impulse9

Does reality exist if you're not looking at it?

24 posts in this topic

Seems like a waste of cycles to render reality that isn't observed.

From your perspective (the only one available to you) If it's not experienced, it doesn't exist. 

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

@impulse9  Reality isn't being rendered if your brain isn't processing it, but it is still there.  In its unrendered state there are no objects, no scale, no time, only a single infinite continuous creative process.

Posted (edited)

I would say no it does not. The double slit experiment has some scientific insight into this. But, there are much more profound insights that can be experienced than just that experiment. I'd add the question: Does the rest of the world/universe exist besides what you are aware of when you are dreaming? Does it need to exist for you to believe it's "real"? 

Edited by Nos7algiK

Define reality. Ultimate reality is not the same as relative reality. In ultimate reality, there is no "you" to observe anything. Differentiation and perspective are bound to relative reality. It is all the same Consciousness, dreaming itself into different states of Self-awareness.

Posted (edited)

You cannot not look at reality. Saying does the tree there exist if I am not looking at it assumes there is a tree when I am not looking at it.

Edited by Windappreciator

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, Nos7algiK said:

The double slit experiment has some scientific insight into this.

A common misconception.  The layman interpretation of the double slit experiment is that reality somehow 'knows' that it's being watched and changes its behaviour accordingly, kind of like a shy person.  This is misleading though, as the word 'observation' in science refers to measurement.  When the light is observed, it behaves differently because to measure (or observe) the path of photons requires interaction with the photon, which affects its behaviour.  This is the point of the Schrodinger's cat analogy - you can't see the state of the thing to confirm it, because the act of looking affects the system.

Imagine you're tasked with mapping out the 3-dimensional shape of a ripple on water, only the only measurement tool you have is your finger.  You dip your finger in to feel the ripple, hoping to be able to feel its dimensions... only the moment your finger touches the surface, the ripple changes in response to your finger and you can no longer measure its previous state.  This is the way in which the double-slit experiment is puzzling, not because of any sneaky intelligence on behalf of the light.

My apologies for brief thread distraction, but I had the urge to clear this up.

Edited by kinesin

Posted (edited)

26 minutes ago, impulse9 said:

Ultimately when you move the window of consciousness, you're creating everything in a split of a second,

But it's quite useful to trick yourself into believing the world is always there, and that there is something on your sides and in your back, it creates an entire consistent reality you can explore and master.

Edited by Shin

Spirituality is not the renunciation of life

It is the art of living fully

Posted (edited)

@impulse9 in my experience, this is God realization. When one becomes aware they are willfully dreaming reality into existence. The boundary between subject and object collapses and you become so conscious you realize reality only exists within your mind! 

So whatever you see, is the only thing that exists.

Edited by Godishere

40 minutes ago, impulse9 said:

You ARE reality.  End of story.

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

Posted (edited)

45 minutes ago, kinesin said:

A common misconception.  The layman interpretation of the double slit experiment is that reality somehow 'knows' that it's being watched and changes its behaviour accordingly, kind of like a shy person.  This is misleading though, as the word 'observation' in science refers to measurement.  When the light is observed, it behaves differently because to measure (or observe) the path of photons requires interaction with the photon, which affects its behaviour.  This is the point of the Schrodinger's cat analogy - you can't see the state of the thing to confirm it, because the act of looking affects the system.

Imagine you're tasked with mapping out the 3-dimensional shape of a ripple on water, only the only measurement tool you have is your finger.  You dip your finger in to feel the ripple, hoping to be able to feel its dimensions... only the moment your finger touches the surface, the ripple changes in response to your finger and you can no longer measure its previous state.  This is the way in which the double-slit experiment is puzzling, not because of any sneaky intelligence on behalf of the light.

My apologies for brief thread distraction, but I had the urge to clear this up.

That is why I mentioned there are much more profound insights one can have besides what a scientific experiment shows. It is a stepping stone that hints our awareness somehow influences reality itself. After someone looks into the double slit experiment, one might look into quantum entanglement and that still is only a small glimpse to the personal insights we can have internally. It's not about jumping into the deep end right away, but rather slowing realizing what is potentially possible in order to open one's own beliefs.

Edited by Nos7algiK

Test it out, close your eyes and walk directly towards the tree at a fast pace and see what happens.

You may want to wear a football helmet.

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

At least half of it goes away...

Imagine something which can see ALL objective and subjective reality at once. And also imagine ONLY humans can see red.

When you see red, in objective reality we find wavelengths of light and electrical activity in the brain. In subjective reality we find the actual color red. That subjective thing is called qualia.

Now imagine humans go extinct. Now we find the qualia of red NOWHERE in either the objective OR subjective realms. Red is nowhere.

If a human is born again, here's red again in the subjective world.

32 minutes ago, VeganAwake said:

Test it out, close your eyes and walk directly towards the tree at a fast pace and see what happens.

LOL smart arse.... 

That's still a form of experience..

They mean when you don't experience it at all (includes touch).. Does it still exist.. 

I live my life in a dream; the constant threat of a rude awakening keeps me on my toes.
-Mettley Zimmer

Posted (edited)

39 minutes ago, VeganAwake said:

I laughed really hard at this for some reason

Edited by impulse9

Why you want to believe what a stranger in a forum will tell you? 

Discover the Truth for yourself. Only that way will be true ?

A thought can´t ever tell you how you feel.

@Javfly33 Because I wonder about it a lot and want to see other people's opinion on it.

1 minute ago, impulse9 said:

@Javfly33 Because I wonder about it a lot and want to see other people's opinion on it.

Truth is not about opinion. 

A thought can´t ever tell you how you feel.

@Nos7algiK You can only measure those particled by interacting with them. It's not pure observation in the double slit experiment. It's not really about consciousness, that's just a hypothesis for now.

How would you know that it exists if nobody is there to experience it. If you have a not-conscious camera that records something you can determine what happened when no conscious being perceived it.

Except if you take the panpsychic approach and say that everything is conscious, but then so.ething is ways perceiving something. Which wouldn't actually change anything.

You could also make the point that everything is just a deception, but you would have no proof and couldn't know if it's the case or not. Because even though it could be possible, the fact is that the awakening to the deception could also be a deception. So how would you know for sure? You can't.

You can only know that the matrix, whatever-this-is exists.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Someone here said:

LOL smart arse.... 

That's still a form of experience..

They mean when you don't experience it at all (includes touch).. Does it still exist.. 

Ahh gotcha hehe.

Well existence can be recorded, watching someone robb a bank for example on a recorded audio/video.

If you ask the people involved I'm sure they will tell you it was quite real.

I mean you can break it down to the brass tacks saying it's just energetic movement or a dream and nothing really happened, but you end up right back at THIS.

Whether that experience truly happened or not?.... it seems more like perspective than anything else.

Edited by VeganAwake

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi