Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dflores321

I Dont Even Know What I'm Doing During Meditation

22 posts in this topic

The answer is most likely because no one is meditating but it's an interesting thing. 

I started off in the very beginning with breath awareness, but now I just sit and do it lol, like theres no specific technique used, theres just focus on the third eye and being sensations.

What we can call thoughts still pass by and theres chaos, but what is the point in trying to silence it? Trying to silence the mind only inflates the ego as who is there to stop anything? 

Is it normal to just stop using a technique and just "do it"? 

^ Hope it makes sense. 

" We all need Samadhi to lean on."

-The Buddha

Posted (edited)

Meditation is for you to become conscious.
Learning how to focus on something is not doing that (cause you still apply willpower).

Being conscious is having a sort of meta awareness of what you're thinking, feeling, sensing.
In the end, you're not really doing anything, and if you "do" it right, your daily life should become like this on the long term.

Edited by Shin

Spirituality is not the renunciation of life

It is the art of living fully

@Shin yea this meta awareness is so fascinating, because you just gotta be conscious of it that's all (but there is no you so wtf). 

Like I'll be eating shit all day and then boom back to this meta awareness. 

-The Buddha

3 minutes ago, dflores321 said:

@Shin yea this meta awareness is so fascinating, because you just gotta be conscious of it that's all (but there is no you so wtf). 

I think breathing meditation is helpful in the beginning, if you understand that it's totally ok to have lots of thoughts and to feel restless.

If we don't understand that and expect the meditation to give a result of having no thoughts and be at peace all the time (or more and more), it's where I think most people don't get it and actually don't make any progress.

Meditation is more something you experience and see that's how you naturally are when you don't push the unconscious button on, instead of a method where you gain benefits to add to your self help portfolio.

In the first case it implies it's always there and that you can synchonize yourself to it whenever you want, in the second case you think you need to increase something and that if you don't, you're not going to go anywhere.

I mean there is truth to both, but if you have the second mindset exclusively, that's when people seems to not benefit from meditation, even on long term.

30 minutes ago, dflores321 said:

but what is the point in trying to silence it?

In meditation, the point of trying to silence the mind is to train concentration and nothing more.  Once you've developed a decent enough ability to retain concentration, you no longer have to do that.  If you're at the point where you can simply 'sit' and experience all of the things which sitting entails, then you've developed pretty good concentration.

Don't fall into the trap of believing that because you no longer need a certain method, that it never had any value.  Most people need to practice concentration meditation by focussing on a specific thing like the breath before they can attain the concentration levels required to explore the further stages.

@kinesin no traps fallen for. 

-The Buddha

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, dflores321 said:

I started off in the very beginning with breath awareness, but now I just sit and do it lol, like theres no specific technique used, theres just focus on the third eye and being sensations.

That is nice progress!  

There are more.   Many meditators people who already had few "awakenings" will just sit at this stage for long time (sometimes for the rest of their life).   They though they found "it".    "Third eye" is the right term.   But in Buddhist tradition, they don't event consider those true awakenings.

If you continue to work on it, and with help from teacher, nootropics, edible cannabis, psychedelics.. to show what possible...  Eventually, you will learn how to develop to higher stage.   Trust me, step through the next door is always very difficult comparing to previous door.  Even when it seems like a dead end, have some Hope and continue on it.

Someone can use psychedelics their whole life, seeing all kind of visions but never been able to get pass it.  To success, eventually you will learn how to master this all by yourself in sober state.  When enough awakenings happens and when enough insights are integrated, you will stop meditating....  Until some day you feel like you have lost track and you want to sit down again...   The process will repeat like spiral, up an down, up and down.

To me, awakening is just a start of a real struggling path, to integrate what you experienced and develop further.  

Edited by Tim Ho

Hakuna matata

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, dflores321 said:

That makes me think of a day where I was cursing my boss for the whole day in my head, and then when the shift ended, I magically became fully conscious with a dream like quality to reality that was quite new.

I was forced to be conscious of all those negative thoughts for hours every day for weeks prior to that.

That was both natural and unreal, as if I entered a totally different reality and yet everything was the same.

Now it's like a second nature, thank you boss for being an ass ?

Edited by Shin

@Tim Ho thank you :).

But the focus on the third eye wasn't indicative of an awakening experience. I just focus on that area since I've been doing it since the beginning of my practice. 

I guess you could say my third eye opened about 3 years ago. But I have no interest in the chakras at this point. All the flashy chakras and visionary experiences are still limited form, I want to transcend it all.

I've also let go of all mind altering substances already, I've posted it in the health section ??.

Still some learning or rather unlearning left... or maybe not ;).

-The Buddha

Posted (edited)

@dflores321 

Yes, that is right.  Third eye stage is not awakening.  I think it is a stage when Consciousness start to have some control of our thoughts.  After an awakening, it is a bit easier to get into this stage.  It is being... 

As long as you are happy, or being.  It is all good, I know nothing.   ♥

Edited by Tim Ho

Hakuna matata

Keep going I noticed that experience of suddenly not knowing what are you really doing here is a recurring one. 

Imo it’s best to work on the jhanas if they haven’t been explored or entered into yet. That alone will eliminate almost any possibility of ever feeling needy again, but it’s the beginning of a whole meditative universe of exploration.

Remember, it's not about what you know, it's about what you *are*

@The0Self I'm not really interested in the jhanas if it isnt true enlightenment I want the real thing. 

-The Buddha

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, dflores321 said:

@The0Self I'm not really interested in the jhanas if it isnt true enlightenment I want the real thing. 

You do not want it! ;)

But just as a thought experiment: if enlightenment were some exalted thing one could acquire — the highest achievement — how would one attain it if they hadn’t even attained jhanas?

Edited by The0Self

@The0Self idk honestly. I'm just done with all the steps and this story of attain this, attain that, etc. 

-The Buddha

3 minutes ago, dflores321 said:

@The0Self idk honestly. I'm just done with all the steps and this story of attain this, attain that, etc. 

Perhaps just have fun with it. Seeing That Frees (Rob Burbea) made the path a lot of fun for me. Jhanas are all about (unspeakably intense) fun... but also the stillness provided can help insight.

@The0Self I dont think the jhanas are necesarry for enlightenment. 

Also, I remember you told me I had reached something called the witness. Where is that from? I'd like to read about it. 

-The Buddha

2 minutes ago, dflores321 said:

@The0Self I dont think the jhanas are necesarry for enlightenment. 

Also, I remember you told me I had reached something called the witness. Where is that from? I'd like to read about it. 

It goes by different names depending on the teacher:

Sifting to the Truth (Akilesh) calls it the spacious mind

Rob Burbea called it the Vastness of Awareness

Kenneth Folk: The Witness

Adyashanti; Roger Castillo; others: Witnessing

@The0Self just read about the spacious mind, very true. 

I literally fall for the trap of eating food and watching youtube all day, but then I meditate and I'm like aha! I love this spaciousness! 

-The Buddha