, something that could change my life, but for this phase in my life there might be other things which are more important to focus on. I can't ditch everything else, as I want to grow in more areas in my life. Can't focus on one thing at a time - fitness, developing awareness, creating music, practicing piano, practicing my social skills, studying. I will break down that way.
This is so tricky omg

Essentially what I was saying before the forums data corruption was to experiment with different things, see what feels right to the heart. 

If you are unclear about something, experiment with it until you are clear about it. Get out of the overthinking cloud, connect to your creativity. 

The how is what you build, the why is in your heart.